You are here

SS Bedwetting at 9yrs old!?!!?

ReadySetNot's picture

My ss9 is still wetting the bed, he had stopped for a while but now for about a month or so he has started doing it again, He does it at BMS house also. He wakes up in the morning and he will just put on clean cloths if he peed the bed, and then its like pulling teeth trying to get him to shower. He seems to think that by putting clean cloths on it makes it ok. I have stoped giving him liquids at 7pm seeing as he goes to bed at 9pm. I have also cut caffeine out of his diet completly. I thought the nighttime pullups for kids was a good idea but my Fh and the BM both say "It's to embarassing for him" Does anyone have nay bedwitting ideas or tips??

DoingItAgain's picture

My BS9 just stopped wetting the bed... when I stopped letting him sleep in pull-ups. He's had a couple accidents since but mostly stopped. The pull-ups were letting his sleep more 'comfortably'.

Just stop the drinks at night, make sure they go potty right before bed and don't let them wear a pull up. If they have an accident, they need to strip the bed and bring soiled clothes to laundry room. They will eventually stop on thier own time.

NaturallyMom's picture

First off, after ruling out sexual abuse, because this is a major symptom, SS8's therapist said that euranesis (sp??) happens when kids feel a whole lot of stress while they are awake and then they release it in their sleep.
SS8 does it sometimes, mostly after he is done visiting BM. He gets stressed out up there because he thinks she doesn't love him, he will lose his toys, etc.
So to relieve stress in the daytime, we put SS8 in soccer and he just runs it out it would seem.
He doesn't drink after 7pm and I make him go to the toilet before he goes to sleep. This seemed to curb it for the most part. Hope this helps!

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Wicked.Step.Monster's picture

I don't think much about kids wetting the bed really late anymore after going through this with perfectson. He wet the bed until he was 12!!! I had him evaluated for EVERYTHING. They decided he was basically a super heavy sleeper with a super small bladder! lol They could have given him medication to help but I really hated to do that unless we really really had to. Medicines that affect bladder control can then have some ugly side effects too. He wore those goodnights to bed every night and he hated it. I mean he was truly humiliated by it so it wasn't just him being lazy about it at all. The last thing we tried was accupuncture and whether it was actually the accupuncture or the placebo effect from the accupuncture (I'm really not sure which!) he stopped. It literally just stopped and he never did it again. Either way, that was the best money I ever spent!

Good luck with this and remember that sometimes it really is just one of those things way beyond any of our control!

Bradybunchmom's picture

My BD8 does this. Her dad also did it until he was 9 or 10, so I wonder if this is genetic? I am guessing in her case it has to do with a small bladder because she has issues during the day as well, if she has to go she has to go! She is also a very heavy sleeper. Maybe I will put her into a sport of some kind and see if that helps some how. I have been reluctant to try the pullups cause I dont think this is a psychological issue, and I dont want to make it one.

Wicked.Step.Monster's picture

We went with the goodnights for perfectson because he slept so hard that he could completely soak himself and still wouldn't wake up so frankly I would rather him not sleep in it. Ick! I do think there is something genetic behind it as perfectson's dad also wet the bed until he was 9 or 10. When perfectson would get embarassed about the goodnights I would remind him that if LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of children didn't have this same problem, they wouldn't make them, so he wasn't a weirdo for it happening to him. Perfectson was always involved in sports and activities and nothing made a bit of difference until the day it just stopped!

Sus's picture

my grand daughter use to wet, and she was 12, besides stopping the drinking, the last drink she had was at about 7 pm. We also made her go before bed & then when the adults went to bed we woke her up and walked her to the bathroom, sat her down and made sure she went..THAT HELPED the most!!
Before doing the 11-12 P.M. wake up, we bought the pads (several) they use in Nursing homes ( water proof on one side , quilted on the other) and washable, very large fir across the bed width wize and BIg enough for a large child.. she slept with that under her. That helped keep down on the laundry, sheets blankets PJ's mattress covers etc. Then we just tossed that in the wash instead of the entire Bed. When the childs older they must be responsible to clean their own bedding, in the morning, if they wet, have them strip the bed or what ever is wet, take it to washer etc, then have them make the fresh bed.
They shouldn't be punished or made ashamed of it, there's many reasons why they wet. WE also had every test available done. They couldn't find anything wrong. They do make a pill, ( ask pediatrician )that the child can take for bed wettiers now.. You might look into that !

ReadySetNot's picture

Thanks everyone ill look into the bed wetting pill. I have done everything I can think of ss9 is not a sporty kid what so ever so I can't try that out. I don't think its sexual abuse.