You are here

Not wanting to be intimate after ex has been over at house

caitlinj's picture

Ex has been over to pick up the kids. I was not home. It has caused me to lose the desire to be intimate with my dh.  I don’t exactly feel like getting it on knowing your ex was just here. Is this weird or am I over reacting?, jealous, possessive, weird, etc.?

MrsStepMom's picture

It seems like there is some insecurity you’re feeling.    I think you should think about it an explore why. Was it her house before and you feel like she’s trying to come back? Do you not trust your SO and her? 

hereiam's picture

I didn't think that you guys even lived together, or that you were married.

Your posts (and your relationship) confuse the hell out of me.

Monkeysee's picture

Was she actually in the house, or just there to pick up the kids? If she was in the house, you need to draw a line w your SO about boundaries. She doesn’t need to be in the house to pick the kids up.

If she was just there to collect them, you need to take a look at why that’s bothering you. Was she supposed to wait until you arrived home to collect her children? 

Cbarton12's picture

I think this may be overreacting and an insecurity issue. 

I mean she has the right to pick up her kids and I dont think or agree that you need to be there when she does. 

Was she inside the house and hung out?? Or did she just pull up, collect the kids, and ciao?

lieutenant_dad's picture

Are you two living together? And are you married? Your previous posts state you don't live together and you refer to him as BF.

In this instance, I think it makes a difference. If this is your BF's home that you don't live in, then he gets to set the terms of who comes to it and stands inside it.

Now, you get to set the terms of when you are intimate with him, if at all. I don't suggest using sex, or lack thereof, as a consequence for him doing something you don't like. If you don't like his boundaries with BM, talk to him about it. If he won't change, then either deal with it or break up. You can tell him that her being in his home turns you off and makes you not want to be intimate so he can make an informed decision. But if you withhold sex because you don't get what you want, then you are making it okay for him to do the same to you.

caitlinj's picture

No we do not live together however this is one of the reasons we do not live together because I do not want to lvie in a house the ex feels like they can just come in and hang out espically when I am not there. It makes me not want to live there.

lieutenant_dad's picture

Then there is your answer.

Your BF isn't willing to change his behavior so that you feel comfortable living there. You won't live there unless his behavior changes. This is the pattern of your relationship until something changes.

He isn't going to change, and you don't want to be intimate. So you'll be living in a sexless relationship, alone, in your own domicile, with no foreseeable path toward reconciling your differing viewpoints. Do with that knowledge what you will.

flmomma08's picture

Like everyone else has asked, was she just picking up the kids and leaving or was she there hanging out? Big difference.

caitlinj's picture

She is picking the kids up or dropping them off but always goes into the house and hangs out for 10-15 minutes with the kids. No I do not live there however it is making me not want to live there in the future if that is what is going on. Yes we have discussed this and all he says is "She's their mother, what's the big deal? Do you not trust me? It is for the kids." I'm not sure if it is an insecuity on my part. It might be however I just wish she would not go into his house and hang out, pet the dogs and cats, etc. It feels odd. What is also weird is she is not dating anyone. I do not see why it is a big deal for her to wait on the driveway.

Monkeysee's picture

‘For the kids’ is not a good enough reason to cross boundaries your partner needs to have in place. Most people wouldn’t want an ex in their home just hanging out, that’s a pretty reasonable expectation that she wait outside. Have you considered counselling?

ProbablyAlreadyInsane's picture

^ "for the kids" is that bullcrap response for someone that sees the issue but is either to lazy or scared to actually fix the issue.

flmomma08's picture

I understand why this makes you uncomfortable, especially since you have expressed this to your bf and he refuses to stop letting her in the house. In my experience, dropoffs and pickups were done quickly - DH/BM just pulled up, SD came out, and that was that. I don't get the going in and hanging out thing.

Harry's picture

No reason for BM to be in the home.  “ It’s for the kids “ Has to stop.  Or you get your SO and BM going on vacation together for the kids.  Time for a heart to heart talk with your SO.  Either he stop this nonsense or your are done with him.  Make him pick.   If he picks BM. He is not for you, you will never be first 

Thumper's picture

"Everyone must agree on the adult rules".

IF you dont agree...then it is a NO GO.

IF your boyfriend and his ex dont care what you think...WHAT do you think about that?

pinklove0015's picture

sounds like you are insecure and don't trust your partner...Ever consider couples counseling? Or if it's something you cannot fix then leave. If there is no trust in the relationship you have nothing.

Leilene's picture

Trust doesn’t mean that a man gets to tip toe on boundaries of respect and his partner is to pretend it’s okay and ignore the negative emotional ripple effect. The concept of trust is no excuse for a partner to ignore and overlook the feelings of their significant other. Most men and women wouldn’t want to have to deal with an ex imposing upon their living space for 15-20 min regularly because most people would have never been interested in a future where the ex has an ongoing, active, permanent slot. Not being willing or interested to let your partner’s ex have a regular position in your life or home doesn’t equal insecurity; that’s the normal, natural  way things are when children are not a factor. 

nengooseus's picture

You want to set the boundaries in one place and your SO thinks they should be somewhere else.  You and your SO need to negotiate where you're both comfortable setting the boundaries.  Couple's counseling would probably help.

But for the record, you get to feel however you want when your boundaries are stomped. 

Harry's picture

a new relationship .  The new partner has to put up with a lot of old baggages. If you want a new relationship then you have to do certain things. Like not letting your EX into your home.  Or start the new relationship with someone who will allow you to being your EX into the home. And may allow your new partner to bring EX boy friends into the home also.  

Leilene's picture

If you have already expressed your discomfort and anxiety and he has overlooked and ignored it, then this is an early indication of your emotional needs coming second to his ex and children. He’s either too spineless or too overly concerned with the feelings of his ex. It is not beneficial or necessary for separated parents to maintain wonderful, unrealistic ideas for children that border on inappropriate. It’s disrespectful towards your feelings as the new partner and could brew animosity within the children when there’s finally a shift. 

Dating single parents who are permanently tied to their ex sucks enough. If they insist on being a tornadic, chaotic, destructive presence pre-marriage, get out of the situation and find a better mate ! 

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

Co-parent situations differ from person to person. If it works for him he might not want to change it and you might have to respect it. The fact is you DON’T live there. That means you don’t have any say it what happens there. If you have issues then you need to deal with them and accept this might not change.

They are being friendly. They are handling exchanges the way that works for them. If you trust your partner you may need to accept that.

I’ve ALWAYS had issues with BM and her hostility yet exchanges have always happened at the door and sometimes they both step into each other’s home. SO has gone all the way to the kids’ rooms before because he’s picked them up and carried them out to the car. BM is allowed into our living room while the kids grab their backpacks and we exchange important information. Exchanges take about 5 to 10 minutes and I like the way we handle it. They see adults interact in an appropriate manner that shows respect for both parents.

Just because they are friendly doesn’t mean they are crossing the line. You seem very territorial which I understand but a living room isn’t territory. It’s a space for guest, both personal and professional. Consider them co-workers and their job is to raise the child. Would you not allow your coworker in to discuss an important project?

In the end some co-parents have to do exchanges at police stations while some do “family” vacations each year with parents and step-parents. You have the right to decide if you are comfortable with your partner’s interactions but you don’t have the right to dictate what they do. You can express your discomfort and discuss what you would like changes. He has the right to agree to adjust or say no.

Siemprematahari's picture

Most women need to have an emotional connection before they can entertain the thought of sex. You seem to have lost the emotional and respect for him which explains you not wanting to be intimate with him. These things go hand and hand and the longer you keep accepting the BS, the worse its going to be. You have to re-evalutate your relationship because it's literally drying up as you respond to these posts.