You are here

New baby on the way and worried about space

Sandy00's picture

Hi All, I am new to the site but I have dropped in from time to time for information and advice for quite a while and I found it very useful Smile Well a bit of background, I am married to a wonderful man with two stepsons who stay EOW, they are 15 and 19 years old. They live with their mother and stepfather who live only about 10 minutes away. I have no kids of my own yet but I am due to have our first early next year (we are over the moon!!)

My husband and I live in a two bedroom house and the boys stay in one of the bedrooms in bunk beds when they stay with us. The room is fairly small so there is just enough room for the bunk beds , chest of drawers and a wardrobe. Now here is my worry, what are we going to do about space when the baby arrives?? I've been losing sleep over this now and want to have this sorted before the baby comes, as it'll be the last thing I want to worry about afterwards.

The only suggestion I could think of is to take down the bunk beds (which are empty 90% of the time) and turn it into the babies room, maybe buy a sofa bed for when the kids stay, but my husband does not want to take down the bunk beds, which will leave very little room for the cot and everything else that goes with having a new baby. i can understand my hubby not wanting the kids to stay on a sofa bed but what are the alternatives, I am panicking over this and getting really upset. Plus I can't see two teenage boys wanting to share a room with a baby anyhow. help! Any advise is much appreciated:?

Sandy00's picture

Thanks guys, you've really given me alot to think about, so I'm kinda leaning towards the sofa bed idea but it'll be in the living room. It'll cost a bit to get a proper one but it's alot cheaper then getting a bigger place which we defo can't afford at the moment. I agree the first few months the baby will be in with me but we can sit down and have a chat with the boys to see if they mind sleeping in a sofa bed afterwards so that the baby can have it's own room, just until we can afford something more permanent. Already the amount of nights they want to stay is dwindling..from 6 nights to 4 nights every month, with them wanting to go out and stay with their friends, gaining more independance so it may not be for much longer anyhow, would still always like the option there for them to stay though so we'll work on it Smile