You are here

Marrying a parent who is unwilling to budge.

pwoodlson's picture

I have been in a relationship with my SO for several years now. He keeps mentioning wanting to live together then marry and pointing out couples who have been together for less time who are married. Im a little apprehensive for several reasons. I love him and care for him very much and want to make this work but it is more challenigng than I had imagined. The first are his children's behaviors. I care about his kids and they are not bad kids whatsoever however I do feel they are not the best behaved sometimes and they tend to rule the household any many ways. Im not comfortable with this. To give him credit he has made many changes and gotten more strict with them however the parenting is not where I want it to be quite yet. There are also times their bad behaviors are ignored and he makes excuses for them. I do not like this. The second is he not willing to compromise on which area we will live. He is set on living in a certain area that is a lot further from my workplace and will not budge on that because on his kids' schools and it is close to bio mom, mother in law, father in law, etc. I understand this completely. But Im not looking forward ot adding another 25-30 minutes onto my drive to work each espeically during the winter. Again he is not willing ot budge on this. There are also times when his kids' have misbehaved where I have mentioned it and he has gotten angry with me for bringng it up saying Im making a big deal over nothing. It made me feel awful. I also caught him lying, or ommiting truths and tried to mislead me a couple of times a long time ago. One was when I asked him what certain photos he was he was looking at on his phone and he denied they were a social media account he had set up without telling me then he said he didn't say that and made me feel crazy. The other time I found out he neglected to tell me his ex came over and I confronted him and he said I was over reacting and shouldnt have looked at his phone anyways. Am I being selfish for not moving in yet?

TrueNorth77's picture

Hell no! I think moving in should be put on the back burner until a) he can prove he can parent these kids. Trust me, moving into this situation, when the parenting isn't at an appropriate level, is extremely frustrating. If he's going to get mad at you every time you mention his kids misbehaved, that's not ok. I've had issues with this with my SO (not exactly the same, I can tell him when skids misbehave and he doesn't get mad), and we've worked on it. Luckily he has made changes. But not everyone is so lucky, some DH's are unwilling to budge. Make sure he WILL budge, before you get yourself stuck living with him!  and, b) You trust him! Why is he hiding stuff and lying? Please don't move in until you get that figured out and you are confidant it is behind you.

Do you feel like he is the person for you?

Rainydaze777's picture

You're in the right.

It's easy to turn a blind eye to things when you're in the situation.

My fiancé said I was being 'crazy' and 'blowing things out of proportion '

No, I wasn't 

pwoodlson's picture

Thank you. I appreciate everyone’s feedback. Maybe I’m just being a little cautious (or overly paranoid ;)) but I believe waiting will not be a bad thing. Sure we have been together for several years but I don’t see the need to move on yet. Call me crazy!

ndc's picture

Waiting is a good thing.  The secrecy, lack of willingness to compromise and parenting differences are red flags.  Make sure you get comfortable with all of that before you move in.  That said, I do think I'd move in with him before I married him (or got pregnant!)   There are some things you just won't know or experience in connection with his kids and his parenting of the kids until you live it firsthand.

susanm's picture

I agree with what everyone has posted.  But I am curious if you have asked him WHY he is so insistent that you move in and/or get married.  You said that he points out other people who have been together longer.  So, it is just because it "is time?"  Comparing a time table for a relationship against other people is kind of high school, isn't it?  Is it that he needs help around the house or with the kids or financially?  Because I think you know what the answer to that is!  The only really good answer to the question is that he just can't stand to not be with you and each day not waking up next to you makes him sad.  If that were the case, some compromise as far as understanding that you need to feel comfortable with his parenting, or at least that talking about it will not cause a fight every time, and that where he currrently lives is not compatible with your work.  Does he really want to see you add an hour of drive time to your day so that his life does not have to change even a little bit?

I would be asking him some specific questions and really listening to the answers.  I would also be asking myself if I wanted to get married or if a more independent life was more my style.  Either way, this may or may not be the person for you.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Not every relationship ends with a ring and that doesn't mean it was bad.  It just means it ran its course.

Merry's picture

HE won't compromise? Fine. That doesn't mean YOU have to compromise. You can be just as unwilling to add an additional 30 min to your commute. "Ok, I guess we're not ready to move in together just yet if neither of us is willing to budge." Caution, he will be mad at YOU for not compromising while remaining steadfast in HIS unwillingness to compromise. It will be your fault no matter. Man baby alert.

But there are more red flags than this. Making you feel crazy, and blaming you for overreacting to a situation that he lied to you about (lie through omission is still a lie) are classic gaslighting techniques. He is not being honest with you.

Tred carefully here.

Besiege's picture

Well, I think he's completely in the right on the moving thing, personally. It would be much easier for you to have a longer drive into work every day then to move his kids further away from their mother and grandparents, and out of their school district. He most likely has a relatively small radius in which he'd even be able to move without going through court. I don't see why his kids should be uprooted so much just so your commute stayed short. I wouldn't do that either, if I were him.

That said, you're also in the right for not being ready to move in. The commute excuse sounds selfish to me, but I'm also willing to bet that that's actually a red herring for your more serious hesitations about wanting to live with him and his kids. I'm guesisng that if everything else were great, the commute wouldn't seem like a deal breaker to you. Bottom line, you aren't 100% on board and gung ho about it, so don't do it. You guys aren't on the same page, so it doesn't matter who is right or wrong or selfish. It just matters that it's not going to work, at least as things stand now.

Winterglow's picture

About the commute ... I think it all depends on how much of a commute she is already doing every day. If it's taking her over an hour one-way already, not wanting to add another half an hour isn't as selfish as you might think. 

caitlinj's picture

What I find more concerning in your situation are his lies of omission about his exes visits to his house, texts, his social media page denial to your face, him misleading you, etc. and him making you feel crazy when you caught him in the act in all of these things. I also find it unsettling that when his children misbehave he has turned on you instead of addressing their behavior. I'm sure the extra 30 commute wouldn't be a big deal if he wasn't such a squirrley, shady, dishonest, (and possibly emotionally abusive) partner. But his behavior towards you would make anyone feel resentful and it would make that commute seem very long and even uneccesary in your life. It's not so much the compromise, but what are exactly you compromising for? To be treated like garbage at home? No thanks! I think moving in should be put on hold until he can demonstrate he can parent his kids appropriately, consistantly, and he can prove he is an honest upstanding guy who doesn't play games, hide things from you and turn on you, throw a manbaby tanturm when he gets caught. He needs to make peace with his past behaviors towards you in order to move forward and change. I suggest couples therapy.

Livingoutloud's picture

It’s unrealistic to expect him to move kids out of school and away from family so girlfriend has shorter commute. Totally unrealistic. 

Id also warn you against making drastic decisions based on what he is “mentioning” about marriage. Hinting is often just done  to keep you around. Those other couples  that are married already are likely married because a man proposed. If your boyfriend is not proposing, how are you supposed to be married? If you uproot yourself you might end up being a live in girlfriend with long commute for another 15 years. 

caitlinj's picture

I agree with what you said. I wouldnt want to move in with a man again unless we were married. I've seen the never ending live in gf thing play out for way too long.

susanm's picture

Agreed.  Marriage is not something that everyone wants.  For many couples who have both been married before and do not want children together there seems to be little reason to get married.  After all, you can legally lock down everything except transfer of Social Security benefits to take care of all financial and health care needs.  It comes down to a moral or social thing.  But if someone does want marriage then it needs to be made clear as a non-negotiable.  Everyone knows women who have moved into a marital-type situation without "sealing the deal" and the man mysteriously lost motivation to do anything about it.  Gee, wonder why?  He has everything he needs and she is unlikely to leave if he keeps making vague promises once in a while.  

Livingoutloud's picture

In my experience men who want to be married to a woman, don’t just mention or hint, they buy a ring and propose. 

susanm's picture

Exactly.  They don't just make vague statments about "getting engaged someday" or "we may as well be married already" or "we need to do blah-blah-blah first."  If they know marriage is important to you and they don't make it happen, they don't want to marry you.  It is pretty basic.

Harry's picture

The support system.  IL, family.  You must get out of the old marriage home.  Since they  Divorce there should be no loyalty to BM. An when you get into a new relationship thing have to change.  Can’t live old life with the new person. BM She should not be allowed into the home.   I see nothing wrong in moving 30 miles away if it benefits both of you.  Does moving where you want, Make his drive to work better or worst ?   Are there other factors except SK 

Besiege's picture

I haven't seen anything that references any sort of loyalty to BM. But bio parents living 30 miles away is a drag on everyone. Assuming they'd have split custody, they'd have to be driving 30 miles to school every time they're with dad (or, if they change schools, every time they're with mom). And then that 30 miles back in the afternoon. They have soccer practice at 5? Well, they either have to drive 30 miles home, wait an hour and then drive miles back to soccer, or they have to sit around on that side of town for 2 hours until practice starts. You have soccer from 5-6:30, drive your 30 miles back home, scarf down some dinner, then you realize Billy forgot part of his school project at BM's house. Back out you go again. Billy's school friends don't want to come over and hang out because it's too far away. Seriously, it'd be a royal pain. It's not impossible, but it'd be a royal drag on everyone, and there'd have to be a really compelling reason. 

Harry's picture

The support system.  IL, family.  You must get out of the old marriage home.  Since they    Divorcebe  there should be no loyalty to BM. An when you get into a new relationship thing have to change.  Can’t live old life with the new person. BM She should not be allowed into the home.   I see nothing wrong in moving 30 miles away if it benefits both of you.  Does moving where you want, Make his drive to work better or worst ?   Are there other factors except SK 

still learning's picture

The main reason to get married is to buld a life together. In your case SO already has a life built and family support where he's at and he wants you to be a pretty asscessory to it rather than an actual decision making full life partner. He cares only about his and his childrens comfort not yours.  The children and BM's needs will ALWAYS come before yours. I can see his POV, uprooting kids and changing schools, moving further from family would be very disruptive sooooo...you get to make the sacrifice rather than him.  If this kind of arrangement is alright with you then go for it. If you expect more from a life partner then you may want to keep your options open.  

I say stall and stay where you are.