You are here

Learning to ride a bike...

PeanutandSons's picture

Posted this in the blog section too.

BS is turning 3 this week. He has been on a tangent for the past couple days that he wants the training wheels off of his bike. I just figured that he'd forget about it and move on, but he's sticking with it.

Last night he was in tears asking me to take the two little wheels off his.bike so that his bike will only have two wheels. It broke my heart, so I told him that I would take them off this weekend after he turns 3 and we would try it out.

Dh is not happy with this. He says BS is way too young and that he is not enjoying his childhood. He doesn't even want to have me let BS try. Am I crazy to try and teach him this young?

When did you teach your kids to ride a bike?

ctnmom's picture

If he's ready for the training wheels to come off, he's ready to try. (If he can't quite do it put them back on without a lot of to-do.) What a brave little boy!!!!!

friendorfoe's picture

If he thinks he's ready, go ahead and try! Just make sure he's safe when falling. Props to your son for being so adventurous! I think it's great!

PeanutandSons's picture

I think part of it is that he doesn't like the idea that Sd9 still doesn't know how to ride. He will never come out and say it, but I think he wants her to learn first.

But if I waited for the skids to dictate when my son can do things, he will never be allowed to learn anything. Not my fault the skids had lazy ass mothers who taught them nothing but how to be lazy.

I think he will do well. He's very coordinated and has a good drive. And he's still young enough that he doesn't have an irrational fear of falling.

knucklehead's picture

Why doesn't DH get off his duff and teach SD??

I think 3 maybe be a little young, but give it a shot and see.

PeanutandSons's picture

Through the years I've bought the skids each about 3 bikes, as they outgrew them. After trying to teach the skids for YEARS, and them putting no effort in... I refused to buy them new bikes when they outgrew their last ones until they got serious about it.

SS used his birthday money last year (when he turned 9) to buy himself a bike, thinking he could put his old training wheels on it. Well, they didn't fit, so he had to learn. So he's been riding for about a year and half. SD has had enough money to buy herself a bike on 4 occasions since then, and says she doesn't want a bike.

So I am sure as heck not spending 100 buck + on a bike for a kid who doesn't want to learn.

my.kids.mom's picture

I've seen 4 yo on bikes better than older kids, and they had to have learned early. I say go for it. We can't control when our kids learn stuff. My daughter taught herself how to swim at 4, which made my son, 5 even more eager to do it as well. They do notice these things, but you shouldn't hold someone back because of age.

Anywho78's picture

My sister cried and begged for her training wheels to come off when she was 3...this is because she had a crap load of older siblings zipping around on 2 wheeled bikes. My mom took them off for her & she proceeded to fall...A LOT. She refused help from ANYONE...watching her sometimes was pretty humorous. By 4 she was excellent on her bike.

Depends on the kid I guess...your DH is being a booger head...ignore him.

dledden's picture

Why not let him try, obviously the trainingwheels can go back on if necessary. My ss8 can't ride a bike, and my bs6 can only ride with training wheels, so kudos to you if you can get a 3 yr old cycling on his own!! Smile

PeanutandSons's picture

I think the "not enjoying his childhood" comment was more in refernce to Bs's personality. He is very motivated and driven, so he is always working on that next step, or next accomplisment. So, as a result he is very advanced for his age and not your "typical" two year old. He acts, mentally and physically more like a 4/5 yr old.

And that's esp exaggerated when compared to the skids, who act much younger than their ages. So in Dh's mind, a 2 yr old shouldn't be worried about learning to ride without training wheels, he should be happy just running around in circles, or something. His other kids didn't even know how to pedal at 4.5 yrs and 3.5 yrs when I met them.

PeanutandSons's picture

He doesn't have the ocd, but he likes to have a task to work on. He'd rather be helping me with housework or yard work to playing or watching tv most of the time. He wants to be able to do whatever he sees someone else doing. Skids are riding thier razor scooter? He worked at it until he figured out how to ride them at 18 months. He vacuums the floor all by himself, he unloaded the drier all by himself..... Not because I make him, but because he wants to. He will completely dress himself in the morning, all the way down to socks and shoes. Lol, my threat to get him to listen to me is "are you going to listen to mommy's words, or am I going to do it for you?" Because having someone else do something for him is the absolute worst to him.

PeanutandSons's picture

He made it about 30 feet before it started raining and cut our lesson short Smile

Probably going to take a few weekend for him to really pick it up, but he's making progress.