You are here

Lawyer Switch - something seems fishy ..

SMof2Girls's picture

DH got a letter from his attorney's office on Friday saying that his lawyer is no longer associated with the firm, effective immediately. He has been appointed a new attorney until they hear from him on how he'd like to proceed. They went on to include her credentials and she seems okay, but he's got a meeting set up with her tomorrow afternoon to meet face to face.

Anyone dealt with this before? DH has had a lot of issues with his last attorney not being responsive, giving lazy advice, etc .. but we've never actually switched.

I'm only hoping that this ends up being a GOOD thing and not a bad one .. we're expecting quite a few issues to surface this summer with BM since she's moving back here permanently.

oldone's picture

Sounds like you ex attorney got fired - not a big surprise given what you stated about past performance.

If you loved your ex attorney you certainly could follow her. But since that doesn't seem to be the case look at the new one as a good thing. But make it clear to her in the interview what you were unhappy with in how your questions were handled in the past.

SMof2Girls's picture

That's the plan. DH is hoping it's an easy transition .. but we'll see. Luckily all of his information is still housed in the same firm so he doesn't have to provide everything all over again.

Fingers crossed! Biggrin

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

I am thinking this could be a really good thing for you! You get a fresh start, without having to fork over more retainer. Usually women are more agressive than men, at least in my experience.

SMof2Girls's picture

His last attorney was a woman, but she really stunk. He met with the new one the other day, and she seems pretty awesome. The lead partner in the firm came in and offered his apologies for the old lawyer .. apparently LOTS of people had the same complaints!

They credited back all the fees they deducted from his retainer in the last 3 months (not crazy significant, but a nice gesture).

The new attorney seems much more aggressive. She had read over the ENTIRE file prior to DH's meeting and was very fired up! She pretty much said that BM has had the past year to prove she's reasonable and committed to co-parenting, and all she's done is be difficult, unpredictable, and malicious at every turn. Lawyer said we're done being nice and accomodating .. she's sending a letter to BM giving her 30 days to respond to a request for mediation to discuss the change order and then immediately filing with the courts if she gets no answer. We're pretty excited but a part of me is still a bit skeptical Smile