You are here

It's only a school bag!

John82's picture

We have an area in our home that we keep coats etc... However due to a problem with the outside wall we are getting mold on anything that touches the outside wall. I moved my work jacket away from the wall onto a hanger... Fine you might say no not in the eyes of my SO because her daughter hangs her school bag there? When did it become a problem to set a school bag on the floor, argument over a school bag ensues seriously what's the problem with the bag going on the floor so I can hang my coat on the hanger?

I have been seriously pissed off by this, as it showed me my place in the home.

ACAM2012's picture

I have BD9, BS14, and SD9 living here and NO ONE hangs their book bag up. They are on the floor by the door. I would be pissed as well. It's a silly thing for your SO to pick a fight about.

John82's picture

Tell me about it.. I was very taken back when an argument started over a school bag. Time to find a new place for my jackets, middle of the floor sounds perfect :0)

To add insult to injury her daughter made a present for her dad and mum.. Fair enough no problems with that however its now on show in our bedroom. Why not the kitchen or play room... Grr some times being a step parent can really grind you down.

Una's picture

I understand your frustration about the school bag, does seem a bit silly really. About the present I understand completely John 82. My bf has pictures of his daughter everywhere in our home, yet there is no picture of me (sounds petty I know) and it really grates on me. Recently he added another picture of her and I 'accidentally' keep knocking it down. I'm fed up of feeling like I'm just not important enough!!!!

xtina's picture

LOL i do the same thing. There is a pic of SS3 on my fridge and it "accidentally" falls down a lot. Must be a breeze or something }:)

StickAFork's picture

My kids keep their backpacks in their rooms when they aren't at school. Why would I want them all cluttered up by the door? Wink

Silly fights like yours are an indicator of other, bigger issues.

oldone's picture

You are obviously not getting the real message "You are unimportant, skid should be on a pedestal" barf

John82's picture

I think you are right, there was a time when something as silly as a school bag would pass. It's why I was shocked when an argument started, after all it's not like me throwing someone else's coat on the now named doggy hangers. I do hope it's not a sign of the future because I do my best for her daughter and we have a great relationship, I would not expect her to put me before her daughter (even if I believe the adults relationship sets an example for the kids in the world) but to argue over a school bag with the attitude I got is entirely disrespectful to me abd our relationship.

As for the present, I don't mind it just where it was placed. Our bedroom is the part of the house that is ex free, where I don't have to here constant talk about daddy, see pictures (her bedroom) and other various reminders. I don't think our SOers will ever understand unless they were placed in the same situation.

Orange County Ca's picture

You need to take care of growing or accessable mold - it can kill people. Not instantly but the symptoms can be horrible - mold in your lungs isn't good. The closet should be cleaned by people with the proper equipment which includes bio-hazard suits, masks and oxygen supplies.

The only other solution I would find acceptable would be to stop the moisture so the mold goes into hibernation and coompletely close off the closet with everything still in it where it remains until you die or leave the home.

This is serious stuff. If someone in the home has unusual or lingering symptoms, any symptoms at all, it could be caused by this stuff and they should be housed elsewhere until this problem is solved.

John82's picture

IWe are renting and are in the process of making the land lord sort it. We have just got a dehumidifier and spray a mix of bleach and water on it daily which keeps it under control but it's in the plaster and probably needs completely removed wall sealed and new plaster applied . It's the joys of not owning our own home as we are not willing to pay to fix someone else's house for them.