You are here

I'm wondering ...

Mocha2001's picture

This would be specifically for those who only have SKids every other weekend, and then for some extended periods during summer.

My SS4 NEVER wants to talk to his mom. She called on the 4th, we were busy with friends and didn't get the message until it was too late to call back, SS was passed out. Anyway, DH had SS call BM in the morning on the 5th. He said, "I don't want to talk to mommy" - mind you we've had him for 5-days in a row and he hasn't talked to her. When he did talk to her it was for about 2-minutes (and this boy can talk, let me tell you). He handed tried to hand the phone back to DH and BM said "don't you have anything else to say." SS said, "ummm, no." And then BM said, "I love you." SS said, "I love you too, bye."

Now he NEVER forgets to tell daddy he loves dadddy when DH calls. That with all the other things SS has said recently, I just find it very odd that a 4yo doesn't want to talk to/see/miss his mommy.

Anyone else experience this with a 4/5yo?

~ Katrina

Sebbie's picture

De inimico non loquaris sed cogities.
The last time we had ss, who was 4 at the time, was for Christmas vacation(1 week) It took everything we had to even get him on the phone with the bm and then keep him there longer than a minute. We would sit beside him and try to keep him focused on talking to his mother,which really didnt work. In the end, when we dropped ss back off to bm after our week with ss, she handed dh a letter and in it stated that she KNEW we were in the background trying to keep her son from talking to her(it was actually the exact opposite) and she was not going to tolerate OUR interference!!!!We have not been allowed to see ss since that week in Dec 2005...who is interfering with who? Btw Trina, the bm finally got served, and is acting like it is no big deal. However she has no idea the amount of letters, text messages, answering machine recordings from her, refused mail by her that dh sent to her certified concerning son, and the obvious ect. ect that we have and are soooooooo prepared to walk into court with. Also, she is playing at CYA right now(covering your ass) by letting ss call dh EVERY day( take a wild guess who is in the background telling ss what to say to dh) and telling us that dh can have ss for his court ordered 2 week summer visitation now ( after almost 2 years of nothing). The humerous part is she intentionally picked dh and her former wedding anniversary as the pickup day for us to get ss...what a whack job!

Mocha2001's picture

Was it you that said something about her wanting him to come alone too or was that another mom?

When is your court date? Ours is July 11th. BM here hasn't said a word. When we sent her the Motion to Adopt Proposed Parenting Plan we added in the email, "if you want to talk about any of this before the hearing, I'm open, but want it all to be in email so it is documented." Not a word from her.

I wish I could get into her head, so badly, or be a fly on the wall.

~ Katrina

Anne 8102's picture

You know, they have such a short attention span at this age that I think it's safe to say "out of sight, out of mind." They get busy doing their thing, playing or whatever, and they just don't think a whole lot about who ISN'T there, only who IS there. I think it's pretty common for that age. My daughter is four and sometimes she will be a regular Chatty Cathy with her grandparents on the phone, yet sometimes she refuses to even talk to them. You have to get them at just the right time, when they aren't too "busy" with other things.

~ Anne ~

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other." -Walter Elliot

Mocha2001's picture

That IS true because sometimes when DH calls SS is too busy playing to have a quality conversation with DH.

~ Katrina

Sebbie's picture

De inimico non loquaris sed cogities.
DH's bm is the one that demands he show up at pick up and drop offs alone...he is refusing to do that anymore especially since we are on our way back to court(dont trust her one bit). Btw, I agree with the others post here, I know how hard it is for my dh to get his son to focus on their conversations on the phone, it is kinda cute to hear dh asking ss " Are you there son? Your watching what? " Anything and everthing gets their attention...my son is still that way at 10,lol.