You are here

How is everyone Surviving this lockdown with stepbrats

Stepmomx76's picture

Ok I don’t mean you LUCKY ones who due to Covid19 are not seeing Step kids. But those Unlucky ones like me who don’t get a break because BM,DH or step brats insist on Visitation regardless what is going on in the world. 

First I would like add I’m working on the front lines and tired/stressed out. So my Tolerance for Whiny, rude high pitched step brat is at a all time low. DH works for the Governor and working from home. Lucky bastard. DH is also Irritating me to no ends. I come home from working a 16 hr shift to find the house a mess. Would it kill the man to clean up. I’m so tired I don’t give a rats ass anymore. Once I would like to have dinner made for me when I got home. DH does not know how to cook BUT it would be wonderful if he asked me if I wanted him to pick up takeout for me. 

Now add screaming Annoying step brat. I’m about to lose my mind. Last weekend I went a sat in Walmart parking in my car for two hours just to get some Peace and quiet

SubstituteMommy's picture

Unfortunately, SD9 lives with us. Her BM lives thousands of miles away and hardly ever sees her. I've been trying to avoid SD as much as possible through all of this because she annoys me so much. I am able to work from home, but I go into the office as needed... which is nice because I don't have to be around her.

ndc's picture

We're continuing with our 50/50. DH is essential; I'm a SAHM. So I have the skids all day long instead of them being at school for much of it.  So far it's going ok. We live in a somewhat rural area, so we can go out for walks, play in the yard, etc.  At some point this is going to get old, though.

OP, I would go nuts if DH was home and I came home and had to cook and clean after a long shift. I don't buy that he can't cook. Anyone can cook if they put some effort into it. There are videos on the internet.

StepStrwbry's picture

I hear ya sister...I'm ready to leave my boyfriend-who I actually loved but now I'm not moving in because I just cant deal with his ONLY child. Everyone treats this whiny punk brat like a prince and I find myself purposely breaking his crayons or throwing out Lego pieces. I'm tired of picking up after this little s*** while my boyfriend snores on the couch. If it was just me & my boyfriend-we'd be married but its not.  It's his clingy, whiny brat who I can't STAND, his pushy ass baby momma who literally just walks in the house like she still lives here and my boyfriend's mother who also sees no problem with barging in the house-unannouced. She walks in our BEDROOM unannounced! No knock-the b**** SEES MY CAR IS HERE but yet thinks its perfectly fine to come into the BEDROOM. I'm not currently working so now the BM and grandmom are trying to get me to do pick ups or even watch him ALL DAY on a Saturday! I'm not interested in having these people dictate my life. If this kid is so wonderful why dont they keep him?! They cant WAIT to dump him off at the house. If it was my kid I wouldn't want some woman whose only been around for a year to spend all day with my child. I'm supposed to move in and was initially excited but there's no way I am now. I want a relationship with my boyfriend-not his mother, his baby momma and his brat kid. Just venting but I feel your pain sister!

Swim_Mom's picture

I'm one of the lucky ones you mention that never see Skids - DH just drives 45 minutes each way to see SS once a week and they get takeout and have lunch in the park or something. He stopped staying over here a couple years ago - it is wonderful. The 3 SD's live in other states.

But for my DH, his skids, my DD20/DS19/DD15 have all been home since March. They are great kids but I'll be honest; it is not a normal situation to have college age kids spend this much time at home with parents. Fortunately we have a big enough house where everyone has his/her own working space - I'm still working from home, DH is back in his office, and DD20/DS19 both have internships (online) plus DD20 is studying for the MCAT. DD15 has a babysitting job a couple days per week and just finished online summer class; I do allow her to see a few of her friends. BUT...it can feel like they are up our asses anyway at times. I make sure they understand that some evenings DH and I will be sitting enjoying our yard and some good wine and they need to not be with us. DH and I take walks alone (or with our new quarantine puppy who is already a big boy of 70 pounds and just too cute and loveable for words...). I get on them about loading/unloading the dishwasher, etc., all that stuff that could drive anyone nuts in normal life let alone covid life. 

This board has really helped me to always be aware of my kids' impact on how DH feels, so thank you!

Doublehelix's picture

Thankfully I still work PT so I can get out of the house for a bit, but unfortunately both SD and her dad know it's not full days or everyday even so they're waiting around to see when I can join them for activities. Yes, OBVIOUSLY the thing I'm rushing home for is playing with SD......NO. Normally we are EOW, but baboon got the brillliant idea that each parent could request up to 3 uninterrupted weeks in the summer for vacations or whatever. Lady, what vacations are you going on during quaratine?! So she chose 3 weeks, and my SO, not to let mom get away with having more time, chose his own 3 weeks so we are riding the storm right now.

itshardbeingastepmum's picture

Poor you!! I feel your pain and have found myself doing the same at times, parking up somewhere to avoid going home, or going to bed early just so I dont have to be around SS10.  We usually have every other weekend and a week night visit every week, however during lockdown BM INSISTED we had 50/50 access, thankfully I worked full time throughout the pandemic whilst my DH was at home looking after the kids. Thankfully we are back to the court order arrangement now, however BM is still constantly trying to dump him on us. Bearing in mind she's been off work since March and isnt returning until at least September!!!! Lazy b**** is all I can say.

I feel for you though, there's nothing worse than not being able to relax in your own home. And DH needs to learn how to cook for you and start being considersate to the fact that you work hard and work long hours!!