You are here

First Day of School Traditions

wriggsy's picture

Does anyone have an annual "First Day of School" tradition?

For my family on the first day of school, we (DH and I) always take a couple hours off of work. The kids get ready and then go through a few minutes of picture taking. Always the same place, always one individual picture and then one group picture and then, we take the kids to school (although, as of this year..all kids are in middle school/junior high, so that consisted of piling in the car and DH and I dropping them off). After school (on the first day) we also take a group picture after school is out for the day (the kids piled into the backseat and squeezed together), then we take them for ice cream and talk about the classes, teachers and whatever else comes up.

I know I asked about the first day, but we also have a tradition for the last day of school as well. We (DH and I) take off the afternoon, pick them up from school, take them to lunch and then to a movie. I am not sure where all this came from, but this is a yearly thing that we enjoy doing with/for the kids.

TheOtherMom's picture

That's sweet!
We take them to school on the first day and walk them to class. That's about it.
We didn't want a first day of school tradition because it is kind of nervewrecking for SS9 ...
SS11 is in 6th grade. He asked us to park on the other side of school, hugged us really hard and then said "okay here we go" and left us at the car Smile

wriggsy's picture

I've been really surprised that this little tradition has withstood the test of time with us. We had to include the BM when the kids were in elementary school, but she would meet us there (for the most part...there were a couple years that she had the kids the morning of the first day of school, but we still all met up). Now with the kids old enough to just "stop and drop"...I am thinking our "First Day of School" tradition will be just DH, me and the kids...no BM!!!