You are here

Is it just me?

wriggsy's picture

(my)Question of the day:

Who has skids that call them by their first name, but prefaced with Mr. or Ms.?

Does it bother you?

My skids have always called me "Ms. first name" and while I understood it when they were younger and their dad and I first started dating, but they are teens now and I have been in their lives for over 10 years! I can't stand it and I really have no idea why it bothers me so much. I have repeatedly asked them to just call me by my first name only, but it's such a habit now, they don't remember to drop the "Ms". It makes me feel like their daycare teacher or something.

It's strange, I know...but it bugs me. Hey...I also HATE having my elbows touched...you want to talk about weird?!?!?!?

WifeVersion2.0's picture

I don't have this problem. My SS calls me 'Mom' and my SD calls me by my first name. Either one is fine with me allthough I cringe anytime SS calls me 'mom' when his BM is standing right there! I keep waiting for her head to spin around but she's never said a word about it.

I watched kids in my home for years and taught pre-school as well so I am often called Ms. FirstName by kids that have been in my care and are now teens....I kind of actually like it. But I could understand not liking it too as a personal choice.

Eyes Wide Open's picture

Of all of the things they have called me behind my back...."Ms.____" or my first name is fine with me!

wriggsy's picture

My best friend since I was 10 called my folks mom and dad. We are both almost 40 and she still does it. But, I have always called her parents by their last names. My parents really enjoyed it as my friend was such a huge part of our lives while I was still at home.

Another funny part...my kids friends call me "Ms. Firstname" and it's fine with me, I guess it's just with the skids that it irritates me...hmmm..go figure!

stormabruin's picture

This reminds me of my mom when I was little. There were 9 kids in my family & my mom was SAHM. I remember her getting so upset when she'd be on the phone & we'd tap her elbow to get her attention, along with "Mom...mom. MOM. Maaaaahhhhmmmm. Mom?" She'd try to make a point in ignoring the interruption, but the elbow-tapping would finally break her. Turns out it wasn't the elbow-tapping that got to her. It was the upper-arm jiggle that the elbow-tapping would create that she couldn't stand. Smile

poisonivy's picture

It is a littl eweird to me, but that probably goes back to some childhood etiqette lessons! Skids call their SF Mr. Whatever and it gives me the creeps because of the relationship that they supposedly have. BM says the younger one has referred to him as "dad" before on a few occasions, though. I thought that after they lived with him and got used to him being around things would change but it doesn't look like it.

I guess its a very personal preference.

JustAnotherSM's picture

I have always been called by my first name, but I can see why this might bug you. It seems so formal.

I once asked SS to consider giving me an affectionate nickname - not mom, but something else that would show that I am a mother-figure in his life. When he and DH suggested butthead and fartface, I decided I liked my first name just fine. LOL

DaizyDuke's picture

do you live in the south? I live in the north and NOBODY ever calls anybody "Miss Daizy" or what have you, but I have relatives and friends in the south and noticed over the years when we visit that EVERYONE addresses females like that.

My Skids just call me by my first name and that is perfect, I honestly would fell weird if they called me mom.

wriggsy's picture

Oh, I know it's a "repect" thing (although, why they will respect me with my name and no where else is beyond me!), but I have asked them many times to just call me by my first name only. Even DH has asked them to...it's just too engrained now...

Oh well...like someone else said...it's better than some of the other things they have called me...

StepDadOzark's picture

Well, I can see how the Mr/Ms first name would bother you. That's respective for a neighbor, or friends parents, a lot of my skids friends call us that, but I wouldn't expect, or like, my skids to call me that. My SS15 calls me by my first name, or a variant of that that I just now realized just may be his little bit of affection. Never thought of it that way, actually don't like it and it used to annoy me. Don't think it will anymore. My SD11 mostly calls me by my first name, sometimes I get a Dad, especially if she wants something, but sometimes it's affection.