You are here

Volunteering

wriggsy's picture

The "Sense of Entitlement" blog got me to wondering. Does anyone here ask/make their kid(s) or skid(s) do volunteer work?

My best friend and I took a couple Saturdays one year to work at our local food bank...helping pack bags that were going to our local families. Both of our daughters were with us and really seemed to enjoy the thought of helping someone. (unfortunately...it's been some time ago...I need to get back into that!)

I know that my daughter's school student council requires it's members to volunteer a few hours every six weeks.

I think it's a wonderful idea to get kids involved in their community and I think if I could get my self centered SD involved in something like this...it may do something wonderful for her.

I'm just wondering how everyone feels about the topic of getting teens to volunteer...

wriggsy's picture

Yes, most things here do seem like they want the kid to be at least 16 unless accompanied by an adult.

There is one thing we do every year...on New Year's Day. Our city does not allow fireworks within city limits, so most people go to a specific road right on the outskirts to pop their fireworks. So...yep...the road is littered with all kinds of trash the next day. We always go to sister-in-laws house for New Years Day and have to travel this particular road. So..we have started taking trash bags and will stop and clean up as much as we can. We never can clean it all up, but we all feel better by doing what we can...

One year, on Thanksgiving, we were driving back from DH's parents house after our big meal. There were some utility workers digging in a huge hole on the side of the road. We had almost a full chocolate pecan pie that we were taking home, but we stopped and gave it to the workers. They looked at us funny at first, but we told them we felt bad that they had to be working on the holiday and thanked them for doing so.

I think kids remember things like that...even if they don't talk about it...at least this is my hope.

Jsmom's picture

My son has scouting and Beta Club they have to volunteer so many hours. Myself - I am the committee chair for the Boy Scout and that takes about 10 hours a week for me. We just had a huge fundraiser that raised 8K and I ran that for the troop. I also mentor patients families that have had kidney transplants. I feel you should try and give back.

As for the SK's. Nothing. Have tried many times. You should have heard the whines that came out of SS12 when we made him help my son with his Eagle Project. I suggested Habitat for Humanity as a family. The moans and groans were amazing. Even my DH. Give back....Not them. If it is not started when they are young, it is too late as a teen to get them to help.

stepmasochist's picture

I try to teach the skids to "be the change they want to see in the world." Their father and I are firm believers in that.

We pick up trash whenever we go camping or hiking and always try to leave places cleaner than we found them. I don't know if I really consider that volunteering though.

All of the skids volunteered several days at the Humane Society last summer. That was really a blessing because now SS7 is the best litter box cleaner in the world, lol!

SD11 and I helped shop for Angel Tree last Christmas. I think that really gave her some perspective on Christmas isn't a given for everyone. I would like to get all of the skids involved in maybe delivering a few gifts with me for Elder Angels this Christmas.

Also, I bring them along whenever I can when I volunteer with the various organizations I'm involved in. They usually jump right in with whatever task is given to them.

purpledaisies's picture

Yes both my kids do, dd goes to the senior center and sings with a group that they got together. They did this all on their own. DS goes to the library where he reads and helps sort and helps with books sales (they have a huge sale every year and he helps to get the books ready and move them out). Ds got recognized in a city ceremony for his work. Tears are come out now. He feels that all people should be able to read and be helped to read. Both did this on their own I just said yes you can.

SillyGilly's picture

AAAH! I really should do some volunteer service....I have no excuses. I guess I am just tired and lazy. I would love to get SD11 into something but haven't found the motivation to find a volunteer opportunity that is appropriate for her. Maybe I should check with the local animal shelters and see what's available. It wouldn't kill me to do it with her!

Whateva's picture

I don't have kids of my own, but I am a volunteer at our city mission. It is awesome to see SOME parents (not enough in my opinion) make their kids come and feed the homeless. IF I did have kids this would be a must!!! I think by nature kids are so self consumed and spoiled that it makes an impact to see those living much less fortunate.

Whateva

Butterfly_Roses's picture

Yes my DD volunteers at the hospital - she especially enjoys visiting and talking to the elderly. When her grandpa (my dad) passed away in January this year, it made her realize how much she wanted to go into nursing (either hospice or senior centers) and started to volunteer. As for FSS & FSD....... that would mean actually thinking of someone besides themselves.