You are here

Fathers day and Holidays

Jenna29's picture
Forums: 

Background: I started dating my DH when his son with 17 months. His Ex took his son away for 6 weeks and thats how the whole court process started. I started dating him a couple months into the process and it was a very stressful time. His ex doesn't work, gets CS, and is remarried to a man with 3 kids from a previous marriage. She is very lazy and very manipulative. We have 50/50 placement. I am due to have our first child in July. I love his son like he is my own and I am very involved.

The first year of dating everything was fine. As soon as we got married though she started having her son make DH presents for every holiday. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentines day, and Fathers Day. She told my DH that she wanted to do lunch and shopping day for when the son starts school. I told my DH that I think its inappropriate that she wants to play family now. The presents she sends are pieces of colored paper with a picture on it. Or a Walmart wood picture frame and lets him paint it then throws a picture on it. They are piling up.

This fathers day I finally freaked out. I had the baby and son get my husband a present and when the ex dropped of son for fathers day the son gave him a present from the son that clearly ex helped him make. I told my DH to call her and tell her respectfully that you don't want her to do that anymore and that we have our own traditions. I think it will be weird when I have our children make presents and the son and then the son will always be giving him an extra gift.

My DH doesn't see the problem and accused me of ruining fathers day.

Snowflake's picture

I would purchase a small cheap yet nice chest. I would then have dad put all of the special momentos that ss makes in the chest after the holiday. Then find a nice place for it in the attic so the keepsakes don't get "ruined".

It will eventually stop it not like a tweenager will keep that tradition going.