You are here

DH is required to cover insurance but I have a ?

12yrstepmonster's picture

In the most recent support revisit it wad written that DH would maintain insurance on both skids within the realm of his employer benefit package. We did this because SD is college age and sorta been going. She's actually quit going to classes again this semester and we are questioning if she is returning.

Here's my question. DH insurance allows her to be covered providing she is enrolled fulltime and doesn't have the option of her own insurance. If she doesn't go to school in the spring that means out of 12 months she would have the possibility of only attending for 4 months- fall.

Would you tell the insurance company in January. Or wait for the 4 months she is out of school and then tell them. She turns 21in August and we are currently paying support as well.

Jsmom's picture

If it costs him money for her, tell them. For my DH's plan it costs no more to add one of the kids. Same price as two or more. But, for us we pay the health insurance on SD15 even though she lives with BM. It costs no more so we gave in on this. Also, an added benefit is we got to see that BM put her on Birth Control since the bills come here and DH forwards them to her. We don't have to pay anything for that child. We pay for the other child.

It doesn't cost extra. But if she is no longer eligeble under his policy we become financially liable for all that was paid. She works 32 hrs a week and has insurance options thru work. Once she isn't a college student she isn't eligible. I read somewhere if she hasn't been in school for the last 4 months.....but I can't find that.

And she isn't telling her sad her plans. We didn't even know she just quit going

unwillingparticipant's picture

You could get into a bind if they find out she isn't attending anymore. So the term "insurance fraud" comes to mind because you are misrepresenting that SD is attending college (im not trying to attack you or berate you. It's just that the insurance company may see it that way) when in fact, shes not - that violates their stipulation for covering her.

My thoughts were that too. If she chooses not to enroll in school in the spring we notify them Jan 1 of the change and she has to pick herself up on her own policy. Hence the reason. We stipulated the clause with in his employer benefits. This will get ugly since SD told DH she could stay on his insurance until she was 26.

You mean there are rules that apply to my skids ? Certainly you jest!

The good thing is that the insurance automatically will put her on hold until we confirm she is a fulltime student.