You are here

DH not paying his share AGAIN

christinen's picture

Hi all,

I just need some validation here to make sure I am not crazy. If you read my other posts, my DH has major financial issues that are driving me up the wall (I’m a CPA so I am used to dealing with other people’s financial problems, but not used to having them myself—and DH’s problems have been starting to affect me since we got married in April). Anyway, this is the latest thing-- we rent a house and our dryer broke. It’s in our lease that the landlord provide a washer and dryer. The landlord decided it would be easier to just take $400 off this month’s rent (let us pay $600 instead of the normal $1000) so that we could buy our own dryer. The way we have it split up is that DH is supposed to pay $800 toward rent and I am supposed to pay $200 (I pay all the other bills).

Well rent was due at the beginning of the month and DH has not had his share of the money, so he decides he is going to take that $400 (for a dryer) off his share of the rent, take nothing off my share, AND not buy a dryer. So he is basically making out for $400 because he thinks he will just pay $400 instead of $800 and I still pay $200. Problem is, not only is that not fair to me at all, but we really need a dryer! Does anyone else see the issue here or am I crazy??! He acts like he is doing nothing wrong! Granted, if this was just a one-time thing it probably wouldn’t be a huge deal, but he does crap like this ALL THE TIME!! I feel like I have a child and not a husband!

smdh's picture

Um, I think your dh sounds like the kind of person who would totally commit insurance fraud. Tell him if he is taking the "break" on the rent, then he is buying a new dryer TODAY. OR he can go to the laundry mat everyday and dry clothes. Plus, the landlord will expect a new dryer to be in the place when you leave, so basically it is fraud for it to not be replaced.

christinen's picture

Right, they are basically giving us money to get a dryer and will definitely expect us to have one there when we move out. Smh. He can't buy a dryer today because he has no money but I know what you mean. He needs to take some responsibility. I am sick of this manchild!

Oh, AND since we have not had a dryer in a few months, I have been going to my mom's house every Sunday and washing clothes there (I go there on Sundays anyway but still a pain to haul the clothes over there with me). Isn't this some bs!

misSTEP's picture

I would IMMEDIATELY let him know that the laundry has now become HIS chore.

A month of that and I bet anything he would find a dryer! Probably a USED one but a dryer nonetheless.

It's really amazing how our problems are not "real" problems until it affects the man! THEN, it is ALL about fixing the issue!

christinen's picture

I just told him if he wants to take the dryer money off his part of the rent and not get a dryer, he is going to be the one washing clothes.. I'm not taking clothes to my mom's every weekend because he wanted a break on the rent! Lazy ass!

Cocoa's picture

AND he's going to be the one responsible to replace the dryer when you all move! i'd make him sign a paper stating this.

christinen's picture

Well I think it was a huge mistake marrying him.. No excuses, it was just a mistake, plain and simple. Anyway, yes DH has a crappy job but he can afford the place (we are only renting a small 2 bedroom house) if he wanted to. Unfortunately, he spends his money on other things-- not sure what those things are yet-- this has just been going on the past few months-- I am thinking about hiring a private investigator but that's a whole other story!

StickAFork's picture

Was he financially responsible prior to April?
If not, why did you marry him?
And why complain if he is still the man he showed you that he was?

SMH. Good luck. Unless you change something, I see a long list of complaints in your future.

christinen's picture

Unfortunately, I didn't realize how bad it really was until after we were married. However, it has gotten worse in just the last few months, which is why I have been on here venting so often!

I already have a pretty long list of complaints.. Not sure if this is even worth my time and energy (and money!) anymore..

Orange County Ca's picture

He's a thief. In effect he's selling a dryer out the door.

Well now you know and since you don't have children with him (right?) its time to go.

christinen's picture

No, we do not have children together (I don't have any of my own either). I want kids but DH refuses to get a better job so we can move into a bigger house-- we only have a 2 bedroom and SD takes up the 2nd bedroom-- I could afford it but why should I pay for everything? Smh.

herewegoagain's picture

Ah, no doubt...I used to get pissed when credit score companies would look at your spouse's credit score too...now I get it. These pathetic men and women who can't manage their bills, yes, they ALL bring us down with them. You cover for them once, the next time and next and next and at some point, you can't do it anymore...and well, there goes YOUR credit. Good luck. Get this taken care of immediately...you WILL regret it if you don't. I speak from experience.

christinen's picture

sueu2- I've always wanted my own kids, but I had no intentions of having them before marriage. We just got married this past April.

Tjwwsgcb3's picture

Whatever you do, dont combine your inclme or credit card holdership with this treasure...when spmeone tells you who they are, believe them.

Tjwwsgcb3's picture

HI, I just joined moments ago...up at 3 AM... siiiick of adult step daughter, who ignores my texts when I try to plan things that include her, such as thanksgiving, Christmas...Then at the last minute, calls my spouse and invites herself and her Man-thang over...brings nothing, usually sits like she is the queen and we are her subjects. Then, theres the weirdness with her man-thang. Shes 30 he's about 28, She literally and seriously, tells him when and where to sit, what to eat, in a restaraunt, what to order. Just TRY and have a conversation with this guy...1 word answers No eye contact. he gives me the creeps like no one else ever has, and I dont like that he knows where we live. I dont want him here. Ever. My feelings are ignored. Tonight, with packing and storage stuff everywhere, am about 1/2 through decorating, she calls DH and wants to come hang out and use our internet tomorrow,...with all this stuff everywhere, DH says this is fine... and it TISNT. I have been ignored at TG, and now have been ignored about what to get man-thang for christmas, So I am not getting him anything. S---- him, he's not even married to the step daughter. How aBOUT THIS? I do not have a birthday. dont get anything for christmas, and our anniversary doesnt exist. When I do meet adutl stepchildrens friends they give me dirty looks and are very snarky...think sonmeone has been talking trash? I guess I have to remember, they were raised by wolves, their mom defies description. Opens credit cards in their name,,,steals their belongings, charges them to babysit...but guess who the big B is?...DH is stuck in the middle.. feel bad for him, but I am stuck between my son and him as well...goes with the territory I guess. If he doesnt say something to her about acting like I am in consequencial, then, I think I will ignore her entirely. Is this the way to go? or am I being ugly, cause I dont know what else to do. I dont want man thang over here ever again. How do I make this happen????

secondplace's picture

Hi Twwsgcb3:

You have just hijacked someone's forum post.

If you want others to read and comment on your post, you should either start your own blog or a new forum post yourself.

Welcome to Steptalk!

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

Your post totally confused me with the all the numbers and who has to pay this or that. I cannot imagine the stress that adds to a marriage.