You are here

child support

beckys5555's picture

So this has been on my mind alot lately...please everyone realize i am a stepmom with no children yet but do pay for most bills/food/clothing any any necessities needed for our household as i make almost triple what my husband makes. My husband gets his kids(age 8 and 11) every other weekend and one evening a week. He pays his ex(never married) about 800 a month for 2 kids. They are on medicaid(everything free health wise) and her husband is no longer working due to a permanent disability. They still havent got money from social security but she says it could take up to a year, anyway he stays home with them so theres $0 in childcare but he no longer has an income to their household until social security approves their claim...anyway i guess i was wondering if a few different people could gve me honest opinions. She has told me she makes $22 an hour and after taxes with 2nd job makes 700 a week plus my husbands 200 a week for child support. Thats 3600 a month to their household. With our 2 used cars mortgage 5 creditcards garbage food gas electric household items insurance we have 2500 in expenses monthly. They live a street over , i know their expenses must be the same. I just dont understand why she couldnt afford to buy them any new school shoes, clothes and told us she cant afford gymnastics or any instruments this year. I know she loves them and they dont complain but she doesnt take them anywhere or ever spend extra on them. Their gma buys all clothes winter coats boots hats everything since ive been around for 5 years and my husband says shes always been like that. I have a feeling shes waiting for gma to do it since thats what shes always done. If kids are in school 40 hours a week and u just need to feed them clothe them bath them i just dont understand how she cant afford it. Since i have not raised any children myself i was wondering if theres just extra things that are costly that i dont get because i dont take care of kids on a daily basis. I mean i help when i can but it Is mostly my husband who does it all. I dont want to be the angry stepmom about child support because if i had to do all doctors appts stay home from work on sick days or go above and beyond to help my child while my ex gets the easy one eve every other weekend i would want support too.

beckys5555's picture

I know what priorities are. I created this post to try and understand if there are costs that go along with daily care that i cannot think about because like i said i do not care for any children on a daily basis. Please dont insult my post by writing one word as if im going to know what that even means in detail.

beckys5555's picture

Ive looked it up and they do qualify unfortunately nys has the highest rate of welfare. Yay ny

Aeron's picture

Assuming that she's telling the truth and not that she "can't afford it" because she wants to see if she can get someone else to foot the bill.... You may not be accounting for food properly. You have the kids for roughly 16 meals a month? She has them then for about 74. So I'm not sure how you accounted for that extra cost, particularly if they're bottomless pits as children so often are. There's also the Kind of food she buys - organic or junk, beans and rice vs sirloin.... A lot of people have an incredibly high food bill because of how they shop and cook.

I don't know how the kids are behavior wise, but there can be a major disparity between households in energy consumption as well - how high or low a thermostat is set, do the kids leave all the lights on all the time, windows open while a/c is running, etc. or does her husband.

The priorities comment, I believe, was directed at what does BM think is important. Does she "not have the money" for sports of instruments or whatever because they "need" 3 sport/movie packages on their cable? Or because she has a car payment on a brand new car? Or because she feels a luxury vacation is a necessity? Or perhaps designer labels.... Some people think certain items or experiences or services are needs and those thoughts vary wildly.

The only thing I can think may not have been added in is medical type stuff - who has to carry insurance, what's the split on paying medical bills, glasses, orthodontics, etc. maybe gas for carting kids around to practice?

beckys5555's picture

She has told me they eat really healthy no sugar and rarely desert...they do have 2 alot newer cars but there house is way smaller than ours- and ours is not that big...
They have free lunches at school and only 1 eats b fast at home so idk how u got the 70 number but i cant imagine it being that much more with only dinner. They tell us they only drink tap water at home so clearly no juices and limited snacks. They arnt in any activities so theres no carting them around. They are on medicaid so all drs apts and medications are all free. I understand living is expensive with children in general just curious if theres extra ones i dont know of.

sickofitall's picture

Food bill would be much higher. When I make something for me and DH its fine but then have my 2 kids home for dinner the price literally doubles. Doesnt matter if its just dinner.That is my biggest budget killer. Unless theyre eating rice and beans every night. Food is insanely high right now.It will add up quickly.

There are little extras that add up also. Not sure of what you split but school pictures, book fairs,
fund raising, yearbooks, birthday parties all add up too. Some weeks I just bleed money from $10 here. $10 there.

$3600 is a small amount to support 2 newer cars (you have no idea what the payments are), housing,
food and all extras plus credit cards or other bills. You say your bills are $2500. Even if hers were that low thats $1100 to play with. One disaster like car or roof repair and it can make you fall behind and be hard to catch. Not saying this is the case but one repair will set bills behind and that $1100 extra is eaten up quick.

Not saying it cant be done but it will take budgeting and shes obviously not doing that. Plus she has
Grandma and you making life easier so why would she try to change? Easier to have you pay or Grandma since you seem like you dont mind. Whatever makes you happy I guess.

But its impossible to know what someone elses financial situation is unless you see the whole picture. Personally BM knows shes got someone (you amd Grandma) to fall back on so she doesnt worry too much anyway. Does she have her nails done and hair perfect? New expensive clothes? Gym? Lattes every day? If yes then shes just putting her kids last and making others pay. If she doesnt then shes probably struggling. No idea. Only you can answer that.

As for the women here they have been through hell and back and are trying to warn and help you. You will come to resent footing most of the bill as your stepkids get older and want designer clothes, cars, cell phones. Its in the back of your mind or you wouldnt have asked. Hows BM gonna pay for it then? Your DH cant and BM cant. Youll have to step up. Kids get more expensive not less.

beckys5555's picture

I go to second hand stores for clothes and i dont buy anything extra like i use to a year ago. Food and stuff to do is all i pay for. We buy new stuff only for bdays and xmas.

No nails or hair or gym or designer. I honestly believe she is struggling and idk the extras but thanks for giving me more of an ideas of little things.

beckys5555's picture

Well i do see them as one of mine. I love them with all my heart. Alot of stepparents dont feel the same but to me i feel fortunate and i dont mind. He pays for his kids in their moms household and i pay for ours. It works and thats not what im complaining about on this post. So thanks!

beckys5555's picture

Nys law makes the child support law to provide for them if non custodial parent. I didnt create the law but i fell in love with the man i married and make good money so its not a worry or somethjng i need to further explain. Stay on topic or dont comment. Thanks.

JustAgirl42's picture

Damn it Sally! Why do you always have to piss people off like this?? Biggrin

I was having a nice read-through until YOU commented! }:) Blum 3

JustAgirl42's picture

I can't look at your avatar and think you would do anything insensitive on purpose...it's so cute. Smile

Disneyfan's picture

I live and teach in NYC.

There's no way in hell she's eligible for medicaid and free lunch. First of all, they request total household income. Based solely on her income, she isn't eligible. Toss in her husband's income and she should be slapped for even applying.

This chick makes $22 an hour from one job, has a second job AND receives $800 a month in CS. She isn't eligible for the stuff she's getting. They look at gross income not net.

BM is milking the system and grandma. Dad is milking you. They are two peas in a pod.

I'm going to try to get my hands on a lunch form when I get work. I have to see what the income guidelines are for a family of 4.

beckys5555's picture

Im not 100% sure but i believe nyc everything is different- the whole $15/hour for fast food workers doesnt apply to my city in nys...and u dont have to include cs as an income and her dh has no income. One of her jobs may not have to be claimed for all the money she makes so yes maybe she is milking it. Guess i still cant see how they struggle. Health insurance alone is soo expensive in ny.

Snowflake's picture

Because her husband isn't working, he is contributing nothing. So in essence her paycheck goes to take care of 4 people. And I will tell you that kids are expensive. It gets you in many ways you can't imagine. More money for water, laundry detergent, toiletries, household goods, electricity, entertainment, hair cuts, Etc etc etc.

I would actually look at her husband not having a job and babysitting your dh's daughters a blessing, because trust me, your dh would be responsible for daycare expenses, at least half if not all, on TOP of child support. Her husband, just like you, is not actually responsible to take any responsibility for his skids. My guess is that it is not by choice that he is so generous, but because he has his sugar mama financially supporting him. But like I said, that actually benefits you.

Your dh is responsible for child support, and thank goodness not childcare on top of that. If your husband choose to buy your skids anything beyond what is court ordered because she says she can't afford it, then that is generous on your part. But unfortunately you will never get a thank you from bm or the skids. If you decide to supplement your household because your husband can't afford to help out with bills, then that is very nice of you to do, and hopefully he is grateful. If it makes you resent him, then don't.

No one likes spending money on anything they don't need to. If she can get extras out of you, she will. If you let her, then that is what you choose to do.

beckys5555's picture

Out of all the posts this is by far the most helpful, thank you. Ive heard it all to dont support a man and why bother with the kids blah blah blah. To me its judgemental and like my mother she bases her own negative experiences on others. We all have a wonderful relationship i just shouldnt worry your right and the spreadsheet i did that lol thank u!

twoviewpoints's picture

As a grandmother, I can tell you that I buy lots of winter coats, boots, clothing blah blah. Do I have to? Nope. Do grandkids parents ask and/or expect me to? Nope. I do it because I want to. I do it cause I might have saw this or that while out shopping and thought 'oh, grandkids should have this, its so them'. Hell, I do it cause I can't take my money with me when I die.

I too question the Medicaid qualifications but even with that program, many things would not be covered. Medicaid does not cover certain items or has limits. Viewing the NY free and reduced lunch program online the income you gave would be a stretched maybe for reduced price lunches. I found it almost comical how you figured out meal cost. What mother really doesn't provide food in her for both kids even if one is iffy on whether or not he/she wants to eat breakfast? And then there is snacks. I doubt a growing kid goes solely on a school lunch and a single plate of dinner.

Houses aren't comparable by small/big. Interest rates available for the purchase will vary if nothing else. Very basic example of certain cost would be like my water bill. It dropped in half when my son moved out. Who'd of thought one kid could use so much water! I think it's pretty reasonable to think two adults living the majority of the month alone are going to have different utility bills than a family of four with two kids.

The BM just did the school enroll and supply cost also I imagine? Extra activities such as gymnastics is not a mandatory expense any parent is required to support whether they can afford it or just choose not to. Your BM's household just went from a two income household to one member with a job and one member trying to be established disabled. Who's to say what kids of expenses BM's husband may have? His personal debt didn't end when he became unable to work.

I guess the bottom line is, does any of this really matter. Your husband s required to ay child support set by your set law/guidelines regardless of what and how BM does in managing her household budget. He is not required to hand over additional cash if BM doesn't budget well. If Dad and you choose to give additional that's on him and you.