You are here

rethinking children of my own

beckys5555's picture

This is the moms and dad's who are non custodial...possibly those who have always been non custodial but have remarried and had other children...do you ever feel differently about your new wife's/husbands children than the ones you had with an ex? I am not in this situation nor do I have any children yet but I do worry...I am married to a man with 2 pre teens. He gets them 2 days a week one week and 3 days the next. They love him dearly and I'm happy he sees them, as I know of many fathers/parents including my own who weren't so attentive to me. I guess I have noticed throughout the years his lack of involvement. He always takes them on his visitation and if there's any major issues his ex calls and they sort of talk but he's not super involved, like goes to any Dr's appts or calls teachers doesn't follow up on any issues such as bullying or recent illnesses. I use to remind him but I stopped. I guess to see if he would. He doesnt. He says he cares but doesn't think of it...me being a very busy person thinks of it but he doesnt...they always rant on and on about their step dad who doesn't work and does take them to all appts soccer games ect. I find it sad they may remember their stepdad being there more than him when he does have the opportunity. I realize I can't force it but what worries me , is that we talk about having kids in the next year. Some ppl say he may be the same careless guy and it will be all on me, but I feel no one can really predict how he would act w every day interaction w my child vs few days a week with his pre teen kids whom their step father basically raises (mother works 2 jobs and is in school, has been like this since we met 5 years ago)-can anyone relate to a situation like this? Am I setting myself up to be like a single parent??

notsurehowtodeal's picture

Read some of the blogs on here - it is very common for a dad who who was lousy with his "previous" kids to be just a lousy with his "new" kids. Do you have any idea how he was with his kids before the divorce? Was he as oblivious to things then as well? That might tell you a little more.

Monchichi's picture

"Am I setting myself up to be like a single parent??" How much do you plan to nag/push/ ask? That will govern the participation. While my SO is much better with the girls than Chucky, he is still not exactly FOTY by any means.

Unless I make an issue about him taking BabyD to the Dr or pediatrician appointment, he is quite happy to leave it to me.

Same goes for stimulation, routine, clothes, toys etc. If your man is like that now, he will be the same or close to with any children.