You are here

Chewing cud

Dizzy's picture

How does a parent not see that their kid is smacking their food at EVERY. SINGLE. MEAL. regardless of the dish? Mouth open chewing like a sheep out to pasture. I realize there are foods that can be trickier to eat (spaghetti, for example), but DAMN, not every meal or food is tricky, especially not for an 11 year old!!

Dizzy's picture

It doesn't work to not cook, when its EOW PLUS, I have my BD7 here during the week, and I'm a SAHM/SM, so it's part of my job. BUT, on the weekends, DH does the cooking when SD is here.

I actually have a pretty good relationship with SD...she is a good kid, picks up after herself, is diligent in her schoolwork, is an amazing and adored (nay, WORSHIPPED) big sister to my BD7. I don't wanna go too harsh on her verbally. I feel like this is totally on DH...I say something and nothing changes, because I don't say something every meal--I feel like HE should. I mean, damn, I'm ON my daughter about her table manners. I don't micromanage during any other time of the day than dinner, when we all sit down at the table together. Elbows off the table, don't talk with food in your mouth, chew with your mouth closed. I sound like a goddamn drill sergeant, but I stay on top of my BD, because if I don't, who will?

/endrant

Dizzy's picture

Last night, I straight up said "Chew with your mouth closed." No "please", just direct and firm. DH said nothing.

Indigo's picture

LOL. My 12+ BS still needs reminding to chew with his mouth closed and NOT to speak with a mouthful; especially, when he gets excited or can't wait to finish eating to tell us about ... whatever ! Of course, I just had dinner with him at my mother's. God Love Her, she farted, smacked and spoke with food in her mouth. 'Course, she's 86 years old with a host of other issues.

No clue what to suggest outside of having the parental unit stay on top of table manners. Sorry.

jumanji's picture

>God Love Her, she farted, smacked and spoke with food in her mouth.

Wait - was my Dad sitting next to her?

SecondGeneration's picture

Lol this made me laugh.

My step mother was/is very particular about table manners, always has been. She has 4 bio kids and then me as her step kid with me being the youngest.
Every dinner time the 7 of us would be at the table, and I can remember many a time there were comments/corrections over elbows on the table but the worst would have to be my step brother! For some reason he cannot/will not eat quietly, if I remember rightly she sent him to the Dr once to see if he had a congestion problem since he would not only smack his food but hed seem to make weird grunting noises whilst eating. To be fair he really did try and it did get better but he now sits way on the opposite end of the table from her these days and you can still see it annoy her.

Dizzy's picture

I have said something on many occasions. But I would have to be on her every single time we sit down to dinner, then I would get accused of picking on SD. Venting here, that's all.

Dizzy's picture

So, I actually did decide to say something about half an hour ago...he said he will be more mindful. We shall see. My DH isn't complete Disney, resistant to change...he just needs reminders, I guess. It's not like we haven't had this conversation before...

Dizzy's picture

Dup

z3girl's picture

My 50 year old SIL eats with her mouth open! It's so odd to watch her eat that I can't help staring at her many times. I don't see her frequently (thank goodness...she's the original entitled brat, even at 13 years older than me) but when I do, I can't help but bring it up to DH every time. She's DH's sister, and DH doesn't eat like that. I have no idea where she learned that.

Yuck!

blayze's picture

Tell her that her friends will make fun of her behind her back and boys won't like her if she doesn't fix her little problem. My grandma said that to me and it stuck. She believed in always being ladylike and dainty. I still hear her voice when I accidentally pop my gum. Smile

intrinsicmemory's picture

11 yo girl? Find a princess lesson kind of place in your area. They will teach manners.

What I did? I corrected my little cow's manners. My DH finally noticed his child couldn't drink without slurping and gulping, chewed loudly/mouth open, and I got back up. To be fair I corrected them BOTH by mimicking their terrible manners, and when they saw the uptight buttoned up conservative lady eating and drinking like a crazed farm animal human hybrid, it went a long way to achieving my goal.

I also filmed her eating a few times and made her watch.

My cat ate with more poise, and he ate out of a dish on the floor.

unluckytwin's picture

If anyone has any suggestions for how to handle a skid who eats with mouth open BUT ALSO has a DH! who eats with mouth open, please chime in! How can I get the kid to eat with her mouth closed when SO--who WOLFS DOWN his food SO FAST--also takes GIANT bites, eats with his mouth open, and talks with food in his mouth? Sometimes I ask him not to and he acts butthurt, so he DEFINITELY isn't getting his KID to do anything different, and I'm a disengaged "not my kid, not my problem" kind of person.