You are here

When can kids be left home alone?

Dizzy's picture

I have evidence of BM having left SD10 home alone in the wee hours about a year ago. SD was "scared being alone in the house". The evidence I have leads me to believe it wasn't the only time. I'm not surprised, but I am deeply concerned, as BM has shown some extremely careless tendencies when it comes to SD.

CO is 50/50, EOW, with DH paying child support and alimony.

Thoughts? Advice?

Dizzy's picture

Thanks, Echo. I was hoping for your input.

She was 9 at the time and we have proof, in the form of an email that SD sent to BM at the time and date she was alone, asking where she was, saying that she was scared being at the house alone. The email was in SD's email account, on her iPad. It's been forwarded to DH.

And I understand that many children are mature at that age, but SD is not emotionally mature in that manner. My own sister was babysitting at age 11 also. My sister and I were latch key kids, starting when I was in first grade and my sister was in second. We survived, but we had each other. It's a different ball game with SD (and my BD, for that matter)...they have supervision all the time (at least with us and my BD with her dad), due to my not working and DH and my ex's flexible schedules. BM frequently uses my IL's for babysitting, so there is no reason (that DH or I see) for SD to be left in that position.

Dizzy's picture

Dup

Calypso1977's picture

some states have laws, but i think you cant put a number on it.

my 10 year old nephew is WAY more responsible and mature than my 13 year old SD. id leave him alone for 1/2 hour to run to the store. i would never leave SD alone at least in my house simply because she cant be trusted and doesnt even know how to use the stove!