You are here

Breaking Point - Please Help

cinderella777's picture

Hi, I don't even know where to begin. There is so much to tell and it's complicated. I posted here a few times before - last year, but requested a new password and never got one. I wanted to see my old posts to compare. Let me apologize in advance if it's a rant. I am just desperate for help. I have NO ONE that understands this situation except you all. I've also found comic relief here.

Anyway, I am step mom (no bio kids) to an 11 year old girl. We've only been married just over a year. Together 2 years. Most of the time the daughter is very disrespectful to adults and super smart mouthed. Just last week she told me to "stop complaining because she LET ME have the tv" and a huge fight ensued. Lately she has made improvements though. I blame her Mom. Her Mom told her flat out that she hates me. I also blame my DH. He fails to set boundaries with the kid OR the ex wife and lately I'm more mad at him than the kid (I think). He puts his ex's feelings over mine ALL the time because he says the kid will pay the price emotionally if not. (possibly, but i'm still sick of it) He always says I HAVE TO PROTECT MY KID.

I am trying to squeeze everything in here. First off, most of you are so lucky. I have SD for a week at a time. Just the other day, it came up that she may be living with us FULL TIME!!!!! This was not even discussed with me, only with the Bio mom. I am so mad at my husband and so very sad. He flat out told me that the kid comes first. Every single person I know agrees with him. I can't tell you how many times my single mom friends say that same thing. All his friends tell him "of course your kid comes first" "she doesn't understand b/c she has no kids" UGH It makes me feel like terrible expecting to be first.

Every night she is here she literally NEVER leaves the couch. She is an only child, so I guess she's lonely. She is on the couch ALL NIGHT LONG with us. She only leaves the couch to pee and even then runs to come back. I'm not kidding.

She has CONSTANT sports. 5 weeknights DH doesn't arrive until about 9 pm or later due to sports (and he coaches her sports for a job also), so I am alone every single evening. Every single weekend (EVERRRRY weekend) she has sports and sometimes tournaments, all day both days. I am so torn. She is talented and could be a pro player and I know he's trying to secure her future, but I feel so lonely. So left out. I know I should go and support and I do sometimes, but I don't want my entire life to revolve around sports seven days a week and never go anywhere with DH weekends for the next maybe 10 years. He also plays sports 2 or 3 nights a week. So it is LITERALLY SEVEN DAYS A WEEK of sports.

My feelings are all over the place. I am so sad and stressed. I do have anxiety and we have been fighting constantly lately. He gets so frustrated that he yells at me when we fight lately. He refuses to acknowledge a problem and he wont' even discuss things. I resorted to asking him to watch a 10 minute video clip that portrayed our EXACT scenario with the kid besides us 24/7 thinking she is the wife and he got defensive and said No. That's not us.

He has said "I don't have discussions like this" "Married people don't all argue" (yes they do) He has said this is all "women's stuff". He has zero conflict resolution skills and in the past when we fought, I would just go on like normal and he was fine, sweet as ever. The prob is now - I'm SICK of doing that. The fights have gotten worse and worse b/c nothing is ever resolved. We are in bad shape financially, since day one. I am soooo resentful. He has a home business but it barely makes money and coaches her sports evenings for money. He barely makes anything doing that. I'm talking $250 a week!! I lost my job. he didn't pay the mortgage to a friend for SIX months without telling me. He has since mortgaged out the remaining asset of the house to another friend. He REFUSES to get a regular job because he is sad he has his own biz for 20 years. I get it, but I know he won't get a job because he has to coach his daughter. I WANT her to be successful, I really do - but I don't want it at the expense of our whole family!!! But if he doesn't coach her, she will not excel like she could.

Thurs night I tried again to talk with him, calmly. He said I was acting "crazy". I absolutely was not. I feel dismissed, lonely, in a tailspin. He constantly says "SHE"S ELEVEN!!!"" You are a grown woman. They are together 24/7 with the sports, they speak a foreign language I dont understand (that has improved) and she cuddles him on the couch most nights between us. I have told him flat out that I feel LASSST on the list to everyone. I feel last to His daughter, her sports, His sports, his ex wife..and then comes me. He said nothing to reassure me. Not a word.

Right this minute, she is on the couch in her bath towel and they are watching tv and speaking in foreign language. I think she's waaaaaay too old to be in her bath towel. Only last week did she stop simply wearing panties around the house. I think she's too old for that!! I feel like an outsider. I know he loves me, but this is not right. He tells me I'm wrong. my feelings are wrong. he tells me I'm not lonely because I have the pets. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.
I am his PARTNER. not his KID! I was dillusional thinking we'd all be a happy family. don't get me wrong, sometimes we are, but mostly no. I had no idea what this would be like. I feel he would be fine with his mini wife. I can not leave. I have no job and no money. I am seeking work, yes. I have debt. I am stuck for now. I feel so unheard and dismissed and like the second wife.

I am not just mad. I am sad that I am so last. I am so desperate that I'm posting to strangers for help. Do the kids come first? If not, then why does EVERYONE say that?? Shouldn't there be boundaries? Do the kids have to constantly be in the living room? Like CONSTANTLY? I hate that his ex will always be in the picture. This is so hard. He left her name on the tv for SIX months last year even though it bothered me - because he said the kid would be upset and he wouldn't tell the bio mom b/c she would be mad. He speaks a foreign language on phone with bio mom sometimes in front of me because if he spoke english SHE would be upset. WHAT THE FREAK?? I don't care if she was upset.

Can anyone please give me some help? This is nothign I'm used to. I never been with a man with kids and ex wife baggage. I don't know what to do. It is clear that I can not talk to my husband. We are completely unable to communicate. If its' something he disagrees with, he will walk away and dismiss me or lately start getting angry. He says I have pushed him to that point.

I really don't want any "you go girl" kick him to the curb responses. Believe it or not, he is a good man and I do love him. I'm heart broken. I feel the end is near for us and it seems like he doesn't even care. I've even hinted to him that I want to separate. The thing is, I'm 45 years old now. There is a lot of problematic men out there. It is tough for a woman my age. I don't want to move into a 1 bedroom apt like I had when I was younger and start all over. I know I will prob have to though. Can anyone relate? Any advice is welcomed.

Sorry to ramble. I am just so upset today. S O S

cinderella777's picture

Wanted to add, if kick him to the curb is your thought, go ahead. All responses are welcomed. I'm just upset. Sorry for the long post. I should be able to resolve this with my husband, not strangers - one would think. I also requested we go to counseling. He says he doesn't have time. Needs to make money.

notasm3's picture

No you are not his partner. He may have married you, but he does not want to be your partner. He's an ass. It's up to you whether you can tolerate his assholiness for the rest of your life. He will be protecting that daughter at any cost to others until the day he dies.

I had to start my life all over again in my mid 40s. Went from owning 3 homes to living in an apartment - sometimes even with roommates. Had NOTHING and was in debt. Had to totally get a new career.

Guess what I did it. I ended up with a fabulous new career that took me all of the world multiple times a year. I saved like crazy bought a great home and even was able to retire early. I did all of that on my own but later met my fabulous husband who adores me and will do anything for me. He does have a worthless son, but I always come first.

No one can tell you what is right for you. Only you have all the facts and can decide what is right for you.

cinderella777's picture

I'm so happy for you. Congrats. I can not have roomates because I have 3 pets to take with me. I will never give them away. You are 100% correct in saying he will put kids needs over mine until he dies. I can't handle it. I have been doing some soul searching for the last couple months but a lot lately. Even if things aren't right, it's still devastating, ya know? Even when you know you probably have to do something, it's still hard.

notasm3's picture

Oh I'm so with you on the pets. Most of the time when I had a roommate it was because I had a 2BR place and one of my friends or work acquaintances needed a short term place to stay. So I made a little extra money off of my 2nd BR.

Yes it's hard. To be honest it has usually taken me a year or close to it to take an action like that even after I know it's what I need to do.

cinderella777's picture

you are right. It is clear where I stand. And I'm sad. And he IS being financially irresponsible for sure. I would probably never get the wedding he promised me anyway. The kids needs will always come first at the expense of Everything

BethAnne's picture

The kids come first in terms of needs but spouses come first in terms of wants. Also, there should be clear and timely communication with you about anything that could affect you in the slightest. So if BM lost her home or was abusive towards SD then yes your husband should have his daughter full time but he should still talk to you up front about it and be understanding that it will affect you and serif there are ways to make there situation slightly more comfortable for you. If sd simply prefers living with dad or dad wants full time custody (but BM house is ok) then the discussion with you needs to allow you to have a say in the situation and your views should be considered and weighed up in deciding what is best to do.

A good partner will listen to your concerns and work with you to find someway to make it work for all of you. An inconsiderate partner tells you things are how they are and you just have to suck it up, there is no element of compromise or discussion.

I know I would not want to live in your situation. Where things better before you moved in together? If you really want to keep the relationship maybe you two could try living separately again? Not sure it really is the solution but it is an option.

cinderella777's picture

With regard to him not having to ask me about the kid coming to live here. the reason it irks me besides the fact that he allows her to take over the entire livign room while I lock myself in my room for 5 or 6 hours (she's been on the couch since noon today. It's after 5 - hogging the tv because she wont watch the brand new never used tv in her room because the cable is basic). The reason is because the ex mom wants to dump her here while she gets to go have a wonderful happy stress free life with her new boyfriend and job. The kid split up the moms previous relationship due to her terrible behavior. So, I get to watch HER kid while she has a quiet life and pop in once in a while?? Again, I feel husband doing what's best for the BIO mom not me.

cinderella777's picture

Yes, I'm in the process of accepting things. The reason I said he's a good man is I can not describe every aspect of my marriage in one post. There are good sides to him as well. He was there for me when my beloved pet passed, when my dad was sick, etc. I don't need you to say "What is wrong with you" or that I'm "off the rails" which I don't live where you do, but I'm assuming that implies I'm crazy or emotional. That was not called for. I don't need a domestic violence shelter either. Some of the other things you said are correct. Thanks for your input

wushock's picture

"I usually think this is the wrong premise. Your husband should discuss things with you but in the case of his daughter coming to live with him, you don't get veto power. He doesn't have to ask your permission and doesn't need you to agree with the decision. You can't very well say no to the prospect, so the discussion would pretty much just be a matter of formality. Any parent can bring their child to live with them if they want. Step parents have to deal with it or leave if they don't want to live with the kid."

All depends on the situation. My husband DID ask my permission and he DID need me to agree with the decision for his son to move into our home. And Yes, I had and still have veto power. This is because the home we live in...I bought well before the marriage and my husband cannot afford to live in the home without my support. In addition, I pay for most of the expenses associated with the home. I would go as far as to say that if my husband were to go out on his own with his son, financially, their position would drop from solid middle class to poverty. I agree that any parent can bring their child to live with them if they want but I am in the position where I don't have to deal with anything like this that becomes unbearable to me. If this becomes the case, it would be them (husband and his son) that would need to leave the home. I would hope others that are in these types of situations are in the same position and don't have to feel that they are in the helpless/powerless situation as you have described above.

fuckitall's picture

I haven't read previous comments yet, but I have to say NO she should not be cuddling her dad in her bath towel at 11, and no walking around the house in just panties. Why in the world would he be okay with that innapropriate boundary crossing... I find it disturbing...

notasm3's picture

There's a HUGE difference in a man putting his minor daughter's well being as a big priority in his life and his putting his EX WIFE's preferences, wants and needs above his current wife. And to use the &*^%( excuse that "it's for the child" is really low.

Any man who makes decisions based on what his ex wife wants at the expense of his current wife is just a major douche bag of assholiness.

cinderella777's picture

major douchebag of assholiness made me literally laugh out loud. I have laughed at quite a few of the posts on this board. What a great stress relief lol

cinderella777's picture

I've been in my room for 5 hours while she watches the livingroom tv. ANd he's there with her, cuddling. while I'm destroyed inside. It feels like I'm in a dream I can't wake up from. It just feels so weird to me.

As for me not wanting to be alone. I'm not sure anyone really does. I have done it though. I met him at nearly 43 after EIGHT years of being alone. Eight years of "ladies nights" Eight years of first dates. It is hard to go back to that at almost 45. Very hard. I do love myself, but I want my husband to treat me right too.

He is a poor communicator, like most men. He comes and hugs me sometimes and says he loves me. Why do you all stay in this?

moeilijk's picture

Maybe he does love you. But he's not offering you the relationship you want to be part of. I'm sorry.

I recently read some advice from someone else on this board. They made a list of all the things they wanted to do 'one day', and circled everything they could do on their own. Then they went and did them.

At yoga class today one of the things the instructor said really struck me. She said, focus on your energy and your breath, let go of everything else. Everything that isn't you, just leave behind. So you can become yourself.

I think this man and his kid make your life complicated and tense and tiring. But life is fun and simple and energizing when you're around people who love and accept you and seek out your wonderful company.

Only you can know where the joy is in your life.

cinderella777's picture

You are right. He is not offering a relationship that I want for me. Well, life isn't always fun and simple and energizing. It should be though. Thanks for the uplifting message

moeilijk's picture

Well, no, life isn't all roses and rainbows and unicorn sprinkles. But everything, even the big piles of sh!t life can bring, is much easier for me since I've been with my DH. He can be a dink and drive me nuts, but he's also the one who feels good helping me reach my goals, who tries to think of ways to make my life easier, and can't wait to spend time with me every day.

cinderella777's picture

LOL roses and rainbows and unicorn sprinkles Smile Wouldn't it be nice if it was? I'm happy for you that you have a great man by your side. It certainly makes life easier.

cinderella777's picture

great advice! I AM a hopeless romantic by nature. He thinks romance is washing my car. His way to show love is by acts of doing things like that. Mine is words and roses and all that jazz. He does buy roses too once in a blue moon, but all in all he's just not the romantic type. I don't know how many men really are ????
Your suggestion is a good one. Thank you

FieryEscape's picture

Love isn't enough. Your DH will never put any of your needs first. You need to take a long hard look at your life and marriage and decide if it is worth staying. You aren't happy . You are stressed and miserable. You need to find a job and your own place. Let your DH have his mini-wife relationship with SD11, it's what he wants and he will never change.

I kicked my exDH to the curb in part due to how he ignored me and put exSD10 on a pedestal. My needs were never a priority. I was lonely and sad. It wasn't a life I wanted to be part of anymore. Divorce and starting over sucks , but staying in a dead marriage will destroy you.

And :sick: An 11 year old watching tv in just a towel after a shower is inappropriate on so many levels. Kid needs to learn some modesty.

cinderella777's picture

I am in the midst of evaluating Everything, believe me. I am doing a lot of soul searching and thinking for some time now, especially lately though.
I suppose part of the sadness and hesitation is that I have no kids and by this age, this was sorta my last shot at a "family" of my own. I know that you never know what good things are around the corner though.

I do understand why you left your exDH. I feel the same. My needs are not a priority. I am lonely when they are constantly emersed in sports sports sports and hardly here.

Kid has ZERO modesty. They are foreign and from a much more liberal culture so I don't think the parents ever taught her. She sits like a boy with legs wide open at her age. I tell her not to and to sit more lady like.

cinderella777's picture

I am in the midst of evaluating Everything, believe me. I am doing a lot of soul searching and thinking for some time now, especially lately though.
I suppose part of the sadness and hesitation is that I have no kids and by this age, this was sorta my last shot at a "family" of my own. I know that you never know what good things are around the corner though.

I do understand why you left your exDH. I feel the same. My needs are not a priority. I am lonely when they are constantly emersed in sports sports sports and hardly here. Even when they are here, it's like they're in their own world and I'm just looking through the window. A step mom is a lonely role.

Kid has ZERO modesty. They are foreign and from a much more liberal culture so I don't think the parents ever taught her. She sits like a boy with legs wide open at her age. I tell her not to and to sit more lady like.

BethAnne's picture

I would not say that he is not a good man, just that he is not a good partner for the op.

thinkthrice's picture

I could have written WORD FOR WORD everything you described 12 yrs ago. I'm here to tell you that those "good qualities" you see in him will slowly fade away. You will seeth with resentment and end up with nothing but contempt, not only for his spawn, but for HIM as well.

Had anyone told me this 12 yrs ago, I would have NEVER believed it. But he is showing you that you are dead last to him. Oh, and he will start to gaslight you as well; telling you quite the opposite.

Soon he'll be saying "I NEVER SAID THAT!" when you know damn well he did. My advice is to run now while you still have your pride in one piece--because he'll wear that down to a nub.

cinderella777's picture

They are already fading. I have no one to talk to about this step mom thing because no one understsands and the step mom is supposed to be this holy figure of perfectness. The step mom, in my opinion, has a tougher role than the mom.

I can't do gaslighting. He already makes it seem like my perceptions are not correct. I'm not going to have that.

2Tired4Drama's picture

Sueu2, as usual, you give very logical advice. OP, you came to this site because you know most of us here have experience with these issues. Don't discount what we tell you - it's hard for you to see it because you are so immersed in an unhealthy situation you can't see straight.

There are a lot more red flags here than just your SD. The fact your DH is keeping financial secrets is a big flag. He flat-out tells you his daughter is his priority - another flag. SD seems to be enmeshed with her father in a troubling way - where are her friends? Is her Daddy her only friend? The fact she's 11 and is entering puberty (if not already in it) makes her behaviors with her father troubling and will only get worse as she becomes an emotional/territorial teen. Yet another flag.

It seems you are staying in this relationship because you fear being alone. Guess what? You ARE ALREADY ALONE ... you are just living in the same space as this man and his daughter.

If I were you, I'd do anything I could to find work - especially work in the evenings where I could get away from the freak-show on the couch. Fast food place? Fine! Anything to earn money. Open up your own bank account and have your pay direct deposited there. Build up a nest egg so that you can exit this situation and take your pets with you. Don't find reasons you CAN'T leave him, find ways to do it!

The alternative is you will probably spend the rest of your life miserable, unhappy and with increasingly worse problems with the SD and your DH. Is that all your life is worth?

cinderella777's picture

I laughed out loud at the "freak-show on the couch" LOL

I have found that most parents DO tell their partner or person they just start dating that the "kid comes first". All of my single mom friends say it (hence they are all alone). No one here really agrees with that though it seems.

I can not imagine the emotional territorial teen getting worse - yikes!

I was alone 8 years. No, I don't really want to go back to that, but if that's what it is, that's what it is I guess.

cinderella777's picture

I'm not angry. I just didn't appreciate those couple of rude statements on your part. Some of your advice was good. I plan to seek counseling this week for myself anyway, even though he won't go. I think it will help me gain clarity and deal with the emotional parts of contemplating leaving.

cinderella777's picture

UPDATE: So, after the couch/tv thing yesterday and after I posted here.. I walked out and asked if the tv would be on all night with sports. DH did tell the kid to go do something else. She came out 10 times in the living room, but they turned the tv to my show I had recorded. That was cute.

I ended up going out for a much needed night with an old friend. Her and I talked a lot. She can't really offer much advice here though because I feel she is biased. She is a Mom and her kids now have a step mom, which they constantly complain about (naturally). Actually, her daughter complains to her that her stepmom doesn't allow her to sit with her father. I can tell from our talks that my friend encourages her kids to talk smack about their step mom, but she doesn't admit she does that.

This morning, step kid sat behind her dad and cuddled him, hugging on him on the couch while we all watched a sports match. Some moms say it's normal. I am not a parent. I don't like it. She rubs her dad's back sometimes. She has no other family in this country and is an only child. Her father has no more living family. Maybe that's why, I dont' know. It irks me.

Step kids cuteness ended this morning also when neither of them let the dog out to pee. So, step kid says to me "you let him out! he's YOURRRR dog" Ugh the mouth on that kid. Her Dad did correct her, but this kind of thing has built up over time. Last week she told me while I commented on a cute house on tv she said "huh. Like YOU could EVER afford that house"! AND I am waiting for an interview for a great job. She told me the only reason I got the interview was because "No one else wants that job" These crazy rude statements have built up resentment in me, so now the slightest thing she says annoys the shit out of me. She has her nice moments as well though, but they arent' as touching to me as they once were.

I am looking into low cost counseling tomorrow to help me get some blended family insight and to give me some clarity on this whole thing. I plan to do a lot more soul searching and possibly - if I can afford it - just go somewhere for a few days to really think about all this - alone.

I have no one I can really talk to about this because everyone says "kids come first". and that I don't understand because I am not a mother. This site is really good to have. I get a laugh out of a lot of posts here and nicknames for the steps also. Skid makes me laugh, potato and fungus LMAO Terrible I know, but it's funny.

You all gave some really good suggestions. My question to you guys at this moment is - Why do you all stay with your husbands? Do you mostly have bio kids together? Why don't you leave?

BethAnne's picture

I am glad that you are going to try to find someone to talk to. Just do not be surprised if the therapist is also of the feeling that kids come first. You might be lucky and get an understanding therapist or you might (as many on this board have found) end up with a kids come first therapist. Do not be afraid to move onto a different therapist if they do not take your concerns seriously.

As for why I stay. I stay because my husband is very understanding and makes accommodations to make me feel more comfortable. When I have an issue he listens to me and helps us to find a way to make it better. I stay because when I first moved in with him and told him that I knew it was stupid but I felt jealous of his daughter and the attention that she got, he tried to understand my position and made sure to give me some attention too. I stay because he backs me up and let's me have equal status to him in our house. He listens to my parenting suggestions and trusts my judgement. We have a good relationship that I value and he values me too.

LuckyGirl's picture

Oh for God's sake girl. Of course kids come first in the sense that you take care of them. And that means you do your damned best to make sure that they are cared for physically and emotionally: as a parent you are there for the good times and the bad times, you give them the best you can and you try to make sure they grow up into level-headed, decent, balanced, kind-hearted human beings with a solid sense of self worth (note I said worth and not entitlement), that actually bring something positive to the world they live in. This whole process takes many years of bl**dy hard work with no guarantee of success.

I am a mother and yes, my daughter will come first until she no longer needs me. And I will do the best I can for her and by her, and try to ensure that she turns into an adult able and willing to stand on her own two feet. This is as it should be.

That said, there is no way I would allow her to treat other people (adults or kids) in her life with rudeness and disrespect. I would not expect any daughter of mine to behave as your SD, and I would not expect any daughter of mine to meekly accept the kind of cr*p that you are apparently putting up with. Would you?

I think you have to sit down and really evaluate your life: how it is today, and how you would like it to be in 5 years. Be honest with yourself. Then make the decisions needed to start going in that direction. I wish you courage and good luck.

cinderella777's picture

UPDATE:

So, after a few days of peace and DH being sweet, we finally had a conversation again. He is in the middle of agony with toothpain (and no money to fix it) but said go ahead and talk.

It is hard to sum up the whole thing in a post, but basically he says that the ex wife is emotionally manipulative and vengeful with the kid. If she is upset, she will take out her emotions on the kid. (I HAVE witnessed this). I don't know if she realizes what she is doing, but she is emotionally VERY immature. For example, one time she told the kid that she HATES me (for no reason). If the kid speaks about me too much to her bio mom, the mom will say "Oh what, now you love HER more?" anyway that kind of thing.

So, DH said that 1) he will not correct the ex wife/set boundaries because she will get upset with kid.
2) the child will come before me in every way. (A poster above in this post said that is the way it should be). and his friends all agree
3) The ex wife was allowed to say that I don't need to make rules/chores in my home, etc. He didn't say exact words, but essentially said the ex can run OUR home too in a way. If not, she will take it out on the kid.
4) I told him I feel last to everything - including ex. He said it is for the sake of the child.

So, we didn't really accomplish anything. It was better communication style at first, but then he got agitated again.

These boundary issues have existed since day one. For example: We have a amazon tv account. He left the ex wifes name on the account and on the tv screen for SIX months because he said if he took it off the kid would be upset and wouldn't understand and the ex would just poke fun at him. I thought that was ludicrous and it annoyed the shit out of me for the entire 6 months. He said when it comes to his daughter, he would've left it there for a year. Part of the kid's problems is that they lived together for a year plus after divorcing and never told the child. They thought they were helping her. She didn't have much time to adjust.

Before everyone goes bizerk and says "Dump that douche canoe" Please understand, I am trying to relate to a parent. I don't have kids. At what length would YOU go for your child? Is he right here? I can see how much his daughter means to him. I can see how much he wants to protect her. I want to protect her too. I try my best. I dont' hate the child. (sometimes lol) Am I wrong here? I feel the adult relationship comes first and that I should never have to feel last to the ex wife especially. Some kind thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

cinderella777's picture

He does correct step kid when she is wrong and he does step in if she is disrespectful. We just dont agree on chores, etc. I think she should have some. He doesn't and the mom doesn't. I feel as long as the child is safe and taken care of, she has no business butting into our home

still learning's picture

You did get a lot accomplished, he told you EXACTLY where you stand and how unimportant you are in his life. You are dead last behind the ex wife. All the other women in his life come first and you don't matter at all.

By all means stay, at least you're protecting some other naive woman from marrying him.

cinderella777's picture

Of course I think kids comes first for food shelter etc but I don't think kids come before a marriage. I don't think you should mortgage the house away and not get a better job so you can get your kid a sports career. I don't think the kid comes before the marriage financial respinsibility before the spouses retirement life savings

Steptococci's picture

Well, the natural order of things - (first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby...) is off in blended families and this is probably why remarriages with kids have about a 70% divorce rate.

If you want a remarriage with kids to work, (according to the research, anyway) it has to be the foundation of the family, which means, it many ways, it has to come first. The child's needs are a priority no less than they were before the remarriage. But the adults in the relationship should form the head of the household.

So if DH wants his new family to work, your marriage has to come first. Not to sound too pessimistic but based on everything you've described here, DH is essentially telling you he doesn't care, because he's still sort of married to his ex (for the "good" of SD.) He's got his priorities all out of whack, and unless something major changes, I don't see how you can be happy.

BethAnne's picture

Some parents would feel like your husband and think that a child absolutely always comes first. That is their right and their choice. But they do not make good partners especially when their spouse is not the bio parent of their child. A good partner would recognize that sometimes the needs and wants of adults come before the child's wants. So if there is a spare $100 one month sometimes it is a good idea to invest that in the marriage and have a date night rather than buy the kid some expensive jeans or whatever they have been whining about. It means that sometimes the child needs to learn that a household is a team and they must help the team and do some of the chores. It means that sometimes a child does not get to cuddle with dad but gets to see what a loving and healthy relationship looks like by seeing sm and day cuddling. Just because your husband does not want to stand up to his ex and he wants to put his daughter in front of you, does not mean that you have to put up with it. All of the conversations that you have retold us here show us that he is not prepared to change or compromise. The situation will not improve. If you are not happy and you want to be happy your only option is to end this relationship, your husband has no interest in understanding your concerns and acting in them.

Disillusioned's picture

A child's needs should come first, but, that does not mean the child is treated the way your DH treats his, nor the wife treated the way he treats you!

My DH also told me, when we first started dating, that his daughters came first.

As a parent, your first responsibility should be your children's needs (not wants) and simply that means that your # 1 responsibility is to insure they are clothed, fed, have a roof over their heads, are loved and cared for, educated and raised to be responsible, contributing members of society.

It does not mean that everything revolves around them.

It doesn't mean they're allowed to be disrespectful or rude to any adult, including the SM

Nor do they get to control what's on the TV, or sit and cuddle with daddy every single night, especially in only a towel and especially at age 11

It does not mean your DH has to love them more.

Your DH can put his children's needs first as a responsible parent, and still love and adore his wife more than anyone on this planet - including his children!

That's what happened with my DH. He started out with the old "my children come first" "my job second" and ya, the woman in his life third....well, eventually when he learned it works two ways and guess what, he didn't even make my list LOL - his attitude changed.

SD's needs were still first (and should be) but DH admitted somewhat guiltily one night that it was me that was "front and centre" in his mind, and that he was afraid he loved me even more than his children

At this point in my life I think, so what? So what if you love your spouse more than anyone, including your children? If a man loves his wife - also the mother of his children - more than anyone on the planet everyone, including their children, would think that was the sweetest, most romantic thing around

And I think this is what so many SM's and their DH's - not to mention the skids - confuse

The DH's feel guilty about the divorce, live in fear their kids will walk out of their life, worry people will think they are not a good parent, so they overcompensate to prove to the world and themselves what great parents they are.

They brag about putting their "kids first" and think it means they have to dote on the child non-stop, spoil the child rotten, make big statements of how much they love their little princess, allow the child to do whatever they want all in the name of how much disney daddy just adores them above all others - all to look good, and think if they do any of the above for their wife, they will somehow be judged as putting the child last, neglecting the kids needs etc...

My own Mom may have screwed up a lot, but she had this part down, and well

When she divorced my Dad and remarried my SF, it was pretty clear to us kids the way it stood: our needs came first and she would always look after her children however, our SF was the love of her life and she would not tolerate any disrespect towards him.

She may have put our needs first, but her marriage was her main priority. She loved her husband above all else, if she ever had been forced to choose, hands down he was the one she loved most

And you know what? I could have cared less! And that is because that was how we were raised. We knew our role, our place - and that was not anywhere equal let alone above an adult

The parents that remarry, then pull this crap with every single thing being about "my kids needs come first" are full of it IMO. Just an excuse to get what they want - put their own needs first.

If you are a loving, supportive spouse, who insures your SO knows they are very much loved and the # 1 priority, I think you would rarely if ever have to remind someone how 'your kids come first'

Stepdrama11's picture

Beautifully, eloquently said.

Right on.

I want to print this out and hang it on the wall.

Excellent. Thank you.

cinderella777's picture

Yes, that's part of the problem. She does not know her place at all. Kids Do NOT run a home, in my opinion. Kids don't listen to and interrupt adult conversations. When we were kids, we left the room when adults were speaking.

The parents that remarry, then pull this crap with every single thing being about "my kids needs come first" are full of it IMO. Just an excuse to get what they want - put their own needs first.

If you are a loving, supportive spouse, who insures your SO knows they are very much loved and the # 1 priority, I think you would rarely if ever have to remind someone how 'your kids come first'

AGREE AGREE AGREE!!! Right on!

notsurehowtodeal's picture

I agree with Sally. If he wants his child to come first, then he should be willing to meet all of her needs. That means he does everything for her - cook, clean, drop offs, etc. You do absolutely nothing for her - after all, she is the most important thing to him, and you might do something to upset the ex.

I think you should get out now, but if you decide to stay, check out this book, "The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts" by Gary Chapman. The basic idea is that everyone expresses love in a different way - and everyone needs love in a different way. When your needs don't match the way your SO expresses love you have a problem.

He thinks there are 5 different ways that people express love:
Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch
You might be able to reconcile your differences, or you might learn he is never going to meet your needs.

As far as the bath towel - if she is wearing nothing underneath I don't see how she can keep herself completely covered up while "cuddling" on the couch. Of all of the red flags in your situation - I think that is the biggest.

ashley noel's picture

I know exactly how you are feeling, trust me, its a breath of fresh air knowing I'm not the only one but at the same time I just want to hug you because I know the feeling, I know the hurt and the pain. Things will not get better unless your husband makes sure of it. I had this discussion with my husband just this morning. I don't believe an adult should revolve their whole life around their kid, the kid revolves around the parents. If you are told to do something, you do it, you don't mouth off or back sass. And your husband, seeing as youre his WIFE needs to give you the time of day and listen to you. You shouldn't have to bottle everything up. You shouldn't be told that youre crazy, cuz you know what? youre not. Cuz if you are, so am I. This is when you decide if youre willing to wait for it to maybe get better or tell your husband that youre not living like this and either get counseling or whatever is needed or leave. Its hard, I know. But you will get to a point of being so sad, resentful and upset that you wont want him around. You will do anything to get away from him/them.

just know I'm in the same boat as you, and I can promise you that I'm the caption because I have to deal with SOOOO much disrespect from my SS and his father when the SS is around. Just know you are not alone.

cinderella777's picture

No, you are by far not the only one. I don't think any of us would be here unless we needed to vent because we're in a tough situation. No, I do not believe an adult should revolve their entire waking life around their kid either. I agree. you are told to do something, you do it. That's how I was raised. I know I shouldn't have to bottle thigns up and trust me - lately I haven't been lol Sometimes it's not so bad, but often it is. I can't stand this little freak show sometimes. An 11 yr old whining in a baby voice to daaaadddy (in a foreign language to boot) drives me nuts. When he makes her dinner and she says "this looks horrible" and he makes something else, I want to puke. When we were kids, we ate what was served or too bad.

I am already so sad, resentful and upset. That is why I came here. I dont' want to look at either of them at the moment. I would love a break from both of them for a few days at least. I'm really considering my future lately. I'm looking for a new job. I'm merely trying to exist peacefully for now. My SD just arrived and already I feel tense because I know the BS will start. She is totally ignoring me at the moment and didn't even say hello. Last year she ruined my birthday. She was horrible the entire day. I'm not letting that happen this year.

It is nice to know someone else can relate. It really helps. Thank you

cinderella777's picture

I have told her that she does not know her place as the CHILD. I didn't get affection from my Dad either and I was not promiscuous or hanging all over my dad.
Honestly, I really don't care anymore why she does it. It just annoys me to no end. That's all I know.

cinderella777's picture

I can understand what your'e saying. I dont' blame you for being jealous in that scenario. Y

cinderella777's picture

Actually I've been doing thaT. Pi turing myself in an apt but I am not able to answer your question yet. Yes I do see peace, but I also see loneliness..which I was familair with for 8 years in an apt. It is hard to picture at my age now in a 1 bdrm apt near college kids I live in a 4 bdrm house But I think of it often. I'm looking for low cost therapy but no luck yet

cinderella777's picture

Ive even been driving around taking photos of apts. And even furniture. I don't have the money or job yet. I don't know if it just helps me to have the escape fantasy or if that means I really want it. Time will tell