You are here

Birthday parties for 15 yr olds?

northernsiren's picture

Hey folks, SD is having a small group of friends over for her birthday. We're planning pizza, cake and ice cream. Beyond that, I have no clue about what else I should be thinking about! I mean, they're too old for games, or no? Balloons? A happy birthday banner thing? What time are such things usually held? Do we offer to drive guests one way?

Are they going to just want to hang in her room or in the living room, play video games, and watch movies? Kind of like a usual friend over, but just more of them?

Help I have no recollection of these sorts of things for kids this old, other than summer parties when things were done outside, or pool parties....

Thanks!

Chel Bell's picture

Is what I did with a friend one time for her daughters b-day party. It turned into a sleep-over for a few of her "close" friends, there were 8 guests total for the party. It was alot of fun. Lots of "teen friendly" foods, and cake w/ ice cream. Turned out the lights, and closed the curtins for the movies. We even put the glasses on a few times to watch. It turned out to be pretty fun. The kids picked out what type of 3-D movies they wanted (nothing to scary). But it was funny to watch 'em jump a few times. It's also good to offer rides home to those that need it. Hope this helps. :)"~waiting on the world to change~"

northernsiren's picture

I didn't think they made these anymore... we could definitely surrender the living room to them for the afternoon and let them do that, I'd rather something like that then them being on the internet all afternoon in SD's room...

Oh and I'm pretty sure two of the girls will sleep over, and the other three (2 of them boys) will go home.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Chel Bell's picture

was where we went, but now I think they give/sell you glasses whenever you buy a 3-D movie at video stores. If you tell 'em it's for a party, they usually give you a good deal."~waiting on the world to change~"

Chel Bell's picture

just this christmas got the POLAR EXPRESS in 3-D, and we got the glasses with it. It was cool. I wonder if e-bay sells them with the movies. I bet they do, they have everything!"~waiting on the world to change~"

northernsiren's picture

I know if I could get like jurassic park and independence day, it'd be a hit.... thank you!

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

ferretmom's picture

When I had sd's sweet sixteen I rented several movies and let them borrow my trivial pursuit dvd. We made sure there were plenty of cds for dancing, set out monopoly and pictionary. My H didn't like it but I would cruise through every so often to make sure every one was behaving. I did mexican food for the party and made an ice cream cake.

northernsiren's picture

I think they're too old to really orchestrate a party for them, but I want to sort of stage things so they can easily see their options and choose what to do themselves.

The way our house is set up, short of staying in our bedroom, there's no way we won't be 'checking up on them' throughout the day/evening. Also SD's grandparents will probably at least stop by for cake, so there will be more adults...

hkirstine's picture

I say you can't go wrong with a scavenger hunt around your neighborhood! Come up with a list of things they would find OMG to have to ask for or just funnies..have them be in two teams and race to see who finds what the fastest! Its always fun too to have points for the items besed on the OMG factor! It gives them the chance to get out of the house and lose some energy and gives you 20 minutes or more to meditate! Smile If it is too cold where you live then do a web hunt!! Those are great too if you have more than one computer!!