You are here

Back Again with more stepdaughter problems

Mike51772's picture

So I haven’t posted in a while. My stepdaughter is now 13.      Her mom and I have been together since she was 5.   Married since she’s 7.   Her bio father is basically not in her life. He’s a drug addict and alcoholic who lives either in flophouse-like apartments or the city mission. We started having trouble at home about two years ago. With her being very rude to me.  Telling me she doesn’t have to listen to me because we “aren’t even related”.  My wife constantly made excuses for her behavior.  That did get a little better for a few months.  I’ll admit sometimes when my stepdaughter was very rude to me, I said some pretty mean things back.  I’m NOT proud of that and have worked to bite my tough better. That has improved in part year or so.  I’m certainly not a perfect stepdad.  But I’m stable, consistent, loving and supportive.  Nobody ever has to worry about me being reliable and consistent in my duties as a parent. Most of the major expenses related to my stepdaughter, my wife does cover.  However, she is extremely involved in high level travel softball and I’ve contributed many thousands of dollars to that.  Along with being very present and supportive of her with thst......and everything she does. I arrange my work schedule so as to be able to go with her and her mom to her travel softball tournaments thst have us out of town most every weekend in summer. So I’m a very very committed stepdad.  Well things have only gotten worse with her telling me “you’re not my father” on a number of occasions.  Tonight she didn’t get to sleep over at a friends house, and a big part of reason is o voiced real concerns about the friend.  Her mother faked a lease agreement to get them in our school district. Then got caught and did get an apartment in school district.  Many people at the school have told me the kid is sketchy and sneaky and a potential bad influence.  So my wife went along with my suggestion she didn’t let her sleep over.  Well when my wife picked her up tonight and got home I came out to living room to see my wife in tears.  My wife told my stepdaughter that she’s unhappy at home and it’s modtkt my fault.  I make the house unhappy.  She then came out of her room when I was talking to her mom and told me not to bother her mom and that she wanted me to just leave.  Like leave for good.  Then she went back to her room.  I asked my wife what she thought of the kid speaking to me thst way and she said some of If was related to arguing in the house and me having said mean things to stepdaughter when her and I argued in past.  The other part my white chalked up to just being a mouthy teenager.  My wife’s implication being I just had to put up with it. Well I shortly after broke down on verge of tears myself and went for a drive.  I thought to myself “why am I putting up with this??”   “There no way I can go through all of this kids teenage years dealing with this, being spoken to like this!”     

Can snyone gibe me some suggestions???   I’m really for the first time contemplating getting out of this situation. I know thst would mean essentially not having my wife or stepdaughter I’m my line pretty much at all anymore.  That really saddens and frightens me but I’m sooo hurt by all this.  Please help!!

Mike51772's picture

Correction!!  Thevosrt where I said earlier tonight my wife told my stepdaughter she’s unhappy at home, etc.     

That should say opposite.  My stepdaughter told my wife she’s unhappy at home and it my fault.  

shamds's picture

Her mum, she doesn’t get to make demands like that when she isn’t paying the home mortgage/rent or expenses for the home. She doesn’t demand you leave your home..

i married my husband when ss was 16.5 and knew ss since he was 15... he will be 21 in a few months and we still deal with teenage crap

Exjuliemccoy's picture

You and your wife need to commit to marriage counseling, STAT. This comes before anything else in your household.

If your wife isn't willing to commit to working on your relationship, cut your losses and get the Hell out of there. Steplife is just too hard without the staunch support of your partner.

Harry's picture

They can move.  You have to disengage from SD,  meaning no money for softball, no money for hotels and traveling to games. I know what traveling softball costs.  Gas, motels, food.  If SD does not appreciate what you are doing for her. She can move in with Bio father where she will be happy.

one thing I demand is respect 

but again this kid is dealing with a bio dad who threw her away.  Him not wanting to be part of her life.  I can’t fathom how that feels.  But your DW has to step in She the BM and deal better with her DD to have some peace and respect 

shamds's picture

Tell wife and sd bio dad can fork out money for softball. You are done financially contributing for a rude, disrespectful and ungrateful skid

tog redux's picture

Honestly, you are the only father she has, and some of this is just normal teen stuff. They tend to get into the "you aren't my father" stuff as teens, especially when the stepfather is the only disciplinarian in the house.  At some point, she will likely come to appreciate what you've done for her, but it will be around 10 years from now!  Your wife needs to take over the discipline and she needs to not allow SD to be rude to you.

It's mature of you to admit that you have been nasty to SD too, and that should be addressed openly (not as a way for her to get an excuse for her behavior).  As in, at some point, let her know you realize that was not OK and you are working on changing it.  You gain respect from teens by acknowledging your own bad behavior, and you lose it by telling them not to be disrespectful when you have acted the very same way.

I don't think you should leave, this sounds salvageable to me - I agree that marriage/family counseling might help you and DW communicate better and figure out how to parent SD in a way that doesn't allow her to split you two and make you the bad guy and her the good guy.

MrsStepMom's picture

How about how unhappy SD makes you in your own home. I get that kids are so priority bla bla but enough. Tell DW you need to go to marriage counseling. Anyone telling you they have never said something not wonderful to their step kid is lying out of their arsss!!!