You are here

SD13 into all things horror... creeps me out

SanityPlease's picture

Hello all,
New here, was not sure where to post. But from reading the topics in "Teenage Stepchildren"... this is where I need to be (and vent, bitch & moan)!

I can relate to most everyone... lack of hygiene, disrespect, DH’s lack of follow through with discipline and the crazy BM… SD13 has it all and I will be filling you in on my story as the days go on.

For right now my issue is SD13 obsession with all things horror. Creepy Pasta, Slenderman, Freddy Fazbear. If you don’t know what these things are, google them and you will learn that some of it is truly disturbing. The girl has watched Halloween hundreds of times (no exaggeration). She draws some pretty horrific things too.

Anyway, she used to be with me and DS2 and H full time, but BM pitched a fit when we moved in May and INSISTED she live with her to go to her crappy school that’s in her district. So she’s only here every other weekend (that’s the BRIGHT side)… but I can’t help but feel like I have to lock my bedroom door when I’m sleeping. This fascination of hers with the macabre creeps me out.

Question is… are these horror sites/games a common thing among teenagers? Am I just out of the loop??

AllySkoo's picture

Pretty common, yeah. When my SDs were in high school, one of them was in the "horror" scene - she and all her friends watched horror movies, read horror comic books, all that jazz. (The other 2 didn't get into it, it's not like ALL teens do, but it is a thing.) At 18 she got a tattoo of a zombie teddy bear. (*eye roll*)

As long as your SD hasn't shown any violent tendencies, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Drac0's picture

>Question is… are these horror sites/games a common thing among teenagers? Am I just out of the loop??<

Yes.

I was one of them.

Granted I am a guy but I know plenty of ladies who are into the genre. Many moved on to other things but I know two in particular who became successful free-lance writers and RPG game developers.

Creepy Pasta I consider as "bottom feeder" horror litterature but there are a few gems in there. My SS was actually into the whole Slender Man craze (until I pointed out to him that it isn't real).

Horror is just like any other theme out there. Romance, violence, politics, science-fiction, Fantasy, etc. They are just tools to tell a story and not all stories are everyone's cup of tea.

Try to think of it this way. Why do some people like roller coaster rides and some don't? It's the thrill. Some people enjoy the feeling and others don't because it makes them feel ill. That's all what horror movies/stories do. It provides a thrill.

SanityPlease's picture

There are times we would get argumentative because she actually BELIEVES things.

There was some story a few months past where during a certain time it was legal to kill, murder.. the name of what this was escapes me, but SHE BELIEVED IT! And we got into an argument over it… And she BELIEVES Slenderman is real..

The most evil thing this kid does with us is not showering or brushing her teeth for the three days she is with us (eww). Having to tell a 13 year old to shower (seriously??? 13?!?! SMH)…. Now THAT’S horror! Lol!!!!

So no, no violent actions. I get that people are into this genre … maybe my hopes would be for her to read Stephen King .. Not Creepy Pasta (thanks DracO… “bottom feeders” was my thought too)..

Thanks all for your input!

Drac0's picture

Gosh your SD seems gullible, but she should probably pick up a few books by Hawthorne, Melville or Poe and she'll quickly see that a lot of these stories that she believes to be true has its roots somewhere.

>There was some story a few months past where during a certain time it was legal to kill, murder.. the name of what this was escapes me, but SHE BELIEVED IT!<

"The Purge"
Total Fiction.

However, the plot element of "legalized killing" has its roots in history where the kings and queens of ancient times deemed it legal to kill anyone belonging to the "wrong" religion.

>And we got into an argument over it… And she BELIEVES Slenderman is real...<

slenderman, like most urban legends banks itself on the premise of something dark and sinister which transcends the generations because it hits the psyche. It's no different than the "hook man" legends or the "ghost hitch hiker" stories. They seem real, and they'll be people online who will claim that it actually happened to their brother's friend's cousin's aunt's ex-boyfriend's kid. But it's all fiction. Creepy? Yes but NOT. TRUE.

Boy, I would love to spend an afternoon with your SD. She'd probably hate me though.

SanityPlease's picture

The Purge! yes! that's it... thanks for refreshing my memory!

I like your thinking DracO, and I do believe she is somewhat gullible.

The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski although not horror, disturbed me. I read that when I was 10. Not great literature but the story of the Zodiac killer terrified me. TRUE. And Brett Easton Ellis's American Psycho (again, not technically horror) freaked. me. out. (the movie sucked).

"slenderman, like most urban legends banks itself on the premise of something dark and sinister which transcends the generations because it hits the psyche. It's no different than the "hook man" legends or the "ghost hitch hiker" stories."

And how! I live near a town that is "home of the melonheads"... urban legend for sure. Smile

SanityPlease's picture

Thanks RilkaGR... I will totally show her that...

I guess this is no different than when Ozzy Osborne’s “Suicide Solution” was used as a lawsuit…

“On January 12, 1986, a lawsuit against Osbourne was filed by the parents of John McCollum, a depressed teenager who committed suicide allegedly after listening to this song. The plaintiffs failed to prove that Osbourne had any responsibility for the teenager's death. Plaintiffs attorneys alleged that a line in the song stated "Why try?”

Totally OT… but kind of related to this…
The parents of my guy friend who lived next door to me FORBID him to listen to KISS, you know the whole… KNIGHTS IN SATANS SERVICE *eyeroll* (this is when I listened to ALBUMS… yes, I am dating myself, lol!) BUT! He was totally allowed to listen to Led Zepplin… yeah, guitarist Jimmy Page obsessed with the occult and Satanist Alister Crowley… isn’t it ironic?

SanityPlease's picture

OMG broken.lost! Smashing Pumpkins! "Gish" was my absolute favorite... saw them a couple of years ago.. they sucked, was VERY disappointed. Was at the Guns and Roses concert when they filmed the video for "Paridise City" ... literally almost got crushed to death. HORRIBLE. When I was 15 I was listening to Slayer... "Reign in Blood"... It freaked my mother out.

Soooooooo...... guess what SD13 is doing is normal....

Now if she'd only shower without being told... WTF...