You are here

Are all men pigs?

ferretmom's picture

First let me apologize to Rags and Msloane. I'm not talking about you all. I get so sick and tired of wading through filth in my house. I get it clean and bam 2 hrs later it looks like a pig sty. DH and sd are some of the dirtiest people I have ever seen. If I don't go right behind them picking up things will lay on the floor forever. I have a basket in the bathroom for wet towels but they drop them right on the floor. I feel like a full time maid in my own home. Yesterday DH says the house smelled musty, he was standing right in front of sd's room. I ask him to define musty and he like you know stinky. I could have brained him since I had just finished cleaning. I told him to stick his head in sd's room and take a big sniff. It reeks in there, I don't think she's ever changed the sheets. He got mad because I insulted his little baby. I won't say they're animals because that would be an insult to animals. When we moved from NC to TN I removed 8 large lawn bags of garbage from sd's room. I guess she hasn't changed and now H is getting just like her.

lynn2008's picture

I can emphathize. DH isn't as bad as SD was, but nonetheless he creates some big messes.

I had to laugh when you said SD's room stinks. So did mine. It made me sick to go in there.

I remember she wanted to have a friend sleep over. I asked her when the last time was that she washed her sheets - that she couldn't expect a guest to sleep in a dirty bed. She looked at me confounded and said, uh, I don't know. My guess is probably a year. And she wondered why she had zits?!

I wish I had some advice, but I tried everything and it didn't work.

SD has moved out! Happy days are here again!!

northernsiren's picture

FH is cleaner than I am for the most part, does laundry all the time, picks up, etc. I tend to be "cluttered". His only vices are not doing dishes (he works in a lab and constantly washes test tubes, beakers and stuff all day so he doesn't want to do it at home) and the bathroom, he doesn't get the grossness of it that I do. Small price to pay in my book....

I'm sorry you are living in filth, that sounds so gross!

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Dealing_with_Drama's picture

Nip it sister! I quit picking up after my husband, he is almost 33 year old. I told him that I am not his mother, I am his wife. This will only work if you both given 100%. What happened when I did that? Well today I am kicked up on the couch blogging to you- just as I was yesterday. My 2 days off from work and kids. My SS is 3 and he will now pick up him room by himself. He and my son want to keep their toys, because anything that was left out, I threw away! Good luck....I would rid her room of everything- wear a mask and gloves and tell her the Health Department shut her down! :sick:

"What you do to children; they will do to society." ~Karl Menninger

KeepsGettingBetter's picture

When I speak to BF and skids about picking up after themselves, he does lay down the rule with skids but as for him, well he says that he can do it and we both know that he can but when you have someone around that will do it for you, you tend to become lazy (BF words exactly), so with the advice of God love her Betwitched I stopped picking up after them. So when BF and skids realised that I won't be picking up there mess and there were no clean dishes to cook with or clean clothes to wear they weren't too happy.
I told them that I was sorry but I was too busy reading my book to clean up there mess, just like the skids were too busy playing video games and BF too busy waiting for me to do it for him.
They all do a little more to help out now, I've given them no choice.

Have you tried not to pick up there mess and just leave it and see what happens. It's very hard. I like a clean house so when it was untidy for the week of my retirement I found it very hard to turn a blind eye to it but I'm also glad I did.

smurfy1smile's picture

Mine BF puts wet towels on the bed, does not make the bed even though he was the last one out of it, does not rinse his dishes, won't wash dishes, leave his projects partly done (kitchen cupboard doors), leaves his dirty socks and clothes on the floor, at the end of the bed and the hamper is 3 feet or less away, does not dry off his electric toothbrush head so there is goo in the holder, does not throw away his pop/beer cans, never uses a bath mat do the bathroom floor is wet after he showers, takes a 20 plus minute shower part of which he spends laying in the bathtub doing nothing, does not feed or clean up after his cat...

It is worse than I thought!

ferretmom's picture

I went on strike a few weeks ago and he made an attempt at doing better but that didn't last. He can never find anything even when it's right in front of him. His solution is to tear the house apart rather than ask if I know where it is. I've given up any hope of sd ever trying to be clean and not just her room. If I say anything about it I'm being mean. I'm holding firm about my no cooking rule though. I caught her the other day getting ready to do something on the stove and I sprayed her with a fire extinguisher. They got mad but I'm not playing around when it comes to my kitchen. Right now my baking is my only source of income. I was supposed to start a new job this week but I got a call saying the company had started to lay off. My old boss has had me doing specialty baking jobs for him. He owns a nice family restaurant and funeral home so I'm constantly baking goodies for him. It may sound strange but when he has funeral services he likes to have a table with coffee, tea, and cookies for visitors. It's not much but it's a job. Just once I wish that I could sit H down and tell him how I feel and the things that bother me without him ranting and raving. No matter what I say he turns it into something about sd. Right now I could use a little tlc from him but I doubt I'll get it. My doctor's office called to remind me that it's that time again, I need to go have my biannual physical. I have to go every 6 mths because 2yrs ago he removed a mass from my right breast. Thank God it was benign but it still scares me. I had 4 aunts to die from breast cancer and 3 from complications attributed to it. My bm came from a family of 14 kids, 9 of them girls so I'm really not liking those odds. When I had the surgery H went in to the doctor's with me so he could talk to both of us about what was going to happen and H turned the whole visit into sd this and sd that. My doctor had never even seen her much less wanted to talk about her. After that I decided it was best if I go by myself and not tell him anything. I just realized how much I've been rambling, sorry about that. I guess I needed to blow off a little steam.

Endora's picture

That DH was messy-previous marriage EX was anal about tidy (former military/cop)-so at first messy was nice as I am somewhat in between , I like a clean home but tend to let some clutter pile up-THEN teen SS came full time and I learned what downright dirty was! I get DH to clean up after his son as he will not get SS to clean up after himself-DH gets a little annoyed but that is his problem.

This weekend DH is going to shovel out and clorox Zippy's (16 years old) room while Zippy plays Guitar Hero all day-going to be a fun weekend!

Step Parenting – you might need to step back before you step in something!

Tara12's picture

My FH is not a dirty bird (except I made him take the 2nd bathroom for his own and that toilet aaaqgh - and he has to clean it himself - gag!)or anything but he is a clutterer. For example he keeps every flippin receipt for everything and it winds up on top of any bare surface he can find along with newspaper articles (which he never reads), coupons (which he never uses) and tools and other general items he just leaves out he doesn't know how to put anything away. He will put his things in the hamper and hang the towels up and he actually does the dishes and puts them in the dishwasher - can't seem to get the hang of emptying it though. He actually changes the sheets on our bed once a week because we have this king size bed and it is too heavy for me to lift (one of those $4K memory beds aack) But every Sunday I clean house top to bottom and do laundry and let me tell you he exits stage right real quick cuz he always finds something to do in the garage or work on the car, truck, yard (which is funny because it's all desert landscaping hello)

ferretmom's picture

Mine is the king of procrastination, he puts everything off until tomorrow and tomorrow never comes. My mil gave me their riding mower because she was tired of seeing me mow the yard, it's almost and acre. He apparently thinks elves are going to come do it all while he's asleep. So just call me Mrs. Keebler. Biggrin

smurfy1smile's picture

Mine must be related to yours. Procrastination is his middle name and I know it will cause him nothing but grief during the custody evaluation process.

MSloan86's picture

I admit I can get a bit messy now and then but I also do a good deal of picking up around the house too. It does drive DW crazy when I leave laundry near the hamper and not in it. Im just not committed that it cant be worn again before it needs washing. Smile