You are here

Anyone Familiar with the “Mood stabilizing-medication” Abilify?

Tinasmith56's picture

It’s also known as aripiprazole I think. 

The reason I’m asking is SS13 needs to take this Medicine every evening to stabilize his moods. He goes over to Grandmas house every other weekend and Grandma is not the best about remembering to give him his medicine and SS Forgets to take it when he’s over there. Now my question is it’s only twice a month and just Friday and Saturday night he goes over so is it really a big deal if he misses those nights? 

I’m looking for either people Who work in the mental health field or people who have kids/family members who take this medication.

fourbrats's picture

the medication as directed. My husband is on several medications for mental health and this is something that doctors have drilled into our heads. And on the rare occasion that he misses a dose or two he is like a different person. It is important that the medication stay in your SS's system to allow it do to what it is meant to do. 

At 13 he should be able to handle this on his own and there are ways to remind him. A reminder on his phone (they also have apps), an alarm on a watch, a text message or phone call to remind Grandma  etc. My husband has an alarmed pill case as well as he also has a TBI and can be forgetful. If I am going to be gone I also leave a note on the fridge. 

tog redux's picture

Like any med, it’s best to take all doses. Lots of good suggestions from the poster above. 13 is young to remember, can someone remind grandma?

notsurehowtodeal's picture

Abilify has a "half-life" of 75 to 94 hours - which means it takes about 3 to 6 days for 50% of the drug to leave the body. So, if he is on a maintenance dose and doesn't take the drug for 2 days, more than 50% of the drug will stay in his system. So he should be ok as far as negative side effects if he only misses a couple of days.

That being said, everyone responds differently to psychiatric medicines. I have taken them and can miss a dose or two with few issues. I have a friend who takes Zoloft and if she misses one dose she feels it.

At 13 SS should be becoming responsible for his own medications. I agree with the idea of setting up some sort of a reminder on his phone. Can DH call SS and remind him?

Rags's picture

Meds are to be taken as directed.  I am a T-1 diabetic. If I don't take insulin as directed and as my blood glucose dictates I have near immediate consequences. I am also on a daily alergy medication. If I don't take it for a day or two it makes a difference.

With psych meds, I would think that consistency would be even more critical.

Dizzyjell's picture

For moods. Sk has autism and needs to take it but honestly it doesnt help sk's behavior. 

Pinkleton's picture

I used to take Abilify. If i missed a dose, I felt like shit and often I got a little extra moody or a little extra anxious. It doesnt have any serious withdrawal effects. Two nights a month.. is not going to hurt him. Its optimal to take it consistently but two nights a month is not going to make or break his treatment regimen

Bethany's picture

I prwscibe psych meds. Abilify needs to be taken daily and blood sugar, triglycerides and weight gain must be monitored. Abilify is in the class called atypical antipsychotics and all of these can cause metabolic syndrome (high blood pressure, increased weight and high blood sugar).