You are here

Acknowledging Gifts

bertieb's picture

So we have given DH's nieces and nephews gifts this year for weddings and new babies. None of them have ever sent a thank-you note or called. One gift was left at the wedding reception table and one was put in the couples car at a dinner party. Two others were mailed out of state. I can only assume all the gifts were received. Is this the way things are now? I've always made a point to let people know I appreciated what they sent me and the fact they thought about even doing so. My kids have been taught the same. One of my friends children got my cell number and sent a picture of the baby in an outfit I sent- which was wonderful and I don't want them mailing a "thank you" too, although they probably will. 

What has happened to manners and teaching them to your kids? SS and his wife didn't RSVP my son's wedding or send a card or anything.  Is DH's family the norm now? I don't think it's because I'm a stepmom in the family, we all have good relationships, it is just not really considered. 

dysfunctionally_blended's picture

Manners seem like a thing of the past sadly!

I have taught my kids that a thank you is always given, personally.  If the person is not there then they make a phone call to personally thank the giver. 

But that is for birthdays and holidays.

For big events such as graduation, wedding and baby showers a formal thank you card is what is expected.  

And always RSVP. No matter what!