You are here

O/T Plantar Fascitis--OUCH!!

thinkthrice's picture

A few years back, I got PF in my right foot. After about six months, it seemed to go away on its own. Fast forward to last year and we had a "walking challenge" which led to me getting PF in my LEFT foot. This bout seems much more severe. Has been hanging around since September of last year so I went to a reputable podiatrist.

I could kind of "feel" I had a heel spur in my left foot and sure enough the xrays confirmed it. He gave me a shot of cortisone in my left foot and gave me this stretchy foot boot that I have been wearing. He also told me to avoid going barefoot or going without supportive shoes. The pain moved from in the back arch of my foot to the heel itself which will give me a shooting pain for no reason it seems.

I have high arches and wide feet. So I was sitting at a luncheon today for an extended period of time (I usually don't sit for very long as it messes with my scoliosis) Anyway I could feel the same sort of pain on my RIGHT foot again.

Has anyone had this? My podiatrist says he only does surgery 1 out of 20 cases. It's been a week since the cortisone shot with zero difference. I have also tried acupuncture which helps a bit but not much.

This certainly is cramping my style as it feels as though you are walking barefoot over legos.


Aniki's picture

I have plantar fasciitis and do exercises. I cannot tolerate cortisone shots and wanted to alleviate the problem. The main stretching exercise I do is to stand on the balls of my feet on the lowest step, and slowly lower my heels to stretch.

Here are 2 sites with some exercises:

thinkthrice's picture

I also have the knobby wooden thing that I've used, some orthotics and do backward lunge stretches.

I've heard that diet can be problematic. Lately I've been having more sugar than normal and that is inflammatory.

thinkthrice's picture


AshMar654's picture

I have had this since college in both feet, way worse in my right foot. Anyway, I did physical therapy when I as in college over the shot. Yeah it was a pain scheduling and going but it worked miracles on my foot. After that I wear shoes with good arch support because I too have really high arches but narrow feet.

It will flare up when I wear flip flops too much or flats. I never wear much of anything with a heal anymore. Wear really supportive shoes, mainly sneakers or boots that you can put a good insole in. Also take a plastic water bottle, smooth one, freeze it. After it is completely frozen step on it and role it back and forth under your foot. Do this every day for, here is a link

If it is that bad ask the doc about physical therapy to really get it fixed and upkeep after that. I so feel for you, I got to a point I could not walk, I let it go that bad.

Tuff Noogies's picture

-itis is anything that is inflamed or pissed off for any variety of reasons. the plantar fascia is the ligament that stretches from your heel to your toes. it's pissed. it tends to get pissed for people with high arches, or those that sit for extended periods of time or people who wear heels a lot. stretching this ligament is the best thing you can do, and there are lots of exercises you can find online (most achilles stretches by default also stretch the plantar fascia.)

you may consider asking the doc for heel cups or arch supports. elevating your foot when it is aggravated helps, as can a soak in epsom salt and warm water. an OTC anti-inflammatory can help some folks. but there is not much that surgery can do for an inflamed tendon.

just my 2 cents. hope you get to feeling better.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

I've had my own odyssey with PF. Had it in both of my wide feet.

I wasted five years going to a podiatrist recommended to me. He seemed to have a thriving practice of mainly elderly patients, but all he ever did was give me cortisone injections that masked the pain.

I experimented with things like heel cups and chiropractic adjustment to help my posture, but it wasn't until I moved and saw a new podiatrist that I found out the cause of the problem (low/fallen arches & pronated ankles). I now use corrective insoles and spend a bit more to buy sandals designed to help my particular problem. I also had a bone spur in my heel, but was told they usually dissolve with time.

blueorblackink's picture

I am a shoe store manager.

Addidas, Asics and Reebok have good arch support. New Balance are the most highly reccommended shoes by podiatrists, the insoles are removable.

You can buy inserts for your shoes specifically for Plantar Fascitis.

I would honestly say avoid flat soled shoes unless you can use an insert. Also you really want to aviod memory foam. It is comfortable but it will not help PF at all. With summer coming Nike, Sketchers and New Balance all make flip flops with arch support. I would get a pair to wear around the house that way you always have support and your feet have time to recover.

ntm's picture

I had it for four years in one foot followed by four years in my other foot. My recommendation is to see a sports orthopedist who specializes in feet. Sadly in my experience most podiatrists are fairly useless for this condition. I used to be a nationally ranked sub-masters runner. I have now switched to being a slow triathlete because my feet just can't handle the pounding. But since I'm active in sports, I know a zillion people who have suffered from this. There is no single cure. Everyone has their own story. I tried EVERYTHING. What worked for both Derek Jeter and me (at approximately the same time) was to actually end up tearing the fascia. That broke up all the adhesions and the tendon healed up and we both said it was the best thing we had done.

Good luck finding your unique cure. Hope it won't have to be as drastic as mine.

Acratopotes's picture

dang thought you are on the brink off death with that name lol... had to search it

My Dad had the same problem, he changed his shoes and it was gone with in a month... he also drank some inflammatory pills