You are here

Teenage SS and Disrespectful Husband

tallmom67's picture

It’s been a rollercoaster living with a teenage SS and a disengaged Father of the SS.  I helped my husband to gain custody of his son two years ago and just one month ago modify the custody to sole legal and no visitation as the Mother went back to the drugs.  I was left with cleaning up the mess of both parents and had to homeschool him as I do my bio daughter age 9.  My SS couldn’t survive in a regular school as he needed more one on one and it has helped some but he continues to fall asleep at the computer not get up on time and not make the effort to pass his classes.  I have had to babysit this 15 year old.  Well the straw broke a week ago with this rollercoaster behavior as he would do good and then fall back to his old habits.  His Father never graduated HS and is not much of a supporter of education or much else.  We have been married 3 years and it’s been mostly bad mojo due to my husband’s son and crazy ex a constant interference the honeymoon was over quick,  I resigned as my SS learning coach and he is forced to go back to a traditional school in January.  I am disrespected by my SS and husband.  Just a few days ago I caught my SS asleep at my computer again so I took a picture and texted it to his Father.  On Wednesday I went into my SS room and he was still asleep at almost 10 am his excuse I didn’t have an alarm as I took his phone away for the sleeping incident at my computer. He has a plug in alarm next to his bed that has an obnoxious alarm.  He asked why am I yelling at him seriously.  So I called his Father and his Father said have him pull weeds.  I related  the message to his son.  This is the week of finals so I tried to take the laptop and we had a stand off so bad and was  I was close to calling the police not for any physical abuse but his truant behavior with school.   I got his dad on speaker and what does my ever so stupid husband do?  He says on speaker “well if he has schoolwork to do”, that was a kick in the gut.  Of course the kid has work to do he can’t choose when he wants to go to school that was the point of him pulling weeds.  I never felt so disrespected or belittled from my husband’s actions he is so clueless on child rearing.  Our marriage has been rocky from the start he just dimmed the lights of the future even more.  I have been so dedicated to giving my SS a good Mother figure to the point that I am drowning as well as my marriage.  He can be a good kid but I cannot handle his defiance.  I have a 24 year son and an 18 and 9 year old daughter the oldest and youngest live with us so my teenage SS is not my first rodeo I get the hormone and puberty issues but I will be damned if I am going to stand by and be walked on or humiliated by him or my husband.  It has resulted in the usual silent treatment and sleeping in different rooms as my husband will not man up and accept responsibility of his actions.  I love my husband but I cannot handle his ways it so unhealthy and my 9 year old sees this as he ignores her when we are not speaking.  Happy flipin holidays he has a knack for destroying most of them.  As for my SS I can’t stand to be in the same room with him as he never apologized he got his phone back of course his father gave in as usual.  I am burnt out on this blended family BS.  I can’t afford to leave just yet I feel stuck. 

SteppedOut's picture

Is the only thing keeping you there finances? How did you survive on your own prior to your marriage to your husband? I can only assume you used to work?

I think you would feel a lot better about your situation if you went back to work. Perhaps you would feel like you had more control - not saying you should leave, but just knowing you can if necessary. Feeling "trapped" is a horrible thing. 

tallmom67's picture

I own my own business as a tax preparer and I’m on my off season I run my husband’s company and he has no clue how to build his business nor has the desire to do so.  We are financially drowning due to his poor financial decisions over this last year.  I am building my business as we speak as I am new to the area so it takes time.  I was a single mom for 20 years so I am more than capable we just have a lot of debt so I am working to get that under control.  I have stepped back almost completely from my SS.  Thank you for the support it’s a tough job being in this blended family 

dysfunctionally_blended's picture

Why do you have to babysit skid? He has 2 parents. They may not be ideal but that was the card he was dealt. I would step back and completely disengage. Let his father handle him, including schooling.

The only time you should step in is if his behavior affects you or your bios. Correct the behavior then walk away again. 

Sadly you have a DH problem. He is not parenting his child. He is blaming you for not parenting his child. And he has put your relationship last. That is where your effort should go - your marriage (if you want to fix it). 

Rags's picture

What is the appeal of continuing to wallow in this shallow and polluted gene pool?

Give yourself and  your own children a holiday gift. Call a locksmith to rekey the locks and put this failed waste of parental skin and his toxic crotch dropping on the curb.

Take care of you and  yours.

Good luck.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

It sounds as if you married beneath you and are experiencing the consequences of attaching yourself to an ignorant, trashy non-parent.

Home schooling can be a terrific option for some, but unless you're independently wealthy, it's preventing you from making your own income and being independent. Your H currently holds all the power in your marriage, while you are just the governess. This is a bad situation for your kids and for you. Enroll your daughter in traditional school, get back into the workforce, and plan an exit strategy so you can extricate your family from this toxic mire.

tallmom67's picture

I have my own business, I am a tax preparer and I am at the end of my off-season.  I am new to the area and trying to build my business as quick as possible.  I also run my husbands business, but he has no sense about how to run a business and build any new business.  We had a bad business year with his business, and now we are in such debt.  He has made poor financial decisions that has practically put us in the poor house.  Recovery of that is just around the corner.  As for my daughter she thrives in homeschool, and me working from home makes that possible.  My SS and husband are the serious issues in our lives and always have been.  I am at the end of my rope with this situation, and I busting my butt to gain financial control again, and I will.  I was a single mom for 20 years prior to this marriage, and very capable of having my own business as it was quite successful until I got married moved to another state and took on the BS I should have never.  I have a huge heart and have always try to take care of everyone, because my husband is minimal.  Thank you for your support.

tallmom67's picture

Update on my disrespectful husband and SS.  Well it’s day 5 and my husband is still giving me the silent treatment as if he and his son is the victim.  I have tried communicating with him via text and no response.  Every text became rageful at times as it’s so hard to swallow my husband disengaging from me as well as my youngest girl 9 as that is his go to every time we get in a fight.  I told him he was putting our relationship last and our marriage in the dump.  Christmas is a week away and I don’t want my little girl to be under the stigma in this house that my husband continues to choose.  He is acting very selfish and putting his needs of being self righteous over the family and me.  I don’t know how to handle this holiday under these circumstances.  All my husband had to do was apologize and it would not have escalated to this level but his silence says I was wrong for how I handled his son.  But this kid needed to suffer the consequences of his actions as his dad never follows through or dishes out any of it.  My husband is a man child and rather stick his head in the sand than deal at the expense of our marriage.  I am seeking counseling for myself this week as I need it.  This is the worst holiday season I have ever experienced.  I know what I have to do for future it’s the present that’s an issue as my home is divided and stressfully tense when he is home. 

tallmom67's picture

I just saw my SS walk out the front door as I have the Ring camera so I called him to see what is going on and he said he could not sleep he has a lot on his mind I didn’t push I just said to be safe.  In spite of everything that has happened I do still care but I am afraid to get too involved and it backfire again.  He has had suicidal houghts when he came to live with us two years ago as his BM really did some damage to his mental health we got him into counseling and at 13 then  and he was fine on the surface.  I still believe that is still the case.  He has been going out if his way since the explosion last week thanking me for making dinner doing his chores voluntarily.  Yet his Father makes no moves towards our relationship to try and fix the mess he created with me as a result of his sons behavior.  I hear the hurt and fear in my SS voice and face.  None of my husband’s two children the other a dtr 22 and lives in Hawaii, feel they can ever talk to him about things growing up.  He continues this toxic path in dealing with his children. I know my SS feels responsible for the fight between me and my husband but I cannot force my husband to break his silence.  He is so out of touch with reality.  I don’t want to continue to show more  care for my SS than his bio parents but I can’t ignore  it either so I texted him offered to talk with him tomorrow and that everything will be fine.  In the past he has made comments when his father re in acts the game of silence.  By saying my Dad is being childish by not talking to you.   It’s sad to hear.  but I can only control my actions and no one else.  I see and hear the regret of choices he made and how far he pushed the defiance with me  but it’s not his fault for his fathers choice to handle things in such an adverse way.  He is in fear of losing the only stable mother figure he has ever had.  My husband has got to get a reality check on how his actions are affecting this entire family.  I won’t hold my breath he is stubborn in such an unhealthy way and will not take ownership of his bad choices.  All I can do is pray.  I’m going to talk to my SS as the air must be cleared between us he is a kid that should not have the burden of such things especially the relationship between me and his father.  SS has displayed today of being more of a man than his father.   Feedback would be very much appreciated.  

Rags's picture

So call him out publically on the "Game of Silence" and ask him when he is going to grow up.  In front of the kids and anyone else that you think may make an impression on the man-child.

smh.

Good luck.

Melody2019's picture

Hey,

any update on how things went? I hope you’re alright.