You are here

Step Kids are slobs

emmy70's picture

So I'll try to keep this short-can't be sweet...I have been married for 5 years, two children of my own (am widowed)-both grown and out of the house at this point-both were in HS when we married.  Two young adult step children from DH first marriage 26 boy, 23 girl, two children 15, 13 (7,9 when married) that we have eowe situation.  Fast forward 4 years, older step kids have this guilting, manipulating relationship with their Dad.  Younger kids have BM that has ADHD, switches jobs every year or so with long bouts of unemployment inbetween, lies and wrings my husband out for more money whenever she can "for the girls", and doesn't parent-the kids can do no wrong, their house is disgusting because there are no enforced rules there (example-dog was never potty trained so just poops and pees throughout house), they can never find anything, don't take care of things, so they just buy more.  It is very disfunctional.

So at our house (which was my house before we married) we buy quality things and then take care of them, thus don't need to replace things super often.  We take our shoes off at the door or at least don't walk on the carpet with them, clean on a regular basis, do dishes after every meal, etc.  We have a comfortable, tidy home-not over the top spotless, but the roomba runs every day, bathrooms get cleaned every other week, etc.  I want the kids to respect our way of doing things when they come here.  I am having a hard time getting buy in from my husband because he doesn't want to be nagging the kids all the time, etc.  For context-his house was messy and not maintained and he isn't a clean-as-he goes guy.  We have managed this pretty well in our house, because it is large and he has his own personal space that he can treat as he wishes, but our common space he keeps neat, he does the dishes after I make dinner, etc.  We discussed this as a potential difference in our ways of living and he agreed that my way of maintaining things, and generally upkeeping was better and agreed to do it...which HE (generally) does.  He just doesn't inforce if with his kids...who leave dirty socks around the house, don't clean up their dirty dishes, when they open a cough drop will drop the wrapper on the floor instead of use the waste basket, don't put anything back-just leave it lie where they finished using it.  How do I get this stuff done without being the one to constantly be nagging?  I have started asking him to pick it up, figuring if he isn't willing to change the kids behavior it can be his mess to deal with.

The car is the worst as its so hard to clean...We recently took a trip and use my car because it is larger and fits everyone.  I have learned that they can't eat in the car on road trips...I end up with a mess that I alone clean up time and again.  This trip my husband wanted to get where we were going fast so was repeatedly asking me if we could eat in the car and get back on the road, to which the 15 year old joined in.  I stood my ground and we ate in the restaurant but the 15 year old wouldn't let it go and kept asking why we couldn't eat in the car.  He didn't answer her, just said we weren't going to.

Has anyone else dealt with this different house different rules things???  Any insight as to how to deal with it?

lieutenant_dad's picture

Just keep making your DH clean up their messes. He is the one who agreed to clean, so clean is what he'll do. If he's fine with cleaning the house to the standard you mutually agreed to, then let him. He'll either get tired of it and make them do it, or he'll do it and it gets done.

advice.only2's picture

In that instance I would have responded since your DH had gone mute and told the 16 year old "we aren't eating in the car because you don't clean up after yourselves, and I don't want to clean up your messes." It's not being rude or hurtful to them, just letting them know the truth.

Lizzylemon's picture

I have the same issue with homeless looking feral child sd9 and my dh. I have house rules stating that we only eat in the kitchen and absolutly no eating in the car. If sd9 leaves anything in the common areas or anything on the floor in her room it gets thrown away. I've tossed two of her phones that came from the other household as well as clothes, shoes, toys, etc. when she asks about an item I just shrug and say maybe she left it at the other house then change the subject. I have ocd and cannot put up with messiness. I'm on the extreme end but it works! Slowly she learned that she cannot leave anything lying around. I pick up after dh because he gives me lots of gratitude for doing that but I'm not doing it with a child. I also don't allow gum or anything messy in my house and go through her room frequently to trash anything I deem "messy" when she is not here under the guise of I have to vacuum her room and need things picked up. I works for me so perhaps do something like this and see if it helps. 

Mky0005's picture

I started doing this too I will throw stuff away that my 14-year-old stepdaughter leaves out. I'm over it. I've told her 1 million times to put her stuff away. She knows I'll throw it away too. I do not feel bad. She's got to grow up. She's going to have a hard time as an adult.

emmy70's picture

So as my now 15 year old started her period a year ago, she was terrible about cleaning up after herself in that department.  Leave3s pads on her dirty underwear on the floor, in laundry etc...The bathroom they use is also a guest room bathroom and she literally tossed used fem products under the vanity onto the clean towels because SS had taken the trashcan out of the bathroom and not returned it (no surprise here=nobody puts anythiing back where it goes).  I discovered this situation when putting away clean towels.  I was mortified to think of guests coming to my home and getting out a new towel and discovering this crazy gross situation...Their standards are so far away from mine I just don't even know what to do about it. 

I am just uneasy with them here anymore.  Who knows what they are going to do because it is so far from what I can imagine doing.  It is like they need to be re-taught basic living from the ground up, but we only have them a few days a month.  I don't know if this is a good or bad thing frankly...

SteppedOut's picture

I hope you made your husband clean that nasty mess! Gross! I just can't even imagine that thought process. That is over the top disgusting! 

Lizzylemon's picture

Ewww to the used feminine products. Omg this is so unsanitary for you. I suggest calling the skids out on their feral actions as soon as you notice a feral action has occurred. When I am forced to do this I am loud enough for the whole house to hear me and I tell them how disgusting said feral action is and that this is not how we do things in this household. I then tell them what is the correct way to do said action in this household. Because I make this an uncomfortable experience for the occupants of the household they typically stop said feral action immediately or I repeat it until they do. You are the ruler of this household and the skids are you subjects while in your household. You need to get your subjects to obey the house rules even if you have to be frank and harsh about it. Dh and I also see a counselor to help us with skid issues as an objective 3rd party. You can do this! 

emmy70's picture

I did indeed talk with her about it right then and there.  I was polite but obviously mortified and I am sure it showed.  She acted like I was over reacting, but I am sure she got the point, as did DH.  When she gave the excuse of no trashcan in the bathroom, I said "and so you decided to put it on the clean towels inside the vanity instead of the trashcan a few steps outside the bathroom doorway, or any other trashcan in the house?"  I told her that was unacceptable.  Trash goes in the trash, especially that type of trash.  It's just crazy.  Feral is a good word for it.

Rags's picture

Don't nag.  Confront.

"Stop right there. Get your ass back here and pick up the cough drop wrapper you just purposely dropped on the floor."

Lather, rinse, repeat on every thing they mess up.

No tolerance, no quarter.

emmy70's picture

I don't have an issue doing this with minor skids, but it seems harder with adult skids when they are visiting.  Example:  SD is making herself coffee in morning, spills ground coffee on the floor.  Says "oh shoot", kicks most of it under the edge of the cabinet and considers the situation handled.  I watch this and am in a delema-say nothing and clean up after her or introduce her to broom.  I got the broom out and handed it to her politely.

The thing is I'm not always around, so if I hadn't have happened to be in the kitchen and see this, I would have just found the coffee on the floor...this is what happens most of the time.  The house just gets really dirty really fast when they are here and it isn't on anyone elses radar because their standard of living is so much dirtier than mine.  Coffee grounds on the floor, wet dirty towels on the carpeting, dirty dishes in the sink or left on the table, mess on the counter tops, coffee spills on the carpet, wrappers on the floor, spills in the car...all is normal to how they live.

I literally just replaced my upstairs carpeting because there was a big new "mystery" stain at the head of the stairs. When I tried to clean it there was a ton of leftover soap/cleaner on it that took a half hour to get out of the carpet with the spot cleaner.  This was not a stain that no one knew about, it was a spill of probably coffee (which I have asked they use travel mugs if going to go around the house with it) and then someone unaccustom to cleaning carpet tried to clean.  Of course "no one knew anything about it"...I just have a 8" stain surrounded by super clean/some of the dye removed from the wrong kind of cleaner, carpeting at the top of the stairs.  I couldn't unsee it everytime I went up the stairs, so I replaced the carpet.  Now I have asked that everyone not wear shoes on the new carpeting and that is a struggle.  My DH has an issue with removing his shoes...wears hiking boots on new carpet because he "forgets".

Thanks for listening everyone.  It helps.  I think I am just going to get more direct and less yielding.  As you all have said, it is my house and I have a right to have those that come here to follow the rules.  I can't imagine visitng someone house and not taking my shoes off if they requested it.  That is so disrespectful.

Rags's picture

I completely understand.  My IL clan are all basically pigs. They live like pigs and get all bent out of shape when my wife and I refuse to tolerate it.

Getting more direct is really your only option IMHO.  Good luck with that but stay the course.

One thing we have done is minimize carpet in our home.  We have only the MBR and the guest room to go and our home will be carpet free. That way when they visit we just hand them a mop when they do their usual crap.

It is most infuriating when we visit them.  They are big on family pot/luck type events to contain cost.  For us to make the dishes we like to make I have to go through my IL's kitchen in a HazMat suit and spend hours cleaning and disinfecting before we can do any food prep.  I gag in my mask more times than I can count when I have to do that.  I finally refused to participate and started catering these events and renting the conference room in the hotel we stay at when we visit my IL clan.  I refuse to stay with any of them due to the toxic waste dump lifestyle they all choose to live.  This has been going on for decades.  Carpet should be illegal for these people.  Bare concrete is the best bet for flooring in their homes.  I will only stay for an hour or two at a time then I have to get out.i

There is a reason why we have never lived within 1200 miles of any of them.

emmy70's picture

My IL house is very clean, as is DH sisters and brothers...So I don't know where they get this from except BM.  Perhaps DH lived with her too long and picked up some of these habits.  I point out that no one has an issue respecting MIL's clean house, so I don't accept them not respecting my wanting my house clean too.  Can't imagine SD not sweeping up coffee grounds at grandmas or walking around the house spilling coffee.  Everyone leaves their food and drink in the kitchen area without it ever being discussed.  They are respectful of her house, I just want the same treatment.  DH doesn't have a lot to say about it...Think he knows I am right.

Anyways, thanks for listening.  I will indeed stay the course. Smile

Winterglow's picture

FWIW, I'm a slob (OK, a slob that's worked in hotel and catering so not a "dirty" slob) and I'd run screaming from most of what you've described. There is a huge difference between not caring about tidiness and living in filth.

Mky0005's picture

OMG yes. Why do kids disrespect house cleanliness so bad? Some days I feel like I'm gonna lose my freaking mind.