You are here

Skipping School

Tey860's picture

Quick question-SD13 skipped school today with her friend. Usually if she misses school she gets a note from us to excuse her absence. Obviously this is an unexcused absence since she skipped. I'm thinking she will write herself a note. Would you call the school and give them a heads up that today was unexcused and if she brings a note in it is not from us? I'm just so tired of her getting away with everything. She plays on the basketball team and if you have an unexcused absence you are suspended from the team for a week. I think she needs to have a wake up call. She seems to think there are no consequences for her bad behavior. Daddy lets her get away with everything, but I think it's time for the evil stepmonster to step in.

Willow2010's picture

I don't think you have a choice in the matter if Daddy sends a note saying she is excused.

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

Based on everything else your SD has been doing, and if it were my SD, HELL YEAH I'd be calling the school! Now, I don't know what the truancy laws are in your area, but if I knew where she were, I would report it to the local cops to go pick her up and drag her happy butt back to the school!

Tey860's picture

Ok good! I am definitely going to call in the morning because I am sure she will forge a note.

Shame you can't have her picked up...as a concerned citizen...LOL. I know our local PD takes pride in dragging truants back up to the school...it is like a highlight to their day! But I live in a really small town, so the PD doesn't really have anything better to do.

Tey860's picture

Next time, which I'm sure there will be a next time, I will do that. I'm sick of waiting for her father to take action. What really gets me is when she wanted to move back in DH promised me that things would be different this time, that he wouldnt let ANYTHING slide and he was going to lay down the law....hmmm WTH happened?

Maybe she needs to get picked up for truancy to wake up DH! If the cops start getting involved in SD's behavior, DH will be held accountable for it! HE will have to take the time off of work to appear before a judge and explain why his daughter is basically running the streets! Either he will start to do something, or SD will end up at her mother's. Either way, it is a win for you!

Tey860's picture

True!

thinkthrice's picture

I'm glad the school district actually has boundaries on grades/attendance as it relates to extra curricular activities. Over my way, SD15 is enrolled in ALL the extracurricular activities even though she gets grades like 6 out of 100, MASSIVE amounts of zeroes (nothing turned in) and constantly skips school.

Tey860's picture

Yeah they are really on top of it. She got an F in Spanish and she is suspended from the team for a month.

DarkStar's picture

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!

Then post and give us an update. I childishly RELISH each time sneaky SD15 gets busted.

Tey860's picture

Just to give you a little update-apparently SD13 told dear daddy that her teacher told them school was cancelled before they left....Since her friend also chimed in, I guess he believed her! MAKES ME SICK. So she hasn't been home since she snuck out Friday night....almost a full week. He says he has spoken to her and if she wants to stay there she can...until they get sick of her. I mean don't get me wrong I am LOVING the fact that she hasn't been home. But it's the fact that she ran away when she was punished and that has not been dealt with at all.

Obviously, the friend is up to no good, as well. I don't know of any real parents who wouldn't have sent the child home by now!

Tey860's picture

Yeah it really makes you think, sleepovers on a school night??? Well she's back tonight, woohoo I'm jumping for joy. Ugh. I'm still in shock thAt she was not punished for sneaking out. Unreal!

jumanji's picture

I've been in the position of having a friend stay for an extended time (during school periods) and had my daughter do the same. BUT it has always included a discussion with the other parents to make sure they ere on board, and with everyone's understanding (kids and parents) that it was not a free-for-all. Homework/studying was going to be done, as ere chores - and that I expected the visiting child to pitch in. (In my house, anyway! And a pox on my child if she thought she could get away with stuff elsewhere!)

Not so much a sleepover on a school night. My son has stayed at his friend's if they were studying for exams or working on a project. However, it was NEVER a case where we didn't communicate with the parents to make sure it was okay and such. I would NEVER have one of my son's friends over for more than one evening without contacting their parents and making sure it is okay...that they know where there kid is.

Not so much a sleepover on a school night. My son has stayed at his friend's if they were studying for exams or working on a project. However, it was NEVER a case where we didn't communicate with the parents to make sure it was okay and such. I would NEVER have one of my son's friends over for more than one evening without contacting their parents and making sure it is okay...that they know where there kid is.

Tey860's picture

Seriously! I would not have my child's friend over for nearly a week without communicating with their parents! That's crazy. But you know they probably are looking at DH like what the heck is this guy's problem? He's never met us, yet his kid is here nearly every day. Ugh he has no clue how bad he looks right now. Last night I decided that I am completely removing myself from the equation. I will no longer demand punishment for her INSANE rule breaking, why should I care if he doesn't?? I will just wait for this to blow up in his face, sit back and laugh.

Tey860's picture

Dad doesn't speak to the parents period! He has met the stepfather once, when he first brought her over there which was months ago. I'm sure her parents must think he is a total idiot.

Oh, they probably think more than that! I could just imagine the stories she is telling them to let her stay there all the time. She is probably playing total victim over there. That is the ONLY reason (outside of the other parents being more of idiots about parenting that DH) that they put up with SD over there.

Tey860's picture

EXACTLY!!!!! She stayed there for almost a complete week....you cant tell me she isn't laying it on thick over there! I told him that she probably has told them all kinds of stories. I have also told him to make an appearance regularly so they can see he at least somewhat gives a crap about his kid and where she is hanging out. But of course I can't tell him anything.

jumanji's picture

If he's going to be a craptastic parent... And that is what he is, at this point.

hodgepodge's picture

I have a SD17 and I also relish the thought of karma catching up with her. I have never seen a child be able to convince her BM and BF that nothing is her fault as much as she can. They both enable her bad behavior by getting her out of everything. SD17 is always the victim. But then again BM and BF enable her by making all kinds of excuses for her bad behavior. I just hope I am around when karma finds all 3 of them.