You are here

SD5 Driving me crazy

Tey860's picture

To give a little history, SO and I have a newborn baby together and he has a 5 year old daughter that is here 3 nights a week. I moved in during the fall while I was pregnant. SD5 has always had to be the center of attention, but now that the baby is here she is ridiculous. I literally cannot deal with her. If I am holding the baby she will try to curl up on the other side of my lap and tries to wrap my arm around her. It's ridiculous. She tries to monopolize every second of my time. SO has been spending extra time with her but it's not enough, she has to have every free second of my time. I was trying to talk to SO's mother today and SD literally interrupted our conversation to ask if I remembered something funny that happened yesterday...again RIDICULOUS! She has to be touching me at all times. If we are sitting down and I get up she is right under me holding my hand. The baby spit up on me and I went to change my shirt , SD stood outside my door whining asking how long it was going to take! It strikes me as unhealthy and almost an obsession. She doesn't act this way with her father. I spend at least 45 min to an hour playing with her every night she is here but it's never enough. I am exhausted and I really dread the days that she's here. I guess I'm looking for suggestions on how to get some space. 

JRI's picture

Has he noticed the clingy behavior?  What does he say?  I understand that a 5yo might feel insecure about a new baby.  But, she's not too young to hear, "Leave Tey860 alone for awhile".  That's dad's job, to notice and correct.

JRI's picture

I forgot to say that your DH should be molding her into someone people want to be around.  Good luck, Tey.

Rags's picture

I am six and 8 years the elder to my brothers thugh my youngest brother passed away 48 years ago.  When they brought my eldest brother home mom and dad made it clear that I was the big brother and it was up to me to help care for him, play with him, and realize that I had already had my turn at his age and that I would not be allowed to interfere in his turn to be a baby, etc, etc, etc...

Neither would he be allowed to interfere in my being the age I was at that time and going forward.

A message that your SD needs, repeatedly, firmly, and without tolerance for the manipulative attention grabbing crap.

SD is about the same age I was when my brother was born.  Give her the message and enforce that message.

tog redux's picture

Well, you only moved in less than 6 months ago, and there is already a new baby. You can't blame SD for feeling a bit nervous that she's being displaced in her father's life.  She was just getting to know you, and now there is a baby occupying your attention.

Have her help you with the baby (ie, fetching stuff for him/her), and make sure you and SO both reassure her that she's an important part of the family. Then set limits and ask her to give you space as needed.

Vr2010's picture

I am going through this also. Because of how needy his child is i end up taking care of our baby alone when he is home and when he's at work she's up my butt the whole time constantly wanting or needing something. I cant even go to the bathroom without her right outside the door.