You are here

Relationship over.

HopeFalls's picture

Just venting. I'm so frustrated and angry. I have two step kids, SD156 and SS16. Both were angels (sort of) until they reached their teen years. Their father is a deadbeat and I have supported them and their mother financially for the better part of the last 8 years. Last year SD15 attempted suicide over her boyfriend, we found numerous sexually explicit letters and photos in her room. We were estranged for a couple of months because we did not condone her relationship with her then boyfriend, she lives with her father now. She has recently been visiting us again and things were going ok. I was asked by SD yesterday if her 2 friends could come over and I said that was fine as they are all girls. Only to find out later in the day that her new boyfriend was also there and that her mother had said it was ok. All unsupervised as we are at work all day. I wouldn't have found out he was there if he hadn't accidentally called me to get a code to get out of the property, poor kid (he is a good kid but having them there together unsupervised... hell no!). When I confronted my partner about it she said she basically doesn't care what I say as she made the decision and that I needed to get over it. Having unsupervised teenaged boys in my house is not something I am comfortable with especially after what SD did last year. I've just had it. To top it all off the SS has also been diagnosed with depression and after months of suicidal thoughts etc I told my partner that I wasn't comfortable leaving him on his own and that he was to stay with his father when we weren't home. That lasted for a week. He got sick and she let him stay home alone for an entire day regardless of my concerns. My relationship is in tatters. I wonder if it ever was whole or if I just imagined that it was. I don't recognize my partner anymore. I want out but they rely on me financially. We have been fighting non-stop and there has been no intimacy for months. My partner doesn't see any fault in her behaviour and cannot discuss anything with me rationally. I feel like I am just the atm and transport for them.

I realize the reason for the state of the relationship is not the step kids fault but my partner's lack of parenting and my lack of setting clear boundaries. I'm in this mess now, I put myself here but now I can't see a way out or even through. I don't think we can fix this.

HopeFalls's picture

Thank you. For me small steps will have to do for now as I am feeling very broken and fragile (maybe a little sorry for myself also).

HopeFalls's picture

I thought so too... yes I know the answer I need to get myself out of this. It's just hard. I guess I've known since I joined here that this relationship was doomed.

HopeFalls's picture

I love your advice Sally, it's everything I think but am too scared to actually do. My partner made the choice to make me the second option and I just cannot allow that anymore I deserve more in my life. Being lied to is the one thing I cannot stand. They got caught out and now are making me feel like I'm the bad guy. Enough. I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and start doing things for myself and for my future.

Rags's picture

It is time to give your DW clarity that YOUR rules apply. I would look at shoring up your finances, moving money to protect it, and get ready to implement your exit strategy. Depending on how your home ownership is structured there is no need to move out of your home. She and her spawn can leave if it comes to that.

I understand that you are the meal ticket and that DW and her spawn depend on you. However, there are consequences for inappropriate behavior and both your DW and her spawn need to feel the conseqeunces.

Take care of you.

HopeFalls's picture

Luckily the finances aren't that hard to separate. I do need to let go of my guilt over it though and she plays on that as well. I have a lot of self work to do. I agree they do need to feel the consequences, at this point though I doubt it would make me stay even if they said sorry or whatever.

HopeFalls's picture

Last night we tried talking about this but it just ended up her screaming at me and us getting nowhere constructive. Even whilst we were arguing her daughter called and said she must look at her messages, I assumed it was an emergency, it wasn't but she chose to text with her daughter for the next 20 minutes despite me saying we need to finish our conversation. So what more proof do I need.

HopeFalls's picture

Thank you I've just been reading and will be reading throughout today. I also found a really cool blog, which you guys probably know but thought I'd share anyway -

http://csmchat.weebly.com/did-you-know.html

When she said to me I knew she had children when I met her I didn't have words for how that made me feel so I've been reading about it today.