You are here

No sex in my house

ccoyle04's picture

Ok, I really need some advice. 13 yo SD has been living full time at our house since June 2007. About 4 months ago, we had the sex talk. She asked, I told her. Anyway, ever since then, anytime my husband and I flirt with each other, or act a little frisky (which to me is fun) she gets all "grossed out" goes ewwwwww and gets really cranky. Our house is very small, and her bedroom is very close to ours. We heat our house with a woodstove, so all the doors are usually open. When we close the door, she knows that something is going on. So, big deal right? Well the problem is that I can't seem to get over that. I can't get out of my head that she knows what we are doing. Kinda freaks me out. What makes it worse is that I am not really a sex oriented person. My husband wants it all the time, but I could really go either way. So, I am worried. His ex withheld sex from him, for various reasons (all mostly bullsh**) and I'm not doing that, but I am afraid I will scar her for life, or worse, her think that it is OK to have sex....I am so confused.

ColorMeGone2's picture

Makes you wonder how it was accomplished back in the old days, when women had fifteen children in a one-room cabin, huh?! Wink Look, she's going to know you do it whether you live in a 250,000 sq ft mausoleum or in a two-man tent. Married couples have sex. There's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with children this age knowing it. In fact, as soon as they are old enough to conceive, they are old enough to know about sex. That's just a safety issue. You're not going to scar her for life. I mean, maybe if she walked in on you two doing something bizarre and kinky, but not just knowing that it happens. She SHOULD think that it's okay to have sex with your spouse. She SHOULD NOT think it's okay to NOT have sex with your spouse. There's a difference between knowing sex is occurring within the confines of a loving marriage and knowing it's occurring in an irresponsible manner with random partners.

You're confusing sex with promiscuity. Relax and enjoy! I always thought it was odd that my parents would take so many "naps," but by the time I was old enough to understand what they were really doing in there, it sort of became a tongue-in-cheek little family joke. You don't want her to be sexually promiscuous, but you also don't want her to be sexually repressed.

♥ Georgia ♥

"Good men don't just happen. They have to be created by us women." (from ROSEANNE)

SUNFLOWERGRL's picture

That would seem really awkward to me and thank goodness my little ones are too small to know anything. I feel for you. Even though you had the talk with her, she may not even know what you are really doing in there. I mean, she is still naive and hopefully hasnt experienced for herself yet so it probably just blows right over her head. If she is experienced like we are then we could pick up on all the little things. Maybe if you guys play music in the room while you do your business and then she will just think you guys are just hanging out. Or if the TV is up a little louder she wont pick up on it. But I would talk with your hubby and see what he thinks. I think by her being grossed out that is a reassurance that she isnt into the whole sex thing yet. Which is GREAT! But at least that is a great memory for her to have that you two love each other. Rather than fighting and yelling at each other.

"Still waiting to get my life back"

sassymom's picture

Kids always say ewww even my husband when his parents mention sex he has a grossed out look on his face. I think children need to know their parents love each other. PDA is a good thing. Sex inside marriage is ok and children need to know this. My husband and I lead very crazy lives so sometimes we take naps and I'm sure my children know what were doing because the door is closed and they leave us alone. So relax and enjoy your husband and let her see true love in action with the PDA.

Most Evil's picture

Ours is right outside the bedrooms and is loud enough to cover anything!! My sister taught me this! also we have a bell hanging on SD's door handle, to hear if she comes out, unless the washer's too loud

"Fortune favors the brave" - Virgil

smurfy1smile's picture

My BD12 still freaks out and runs from the room when her dad and I kiss or hug in front of her. We have found its the fastest way to get her out of a room or get moving on her chores. We all know are parents had sex but really don't want to know the details. Try to keep the noice level down. If your headboard is on the same wall as her room either move it or (per my doctor) get some foam board or styrofoam and put it between the wall and the headboard to keep down the sound.

Our bed is noisy no matter what we do so we wait til the kids are asleep or turn up the TV and lock the door!

Have fun and enjoy your partner!

Mystery23's picture

but maybe you should not do this when she is around then if it makes you feel uncomfortable. I think if say you sd is at school all day and you dp is home they use this time to get jiggy with it. Sorry but think its nasty doing when your sd is around maybe during the day. In the night okay she will fall asleep so then do it this time.
I had some most embarassing moment living at my dads and actually walking in on them. Hand up it was my fault didn't know but they should of locked the door lol. My half-brother said thats nasty and I was so embarrassed. I even remember they done this during the day once and my step-mum lead my dad upstairs. I knew my step-mum was doing this to get pregnant.

To be honest you need to be a little bit discreet about doing it. Pmsl

sarahbernheart's picture

I say shut the door on some evenings when you are not planning on having sex!!
Kids will talk about it - laugh about it- tell stories about it- whether you are doing it or not!!
Chances are she will forget all about it soon enough!
life is too short!

“You will never be on top of the world
if you try to carry it on your shoulders.”

ccoyle04's picture

SD was at BM's house this weekend, and it was so so nice. I kept telling my husband...remember when we could say what we wanted.... when we could do what we wanted? Maybe part of it is the resentment that my life has changed so much. I have no bio children of my own, just 2 SD's (1 lives with us) What really bugs me is that I think she is jealous of the time that I spend with her father. But I think she is jealous of HIM! She gets one heck of an attitude and gets very defensive when we PDA..... We talked about it this weekend, and I told him that we are just going to have to deal with the attitude....I am worried that she is going to come between us, and our relationship is a good one, right now. There have been little things, but I am not the type of person that holds a grudge. I usually just shirk it off. I am trying to teach that to her, but that is not quite so easy.

sarahbernheart's picture

My FSD and I get along very well, my FH hugs us both when she is over.
I never had a dad that was affectionate or caring so I want her to be able to enjoy her dad's hugs as much as I do.
when she is over and we watch a movie, sometimes she will come sit with us on the couch and he will hold her and me. He loves it too and it is great bonding time.
I know some kids are too far gone, but try it it sure cant hurt!!

“You will never be on top of the world
if you try to carry it on your shoulders.”

Young_step_mum's picture

Hi, I would invest in an electric heater for your bedroom and always have the door to your bedroom shut and have a lock on it too. That way she won't know if you are up to anything or not as the door is usually shut.