You are here

Nasty SD in custody of state...state wants my income and employment info

dontwanttobefigured's picture

My SD is a very nasty piece of work - assaulted my kid, threatened my baby's life before an dafter birth, threatened my life, abused drugs (still does), etc. Her drunk mom finally barricaded herself in the house after multiple hit and runs while driving drunk, and the cops came in and removed SD. She was taken into custody since she cannot live here (threat to everyone in the home).
The court case is still in early stages but as part of it I was asked to sign a reintegration plan, which involved various services I would do 'for' SD. I agreed to do family therapy, keep food in the house, and so on; I crossed out the parts of the plan that involved me giving the court/social services my pay stubs, making a budget, or paying for SD's services. I am in Kansas. I am a stepparent. I do not have a legal obligation to support this child in any way, and I am only doing the family therapy as a show of goodwill and in support of my husband.

The court has called an emergency hearing because I refuse to provide employment information or paystubs to social services. Anyone have a thought?

Oh and I should add, I am not a party to the case, nor was I notified of the hearing (in a week or so). My husband got notice of "emergency hearing" which is SOLELY about me refusing to provide the information as asked. There was already another hearing set for two weeks after that, for the substance of the case.
I do know that if I don't cooperate "fully" my husband cannot have "reintegration" with him - at least in terms of the child living here. but. She is not welcome to live here anyway. So, what is the point?

Lalena75's picture

Get your own lawyer, stand your ground. your unfortunately in the same state that wants child support from sperm donors that help out couples who can't have kids. Your not their parent she's a danger to your home let them try and manipulate you only way they can have any of your info is by a judge signed supeona for the specific info they want even then you only have to answer what is specifically in a supeona.

xtina's picture

This makes me so mad for you!!! In my state (SD), the stepmothers income does not matter! A stepmom could be a millionaire and it doesn't matter! I agree with getting a lawyer! What I understand is this: If you give up your info, you're basically saying you are financially responsible for the kid whether you like it or not but if you DON'T give up your info, they are going to shaft your husband anyway. LOSE LOSE.

It doesn't matter here either, by statute.

And, I AM a lawyer....

hismineandours's picture

Since this is a department of children service case it is likely different. I doubt they want your info to figure cs- although who knows- more likely they are just being nosy and wanting all the facts to see where they can place sd. As their goal at this point is to place her somewhere in order to avoid placement. If the bm is not suitable they are naturally wanting to place with your dh.

I am glad that you stood up for yourself and refused. I don't think you will be forced to give this info. What's the worst they can do? Not place sd with you?

Don't want her anyway...and have made that clear from the outset of the case in October. She is not allowed to be here since she has violently attacked me and my daughter and has threatened violence to our baby.
I just backed that up with an email to the worker stating that I will not appear for the hearing since a) I am not a party, b) I have actually never been given notice and c) I have no intention of SD ever living here. She is 16.5 years old and does not wish to live here ever. She wants us to break up and her dad to move out - and always has wanted that. I fervently believe that is why she attacked my daughter - thought I wuold throw her out and dad would go with her. Dad didn't go.
I also provided the statutes regarding who pays child support.

misSTEP's picture

About as ridiculous as the double standards when it comes to BMs versus Bio Dads...is the double standards in regards to the step-parents and what they are and are not responsible for in regards to the skids.

IslandofDreams's picture

What state are you in? I can't imagine why any agency would need the step-parents income!

Let us know how it turns out.