You are here

Every time I think maybe things are improving

stepper47's picture

I haven't posted in a while, because I really haven't had much to talk about.  But tonight things boiled up again, and I need to push the release valve by blogging when I really feel like screaming.  If you have followed my story lately, you know that SD16 has moved out- DH has 50/50 custody and she was supposed to be here half of every week.  She got angry at him last month because he caught her manipulating to go to a party, and instead of going along with it, he went and got her from it. She threw a tantrum, had BM pick her up, and has not stayed here since.  She has been hurtful and disregarding toward DH, but manages to turn it around to it being his/our fault that she doesn't feel welcome here.   There has been a lot leading up to this.   I see some truth in how she could feel that way in that we have had our struggles as we have blended,  but I feel like she is exploiting it for her advantage.  She definitely doesnt act like someone who wants to try to make things work. 

Anyway...she has only spent time with him 3 times since she moved out....twice she spent two hours with us when we had our niece and nephew, and one weekend when we took her and a friend a trio for her 16th birthday.  In the beginning, he invited her for dinner several times and she blew it off, recently I know he asked her at least once or twice more and I know it didnt happen. I am trying to stay out of it so I am not asking questions.  I do know he texts her every day, sometimes she responds, sometimes she doesn't. 

In the last couple weeks it sounded like she was communicating more, she has even called him with random questions about driving as she just got her license last week.  Just this weekend we were talking about maybe things will be ok, makes sense a teenager would want one home base but that doesn't mean they cant have a relationship.  Today she called and he missed it, he tried to call back and she didnt answer.  He texted and a few hours later she said she just wanted to tell him something about her new job.  Around 9, he got up and said she said to call her, so he went outside.  When he came back in, he said she asked if she could bring her boyfriend on a family trip we are taking in a couple weeks.  Aha.  I get the feeling that was the real reason for her communication today. 

Now, we have had this trip planned since January.  It is just a couple nights away, and we are taking our boys, their girlfriends, (who are all young adults), and he had told me he told SD she could take a friend. In fact, at the time he was adamant that she was not taking her bf.  Which I was fine with, I didnt want the responsibility of keeping an eye on a teenage couple. It has come up in he and I talking a couple times since, and it was still no she is not taking the bf, and that they had a conversation about which girlfriend she was taking.  So it did shoot my blood pressure up when he came in to ask me that......  I (not so gently) pointed out he was the one who had said boyfriend wasn't coming, that's what I planned our cabin around, and I didnt understand why he was asking me this.  He said, "well SD said she would sleep on the floor if he could come"  I swear, my DH does complete 180s, we can have full conversations about something, but if SD says the opposite, it's like we never even talked about it.  Makes me psychotic.

But, to his credit, he has learned to start stopping to consider what I am saying, and he said tonight he still does not want boyfriend to go.  I asked him why he was asking me then, and he said he needs me to keep him straight.  Huh? Soooo....he told SD he would get back to her...and now it looks like he talked to me and I put the stop to it.  Perfect.  Ugghhh.  He tried to say no it doesnt....but yes it does.

Anyway, he went back outside to call her, so I dont know what went on in the conversations.  When he came back in he said it was fine.  A little bit later I heard his phone going off and he let out a huge sigh.   I asked what was wrong and he said SD....he let me see the text.   She sent a long text about how she just got done crying over his punk a$$, she thinks about him every day because she looks just like him (no she doesn't, she looks like her mom. Just saying), and how can he never want to call or spend time with her, he is an a$$ and an awful person and she is done with him.  

I feel like this is the twilight zone. DH is not perfect, he is not always great with knowing how to deal with emotions, he tends to stuff his down and act like everything is fine.  If he has stuffed a lot and his line gets crossed, he can be sarcastic.....I think he could deal with things better sometimes...but can't we all.  He is not mean and definitely not an awful person. Most of the time he is bending over backwards tryng to keep everyone happy.  The way she speaks to him is not the way a child should speak to their parent. It is hateful.  It seems to get into his head, and pushes him down.  And I start to wonder what I am missing, because from my point of view, she has been treated well, too well perhaps, which I feel has helped lead us here.  So...here we are back to "I hate you, I don't want anything to do with you, my mom is my "real" parent".   Conveniently timed to coincide with her not getting something she wants.  What a crock of bull.

But...this is my husband's daughter.  Anyone else who might treat him like this, I would say time to cut that line, but she is his child.  I just don't know how you navigate a relationship like this with a child. I am a child of divorce myself (x3), so I do understand that there are a ton of emotions that kids dont know how to process.  But how she is acting is very disproportionate to the way things have been.  It feels toxic.  But she is still maturing and it doesnt feel right to assume that this is really what she is growing into.   On the other hand, at this point I think it is too late to teach her right.   So is it keep trying, and continuously get kicked in the teeth, or give space, only to get accused of not wanting to spend time?  Seems like a no win situation, does anyone have any ideas for a middle ground?  

tog redux's picture

Give space and keep trying, it's a not an either/or.  He has to keep being her parent, even in the face of her manipulations and threats. That means she will distance herself and be a jerk because she's not getting what she wants, and she feels powerful enough to reject him because of it (thanks, BM.)

He can just say, "We'd love to have you come on your own, SD,  but I understand if you decide not to come.  Love you, Dad."  and leave it at that. No arguing, no berating or lecturing her, etc.

She's trying to take power here, and as soon as he gives in, it will never stop. Don't negotiate with terrorists, but he loves this terrorist, so do the non-negotiating with love.

STaround's picture

I can see how the 16YO does not want to be the only single on a couples weekend.  I don't think that dad should change this vacation, but I would be more focused on what works for minor kids than adult kids.  

SteppedOut's picture

He IS allowing her to bring a FRIEND so she is not "the only person alone". It is NOT appropriate to allow a teenager to have a love interest stay overnight. Unless you are a fan of teenage unplanned pregnancy. 

STaround's picture

I did NOT say allow her to bring her BF.  I do think that adults do not have a responsibility to provide vacations for adult kids, and next time DAD should look for a non-couples weekend, if he wants to build bridges with his 16 YO.  

tog redux's picture

How do you know the adult kids aren't paying for themselves? So the family vacations should all be centered around SD16's fee-fees?  She can bring a friend, and when she's an adult, she can bring a BF.

STaround's picture

I specifically said do not change this vacation, and would not include the 16 yo's BF.  I said consider something different for next time.  I did not assume the adult kids are or are not paying.  I just think that parents have more an obligation with respect to minor kids.   I never said ALL vacations should be child centered, but i do think there should be some balance.  

tog redux's picture

How do you even know what they are doing on their vacation?

Why do you always assume that people are mistreating stepkids?

STaround's picture

They are taking their boys and the boys SO's.  This is a couples weekend.  I never said OP was mistreating the SD, I just said they should alternate types of vacations.  Many people do not like to be the odd single, and a friend is not the same when everyone else has their honey.   I never said the SD should be allowed to bring her BF.  

tog redux's picture

How do you know they aren't going to Disney World? Lots of people do as adults. Or to the family cottage, where everyone has gone for years, and now the boys have "honeys" so they are coming along too.

If they get married, do they have to leave their wives home so SD's feelings won't be hurt?  If she doesn't have a boyfriend, do they never get to take their wives anywhere, for fear of upsetting SD?

Your argument is silly. 

Thisisnotus's picture

This is exactly what has been happening to me by my now 16 year old daughter for almot 2 years now. I have rules at my house....her father does NOT have any rules so she moved out of my house permanately. I tried everything to make things work for her in this blended family (her dad's house is also a blended family) and nothing I ever did mattered or was good enough. She was so mean and nasty to me, my DH, her sisters and step sisters. (Yes she has been majorly PAS'd by her dad, but still).

I had a baby during this so she blames that as well. She has no desire to be around her baby sister and has only seen her a handful of times. I had a c-section and she couldn't even be botherd to come see me in the hospital......her dad took her shopping and to lunch that day and she texted me while I was in the hospital "sorry I just have more fun with dad".

Anyway.....I had to let her go and give her space. I don't invite her on family vacations anymore as she doesn't want to be part of the family. It is so sad, but I have no choice. I rarely speak to her.....she has hurt me so much and I was a doting stay home mom who did everything for her up until the divorce. When we do speak or see each other it only takes 10 minutes before she is popping off something rude to me.

Point of my story is I would not have invited your SD on  your vacation due to the way she acts.

tog redux's picture

Yeah, we stopped invited SS19 for anything once he started refusing.  DH just texted him periodically and we went on with our lives.

My SS did come back eventually - your DD will, too.

stepper47's picture

I am so sorry...it is hard to go this with a SD, I can only imagine how it hits you in the gut when it is your child.  It does seem that when it is rules vs no rules, the no rules wins.  I have been wondering when it became ok for the kids to run the house.  It seems like "parenting" is becoming more about making the kids happy rather than having rules and consequences in place to keep them safe and teach them to be responsible, caring adults.  I am not going to compromise what I want for my home to satisfy the whims of s teenager.  But it makes it so hard when the teenager has the option to walk away.  I hope that things get better with your daughter, sending prayers for you!

stepper47's picture

Thank you for all the comments.  I think I have used the "we don't negotiate with terrorists" line, although I think I said I don't let teenagers run my home. To clarify, this is a short, 3 day getaway to a cabin a couple hours away to spend time with our kids.   Last year we took our kids + one friend of SD (she was the only one who got to bring a friend) on a cruise, as kind of a "last hurrah" family vacation and parents and kids.  We had such a nice time and felt like it was bonding to get away, we wanted to do something this year, but on a much smaller scale obviously.  Our boys are both 20 and in college, and they have been with their gf's 2 and 2.5 years.  Their gf's are their best friends, so that was our intention for inviting them along, this isn't a romantic couples get away.  But they are adults so we don't feel the same responsibilityy to monitor then.  When we planned this 6 months ago, things were in an ok place with SD, and she had only been dating her bf for about a month.  We found a reasonable cabin with space for the girlfriends to each have their own rooms, our boys will share, and SD and her friend would share (as she would want to do with a friend)   I thought everything was set.  Now 2 weeks out, she is asking to bring her boyfriend instead of the friend she told us.   I don't blame her for asking, and I don't blame DH for being uncomfortable with that, most especially with how things have been with her.  We have only been around bf a couple of times, he seems nice but we don't really know him.  Before SD moved out, DH had picked her up at a party plastered drunk (she tried to manipulate him out of picking her up that night, this is why he wouldn't let her go to the last party), so we don't really know that we can trust her.  A few weeks ago she excluded DH from her prom pictures because she "wasn't comfortable" with DH around her bf.  This is because the night she threw her tantrum and had her mom come get her, her boyfriend showed up in our driveway to see her, and DH told him what happened.  That made her mad (which I do feel like DH should not have said anything to the bf,but again, her reaction was disproportionate) So, there are several factors in the decision not to invite bf...But the bottom line is, Dad said no.   That does not mean it's ok to attack Dad, but that is her mode of operation.  And it's getting old.  

tog redux's picture

She's been empowered to think that she's an adult and on the same level with DH, so the rules of parent/child relating no longer apply (in her mind).  They key is for DH to not get defensive, not argue or lecture, and most certainly - do not take it personally.

He can let her know that when she's over 18, she can bring a BF (if that's his belief), and we'll miss you - love Dad.

Just be aware that she's "sitting on BM's shoulders" so to speak, so this isn't really her, it's the empowered version of her.  DH can no longer parent how he wants to, but that doesn't mean he gives up all rules and values.

stepper47's picture

You are totally right. Definitely empowered.  She is doing what she learned she can.  I guess I need to stay focused on how DH is not caving and not worry about what she is doing.  It just makes my blood boil though, hard to shut that off.  I hate when people lie and manipulate, I dont care who it is.  Dh and i just talked about it and he said he did not get defensive, he just told her no, he is not ready for her to take a bf and the reasons why, and she got mad and hung up on him.  Then texted him that junk an hour later.  My SS was at his moms while this was happening and said she was crying and saying DH did not care about her, SS said they need to figure this out bc he is tired of it.  Amen SS.   Meanwhile I imagine BM was sitting there saying "oh, SD, *I* would let you take your bf on vacation, that is so, so mean."

tog redux's picture

Yes, I hated when DH would get the nasty rotten texts from SS while he was alienated. That same kid would never say that stuff to DH's face, and it made it so clear how manipulated he was.

DH preferred the nasty texts to the silence, but I much preferred silence.

Sounds like your DH is handling it well - all you can do is be supportive.  I used to seethe with anger at SS - now that he's back, that's mostly abated as he and DH have begun to reconnect again.

Merry's picture

I married DH when his kids were adults (chronologically) so I didn’t have any experience with the kids as teens. But I am feeling the fallout. 

When things are going well the kids are pleasant, polite to me, even fun to be around. When DH isn’t doing what they think he should, they are rude, hateful, and demand that he does their bidding. 

It rarely affects me other than to see my husband turn into a spineless man. Recently their demands did affect me significantly. I told DH that now I get to pay for his lack of parenting too. 

I don’t dislike his kids. Parenting is hard even for good parents. I hope your DH navigates these teenage years well, otherwise he’ll still be dealing with this same hot and cold behavior when SD is40. It’s exhausting. 

stepper47's picture

Yes, I hear you on this.  I feel like the stage we have been in is setting up for where you are with your DHs kids.  I do not dislike my SD, I do love her, I want the best for her, and I enjoy her when she doesn't have the attitude.  But I don't like this behavior and her general attitude of disdain toward DH and our household.   And I also don't like seeing my DH roll over, especially when it goes against something he I have already discussed or set.  Definitely exhausting, I wish it wasnt so hard to get along. 

Harry's picture

You are paying for the vacation.  It no god given right, for for kids to be taken on vacation.  SD was invited to go, she was told she could take a GF,  that how it goes.  You can see that SD will always be pulling something, it’s either her way or the highway.  Either BF comes or she is not going.  

Unfortunately you have to take a stand,  you said GF can go not BF.  It’s up to her to go with you or stay with BM.  I really don’t think SD really does not want to go.  She does not want to be, on a spot where she can not have a good time,  ie. drinking ect.  That not going to happen at the cabin   

She rather stay with BM. Who has no rules 

stepper47's picture

See, I feel like in a normal situation, the parent says something, the kid might get mad, but there is a respect that what the parent says goes.  In our situation, the parent says something, and the kid gets mad, is rude and disrespectful and attacks the parents character, then goes radio silent as punishment.   I do want him to take a stand in this case and not give in just because he is afraid of her reaction.  That just feeds it, like it already has been for years and had helped lead s where we are today

Rags's picture

Any time SD-16 fails to comply with the visitation schedule... file a contempt motion against BM.  See how BM and SD like having mommy's nose rubbed in the stench they are causing.

Have fun doing it.  Consequences drive behavioral compliance.  Bring the consequences.

stepper47's picture

We would have a whole lot of motions filed by now.   I think the ship has sailed on that at this point.  He is not going to force her to be here if she doesnt want to be, and he doesn't want to enflame things more than they already are. But then apparently that can be twisted to look like he doesn't care.  

stepper47's picture

Your tone  seems condescending and you make a lot of assumptions, but you did make me rethink my situation, so thank you for your input.  I have come to the conclusion that I am still good with how I am interacting with my family in this situation - I am staying out of it as much as I can, but this is a huge part our life and marriage so I think it is impossible to be completely removed.  However, just because I share my feelings on this anonymous, venting website does not mean that I am saying them to anyone in my life. I thought that was the purpose here, to be able to vent?

ishouldrun's picture

why would you [Want2] try to give advice.  Would seem there may be a reason your SDs don't like you.  Its frustrating, hurtful and shameful the way SKids yank their Bioparents around and refuse to have a relationship unless they are given exactly what they want.  They are terrorists plain and simple.  They don't care about the parent they just want what they want when they want it.  I'm out of it at this point, maybe someday when he matures I'll open the door to trying again but that's not anytime in the foreseeable future.