You are here

Of course, nothing lasts - BM left SD home alone. For two weeks.

runninglawmom's picture

And she is home alone now. SD is sixteen, troubled, and with a history (past and recent) of alcohol and drug use. She used mom's house for a party a few weeks ago when she was staying with sis - she snuck home, opened the house for friends, got snoused, and somehow all of mom's rx drugs went "missing" too. She was punished but only briefly - mom then changed course and got SD a belly button ring, and they got matching tattoos, you know the normal way a mom would celebrate the sixteenth birthday with a kiddo right? All of this without consulting dad, who has joint legal, of course.

Fast forward - mom in her wisdom went on a job in Chicago and left SD, 16 and only a few days 16, at home, with a car and cash and no adult. For two weeks. Came home over this past weekend, and is gone again. Not a word to dad. Her idea of supervision was asking another teen neighbor to 'check in' on SD from time to time. Dad found out from older SD, who is incensed. She only talked to older SD because she wanted her to go to a parent meeting at the school; older SD refused since she is finally taking a stand too, and saying she is not the parent and will not be involved, especially after SD 16 ran off from her house, had the party, etc. BM, who is an alcoholic of many years, to the point of lying in her own vomit having seizures, taking seizure meds so she can drink more, had the gall to tell SD 21 that she is a bad mom because she won't allow BM to see her under one year old child, and she won't go to the parent meeting.

Nevermind that she never informed the other actual parent of the meeting.
Or that she's saying this from Chicago, while her child is a fifteen hour drive/four hour flight away, alone, unsupervised, despite being an addict who is prone to violence....

Yeah, still glad SD isn't living here, but now a bit over a barrel as to what to do. I'm a mandated reporter, so I hotlined all of this, as I always do. I also plan to call the police for a welfare check on SD each night - both to document that sh eis alone unsupervised, and to keep her safe in that it is hard to party with the cops checking in at uncertain times each night. Dad hotlined this as well, and has tried to call SD (who has not spoken to him in months and does not return his calls); he did email BM who denies all of this of course. I hope this child does not wind up dead or raped for her parents mistakes.

ThatGirl's picture

This sounds exactly like the story with my SD19. All the trouble started at 15-16 and she went to live with BM who had no rules/repercussions. She seems to have survived it so far, and even managed to graduate high school after having to do homeschool to catch up. It really is a shame when you have a parent who'd rather be a friend than a parent.