You are here

Boyfriends lazy teens

Princessl1515's picture

I am a 21 with a 43 year old bf, I know it's a huge age difference but that's not what is affecting our relationship, it's his 15 Give rose & 17 (m) year old kids! I love them both to death and while I don't have any children of my own I really try to be the best role model that I can. They are both great kids with the exception of the fact that they are both SO lazy. They only stay with us every other week but when they do I can't help but get pissed off. They don't do their laundry, they constantly ask their dad what's for dinner, never clean! They just go to school come home sit in their rooms, come out for dinner after its cooked for them, leave their plates and go back to their room. Growing up my mom passed away when I was 8 & my dad was an alcoholic so my sister and her husband raised me. I always cleaned up after myself, cooked my own food, and tried to clean our house as much as possible because I never wanted to be a burden. I also helped raise their three kids which helped me to decide that I didn't want kids until I was a lot older. I remind my boyfriend to tell them to clean their rooms and bathroom or it is completely disgusting! He does, but it never lasts. I have an amazing relationship with both kids so I don't want to be their dads bitchy girlfriend. But it's so unfair that everyday when I wake up I'm stuck cleaning up everyone's mess & doing laundry. I've tried just leaving it but I want to be the best I can and I'm also a huge clean freak! I have been dealing with this for almost a year and I love them all but I am just so fed up with all of it!

Princessl1515's picture

goohsmom's picture

As one of the other posters said, stop doing everything that you're doing. Believe me, you are not doing these teens any favors by enabling them to be so lazy. Do your laundry and SO's, leave theirs where it lies, or shovel it into their rooms. Keep their doors closed. Cook meals that you like, enough for everyone but don't make it a big production. Tell them you've made dinner, but unless you and SO are trying to create family dinners, don't make a big deal about large meals at the same time.

In my household, my two SS's used to rule the dinner roost. They're very picky, and can really turn on the drama if dinner isn't to their liking. I spent a year trying to only cook what they liked.....only to have them even turn up their noses at what they supposedly like. So, I stopped. Now, on the weekends, there's food available for them to cook, but I only cook what I like. If they want some of it, fine. If not, they can fix themselves something or go hungry. I've found the words "so" and "and", both with a question at the end, work wonders when they complain about being hungry, or no clean clothes, or they're bored, or they can't find something in their rooms. They're 14 and 16, so are fully capable of taking care of their basic needs. Their dad has made great strides, going from trying to coax them to eat something to taking the same attitude of "find something or don't", and it's been great watching them learn to be more self-sufficient.

For me, self-sufficiency is the goal when raising kids, especially teens. The more opportunities they have to be self-sufficient (by you refusing to take care of them), the more likely they are to become self-sufficient and successful. Of course, this requires your SO's support, but that's another issue.

Pam

StickAFork's picture

Have you ever wondered WHY a grown ass man with kids almost your age is messing with you?

That would be like me screwing my sons' friends. His kid is all of FOUR years younger than you.

It amazes me that women never stop to ask themselves that question. WHY????

PS: Teens are famous for being lazy.

Princessl1515's picture

Our age difference doesn't really matter... I understand teens are known for being lazy but I am also a grown woman. Your input has not helped at all. I was looking for advice not a lesson on math thank you though!

StickAFork's picture

Advice?
Don't compare your teens years to theirs.
Their father sets the rules.
Just be happy they're only there half the time.

PLEASE tell me you're still in school, at least?

harriet's picture

You show a lot of behaviors manifested as being the adult child of an alcoholic: "They may also have an overdeveloped sense of responsibility derived from the necessity of caring for a drunken parent and emotionally supporting other members of the family during their most formative years. Such character traits may be useful and admirable in their original setting, but they can often become liabilities later in life, especially in the context of marriage."

I feel for you. At age 23 you should not be dealing with this mess that is not of your creation. I strongly urge you to seek therapy and find some balance in your life.

http://family.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25669/~/i'm-an-adult-child-of-an-alcoholic.-what-challenges-do-i-face%3F

Princessl1515's picture

I completely agree with you. I do feel as if I have to care for others that I love no matter what setting I am in. I am going to start therapy soon and I know that will be very helpful. I just have a huge heart and I hate being the bad person in any situation which is why I think the kids are using me to do the things such as chores so they don't have to. Should I just leave the mess for them to clean? I started to leave their clothes In the laundry room and I basically refuse to do it. If their dad wants to then he can. The most he will say is to " bring you laundry downstairs." I am beginning to feel the affects of being with an older man with older kids. I am so in love with him but sometimes I wish I could go out and act like a 21 year old instead of spending my time acting like a mom when I'm not. I also don't want to hurt my bf's feelings because they have a horrible mom which is why he babies them Sad

harriet's picture

Yes, you should just leave the mess. It's on their dad to handle discipline. His kids aren't going to listen to you or respect you. Part of it is that you're too close in age, part of it is stepchildren issues. Either way, you are not their parent and it does not fall on your shoulders to take care of them or make sure they're raised right. You take care of yourself first.

Your boyfriend is a grown man, his feelings, and making himself feel better or feel good, are his responsibility. No one can make anyone else happy. That truly comes from within.

And honestly, there are other fish in the sea. You seem like a sweet girl with a big heart. Find someone closer to your age, without all this baggage, and start fresh. I had such a good time when I was 21! I went out with my friends and did normal age-appropriate crazy things. Smile Go out and have some fun.

IAmALady77's picture

She's only 21. Besides the fact that your relationship raises eyebrows (I am almost 23 and can not imagine being with someone old enough to be my DAD...ew) SAF is right. Advice is this, in your case you can either quit bitching or just leave. It doesn't seem as if you have it that bad to be honest. Teenagers are gross and lazy, YOU weren't like that because of your own upbringing but they are because they are not going through the hardships that you had.

Just out of curiosity though, I am truly wondering why someone so young such as yourself would even want to be with someone so much older...especially with kids practically your age? Care to share your opinion?

IAmALady77's picture

Too me, older is like 4, maybe 5 years lol SO will be 27 in December and I will be 23 in DEcember...good little age gap, I can make fun of him for being almost 30, but we're still in the same "generation" if you will so we CONNECT. At 21, dating someone that was older than you (22) when you were born is just rather sickening to me.

I have trouble connecting to teenagers today even though I wasn't a teenager that long ago. I am 22 right now. That means in a couple decades I could hypothetically date someone that was just born TODAY. What the hell would be talk about?!

Sorry OP, still can't wrap my head around it.

Princessl1515's picture

I am with someone so much older than I am because I am a lot more mature than most people my age. Every guy I have ever dated has been extremely immature and selfish. Besides that my boyfriend is a wonderful, caring, supportive, and very loving individual. Yes my family did have a lot of questions when we were first together but they absolutely love him, as do I. And I am not bitching just venting and asking what would be the best thing to do in my situation. And if you cannot imagine being with someone who is as old as your father then please don't tell me how good or bad my situation is, considering you have no experience.

Princessl1515's picture

OMG does anyone not realize this post has NOTHING to do with my relationship with my boyfriend???!! If you can't give me advice on dealing with teenagers then please don't respond! I do not need a lesson on who I am dating or their appropriate age. Please find something better to do with your time then complain about the age difference between my boyfriend and I.

StickAFork's picture

Yes, yes, yes!!!!

OP, what YOU don't see is that your age DOES have something to do with it.
Think about his kids for a second. Their dad finds himself someone who could have been at the same high school at the same time as the older daughter, and now he's moved her in and is screwing her in THEIR home when THEY are present.

Again, please, PLEASE tell me you're at least in school. That means there may be hope for you yet!!

Princessl1515's picture

Yes I'm in school with two degrees and my bf is a nurse. I also work full time at a hospital but obviously nobody here can give any advice pertaining to the real subject/ problem.

StickAFork's picture

You have TWO degrees at 21??? How is that even possible??

Look, I understand you're upset because posters, myself included, are focused on the "age thing." I probably gave you a harder time than I should have; I responded because I was grossed out.

The truth is...the age thing is an issue. These girls are your peers. You are not their "boss" and they won't EVER see you as a "stepmom." Personally, I think they're doing waaay better with you and this situation than I ever thought could be possible.

Their dad is a sickie to be f*cking a kid his kids' age. Plain and simple. You think they don't hear about this from their friends? Kids at school? ICK.

There's nothing you can do because they aren't clean enough for you. Just be grateful that they aren't spending every minute trying to make your life a living hell.

anabihibik's picture

I had dual degrees at 21. I got another at 25. I'll have another at 32. I don't understand what that has to do with her post.

IAmALady77's picture

Except you are bitching. You are complaining because your "step kids" are lazy and they don't listen to their father....okay, better advice: not your kids, not your problem. You are NOT their mother therfore you have every right to ignore them and go about your life as if they are not there. They are old enough to take care of themselves so why are you so worried?

bt-sped-gf's picture

I get that you are mature, but there is NO way you are 43 mature. He is immature fi he is with someone your age. So, if someone who is immature is raising kids....what are those kids going to be like? If I were in your situation, I would vent, but there's not much you can do. They were raised by immature and lazy people and you are not old enough to have any authority over them. So, I wouldn't clean up after them, I would be making SOs life miserable until he cleans up after his own kids.

StickAFork's picture

Why would you get 2 Associates' degrees? Why not go for a Bachelor's? Hmmm. Never heard of that before.

You must live in one of those cool states that allow for college/high school simultaneously.

Princessl1515's picture

Lol yes I do live in one of those cool states! It's called dual enrollment LOL! I have two associates because I decided to change my major. I should have realized I was asking advice from the WRONG people. I feel A LOT better knowing my problems are nothing compared to any of yours. Smile

doll faced sm's picture

The advice you received, while not sugar coated, is good advice. Obviously, not what you wanted to hear, but good advice none the less.

Disneyfan's picture

Those kids aren't using you. They are doing normal, annoying teen stuff.

Your BF is using you. He would be hard pressed to find a woman his age willing to put up with what you are dealing with.

doll faced sm's picture

My advice would be to stop doing what you've been doing. Don't do their laundry; invest in laundry bags and at the end of weekends, send it home with them to BM's. Don't clean their rooms, either. Shut the door so that you don't have to look at it, spray lysol so you don't have to smell it, and if anything starts growing mold or attracting bugs, throw it in the garbage. On their weekends over, make dinner plans with friends and let their dad sort out dinner and clean-up.

Everyone else *is* right about the age thing. You and your SO are adults and free to do as you damn well please, but those kids do *not* see you as any type of authority figure and it is *all* about the age. And, like it or not, this is totally normal.

emotionaly beat up's picture

I grew up as the child of alcoholics. We grow up to fast. We have to survive that world and we have to take responsibility for many things that really were our parents responsibility. Cleaning, cooking, washing, ironing getting ourselves off to school and often being left home alone. We learn to be caters. We learn to be good girls and preempt what our patents needs or wants would be because there would be he'll to pay if we didn't

Trying to be good and take care of the needs of people in our lives us second nature. Taking a back seat is also second nature. We think being used is okay because we are comfortable with it.

Well it's not ok. You are responsible for this situation. You have treated these young men as you have because you want them and your husband to like you You need to feel loved needed and wanted. You need to feel in control. Of course younger men seem immature to you, but the problem isn't so much them as YOU bring old beyond your years.

You are allowing your husband and his grown kids to treat you as the unpaid hired help. Why not, it is all you know. You are comfortable with it and set it up to happen because it is familiar to you. It is what we were as kids

I am 60 now. I spent my life doing and caring. Always making sure I didn't tick people off always trying to get them to like me I guess. Always the giver never the taker.

Well I have been treated like the idiot I was by my DH and his family. I taught them I would jump through hoops to please them and expected nothing in return. That is what I got

You need to stop behaving like this you need to allow these people your husband especially to be part of a family. Family's work together. A family is where each person pitches in and does their share. You have taken over everyone's role and it feels comfortable and familiar. Let go, let these young men learn what it means to be part of a normal family. Show your husband you respect yourself and expect to be respected by him and his sons. Not used.

Your job here is not to change your husband or his sons. It is to change you. Perhaps read some books on adult children of alcoholics. We turn out pretty low in the confidence and self esteem departments

You are 21. Get this sorted so that you can have a happy life now. Don't wait until you are 60 to decide it is no fun being a doormat and having people you love take advantage of your good nature.

You see all that caring we do, all that putting others ahead of ourselves may be great for others. But it is soul destroying for us. We teach others to take advantage of us and we get hurt when they do.

Your biggest problem may well be that if you don't run around doing all things for all people. You don't like yourself. You need to change that mentality. Our parents had an illness that was not socially acceptable. That did not make us socially unacceptable. That does not make us second best. We do not have to go through life proving our worth.

Don't forget you are also teaching these young men how relationships work and how to treat women. Do you really thing they should learn a woman is to be used this way. Or do you think they should learn that marriage is about mutual respect , about caring for EACH OTHER not one person carrying the load giving all and the other lapping it up. You are a role model to these boys. Be a good one. Teach them to respect women and in particular their wives.

sammmx's picture

Hi, I don't really know what to tell you in regards to the teenage SKids (mine are only 9 and 3) but I know how you feel in dating an older man... I'm also 21 and my BF is 36. It sucks being so absolutely enamoured with someone but at the same time wishing they wanted to GO DO SOMETHING sometime... or be able to go party with people your age. I don't really have any advice because my life is constantly in turmoil as well but... just wishing you the best of luck. I know how hard it is.

Princessl1515's picture

Omg thank you so much!!! Finally someone who understands and isn't judgemental of my situation. It's not like we chose to fall for older men, and you can't help who you fall in love with! It does suck not being able to go out, like tonight is a Saturday, my favorite football team won their game & yes I would live to go out. But no tonight is just one of those nights we don't agree on things or get along. And I honestly couldn't care less if I am being selfish because he has to work tomorrow! I sacrificed my life to being in a family and living in a house when none of its ever been mine. Sorry but I seriously need to vent, sometimes I want to act crazy and like someone my age. Just as someone older would love to go out to celebrate something that is important to them.

StickAFork's picture

I'm glad you said it...not me. Smile

OP, sammmx's situation is a complete, total hot mess. Her BF is awful to her and still in love with his x.
You DON'T want this to be someone who "understands."

Shoot for the moon, girl. If you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Princess you never had a childhood. You will never fully understand that unless one day you have a child of your own. We were robbed. No ones fault. Alcoholism is an illness like any other and we just found ourselves born into that. There were some benefits though. We grew up to be strong independent women. Remember this no matter what your future holds. You will have the strength to deal with it.

Now know and remember this. You cannot find your father in another man. Please don't do that to yourself. It is futile. I looked to two father on laws for that one died the other let me down badly. We got one dad he didn't through no fault of his own turn out so great. That's ok. The sooner you see that the better off you will be. Trust me on this one. As I said before I am 60 I am the mother of 3 the youngest is 30 and I am grandmother to 4 boys. In the last 12 months the penny dropped for real. I only had and only ever will have 1 dad. That didn't work out but that's ok. I cannot find him in someone else.

Live your life to the fullest. Enjoy your husband but do not enmesh yourself into him. You could have gone to the game with friends. But women like us don't do that. We are too responsible. This man is your husband not your dad he should not be telling you where you can or cannot go. Not that I am suggesting he is. But I think your upbringing gives you a skewed approach as to how men work.

You deserve to have a life independent of your husband. You are not a child. That bring said you are a wife and have responsibilities as such. So hanging out with friends every weekend would not be appropriate. But a football game every now and again. Go for it. You can have both. You are the one stopping yourself. We grow up to be our own worst enemies.

So little chicken now is the time to build your self esteem to be confident in yourself and to know you are every bit ad good and every but as worthy as the next person. Learn to express your needs. Making others in your life a priority and important is absolutely fine. however you have to make yourself a priority and important too. We don't tend to do that. We always came second to the drink so we settle into bring second best comfortably. Then when the elderly or children are involved we just keep putting ourselves further and further down the list if priorities. If you start to make yourself important too you will be fine. Let others do their share. They don't have to do it all but neither do you. Start asking for help. Not demanding and starting world but a can you help me set the table gold the washing do the dishes along the way will help you to become more assertive Look to yourself to fix this. We really are our own worst enemy at times. Just look after you too and you'll be fine. You are just as important as everyone else.

Princess you never had a childhood. You will never fully understand that unless one day you have a child of your own. We were robbed. No ones fault. Alcoholism is an illness like any other and we just found ourselves born into that. There were some benefits though. We grew up to be strong independent women. Remember this no matter what your future holds. You will have the strength to deal with it.

Now know and remember this. You cannot find your father in another man. Please don't do that to yourself. It is futile. I looked to two father on laws for that one died the other let me down badly. We got one dad he didn't through no fault of his own turn out so great. That's ok. The sooner you see that the better off you will be. Trust me on this one. As I said before I am 60 I am the mother of 3 the youngest is 30 and I am grandmother to 4 boys. In the last 12 months the penny dropped for real. I only had and only ever will have 1 dad. That didn't work out but that's ok. I cannot find him in someone else.

Live your life to the fullest. Enjoy your husband but do not enmesh yourself into him. You could have gone to the game with friends. But women like us don't do that. We are too responsible. This man is your husband not your dad he should not be telling you where you can or cannot go. Not that I am suggesting he is. But I think your upbringing gives you a skewed approach as to how men work. I think it makes us afraid to upset a man. Because we both know where that goes. We tend to behave around all men the way we did our fathers. This is not good for us.

You deserve to have a life independent of your husband. You are not a child. That being said you are a wife and have responsibilities as such. So hanging out with friends every weekend would not be appropriate. But a football game every now and again. Go for it. You can have both. You are the one stopping yourself. We grow up to be our own worst enemies.

So little chicken now is the time to build your self esteem to be confident in yourself and to know you are every bit as good and every bit as worthy as the next person. Learn to express your needs. Making others in your life a priority and important is absolutely fine. however you have to make yourself a priority and important too. We don't tend to do that. We always came second to the drink so we settle into being second best comfortably. Then when the elderly or children are involved we just keep putting ourselves further and further down the list if priorities. If you start to make yourself important too you will be fine. Let others do their share. They don't have to do it all but neither do you. Start asking for help. Not demanding and starting world war 3 but a can you help me set the table fold the washing do the dishes goes al long way towards helping you to become more assertive Look to yourself to fix this. We really are our own worst enemy at times. Just look after you too and you'll be fine. You are just as important as everyone else.

Lauren B's picture

Reading your story and the comments made me want to share my story with you. Maybe you can take a few things away from it. Sorry if it is long!

I am 25, and my fDH is 44. We have been together for 5 years, lived together for 4 1/2 years, and he has 2 kids (fSD15, and fSS12). I have been in their life for most of those 5 years. He has his kids every other week --50/50. I do not want kids of my own. Never have.

I am also a child of an alcoholic. (There is a actually a book titled "Adult Children of Alcoholics" that was very helpful to me. It describes two types of people that come from alcoholic parents. One is me, and the other is my brother-- EXACTLY. I would recommend you look it up.) I attend regular Al-Anon meetings to deal with the continuing issues of having an alcoholic parent. I would also encourage you to go to those.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, from a very good school, (that I completed while I was with fDH) and have a very good job.

I am not blind to the fact that a lot of women (the majority of whom are middle-aged) balk at our age difference. I also realize that the decision to be with a man 19 years older than me was caused by psychological reasons that DO have to do with "daddy issues." In my situation, my dad (not the alcoholic parent) was gone A LOT of the time (ARMY brat, here) and our relationship suffered because of it. I was probably looking to replace him. I will also share that when I met fDH, my own parents were going through a nasty divorce after 20 years of marriage. I didn't know it then (at 20), but looking back I think I was looking for a "family" unit because mine had been destroyed. I was drawn to the routine and stability that my teen years lacked. I was alllll about playing house.

People gave him a hard time too, when we first met. He heard everything from "You're a pedophile," to "you must be having a mid-life crisis."

Realizing these things does not make me love fDH any less. It does not change the fact that we have a very loving, supportive relationship. He and I joke that I act a lot older than I am and he acts a lot younger than he is. We agree that we are collectively around 30 Smile .

I ALWAYS dated older men, (never this much older, though) and also found men my age terribly immature. I never had the desire to go out a lot (I don't drink, as I think alcoholism is genetic, and to be honest, being around it triggers a lot of anger. I have been dealing with this in Al-Anon meetings. fDH does not drink either). fDH encourages me to go out with my friends and, even though it was weird at first, he socializes with my friends and I go out with his sometimes too. He has never held me back and/or tried to "tie me down." In fact, he is always encouraging me to go out and do more things. He is terrified that I will one day resent him for taking care of his kids and our house.

In regard to his two kids, I realized early on that because of our age difference, I would never, no matter how long we were together, be a STEPMOM to his kids. Do I deal with a lot of "stepmom" issues? Yes. Do I do many things BM does? Yes. Can I relate to a lot of the women on this site? Absolutely. Will his kids ever see me as a "parental" figure? ABSOLUTELY NOT. It's not easy, by any means, and I worked long and hard to garner the respect I have. They have never once pulled the "You're not my mom" card, but that is because I REFUSE to mother them. They already have a mother.

I will NEVER "parent" his kids, and I see anything I do for them as a favor to fDH. My role in their life has been relegated to that of a "big sister," an "aunt" or a "cousin." My goal is to always be a positive role model for them and someone they can rely on. I go to every one of their sporting/school events and if they come to me with a problem, I give them the best advice I can. I want fDH and I to be an example of what a healthy, stable relationship looks like, and I think so far we have succeeded. They are both excited to be MOH/Best Man in our wedding next summer.

BM and I have what I would call a civil relationship. It took a long time to get to this point. We can be cordial and friendly in front of skids. We are in the same room together a lot because of school functions. fDH and I make it a point to never talk badly about BM in front of kids.

My advice to you: Like you said, you can't help who you love. Don't get defensive when people tell you that you have daddy issues, because it is likely you do-- and it's ok. You can still have a healthy relationship with your boyfriend.

As for his kids, at 15 and 17 there is absolutely no reason why they can't clean up after themselves and do their own laundry. If your boyfriend is expecting you to do it, then you have a serious problem there. They do it, or if he's dumb enough, he does it. You do not. Don't ever tell them what to do. Don't expect them to listen. At this point, you are nothing more than dad's girlfriend and their roommate. Accept it. If they are disrespectful, it is on your boyfriend to step in and defend you. If he doesn't, move on. Don't do anything for those kids without him asking you to. You have the right to say no. And you should (at least sometimes).

If you have a strong desire to go out with your friends and be young and 21 (which is totally ok!), then do it. Don't stay in on his account. You'll only resent him for it later. If he's telling you that you can't go out, then ditch him. If it is bothering you that he won't go out with you, then I would again have you reconsider the relationship. He's not going to get any younger.

Don't be discouraged. An age difference is not an issue unless you make it one. My parents and extended family (his too) love us together. My dad, who is fDH's age, loves him, and thinks he is a great guy. I thoroughly enjoy my relationship, and I get a kick out of being a "trophy (future)wife." He takes good care of me, but I also contribute to the relationship. I have a job that could support me if I were on my own.

Chin up. Be smart.
Hope this helps.

Lauren B's picture

You can still have a healthy relationship if you acknowledge it, and don't fall into father/daughter roles with one another.

The relationship I have with fDH is NOTHING (thank God) like a father/daughter relationship, even if I was (subconsciously) searching for someone like my dad. He does not parent me. And if you were to ask him, he would agree that he has absolutely no control over my decisions, except for when I ask his opinion. He doesn't talk down to me or lecture me, etc. He is not at all like a "dad" to me.

If our relationship had evolved into a parent/child relationship, or something similar, then I would agree that it would have been unhealthy. I feel like fDH and I are equal partners.

I think a lot of women seek out men who are like their fathers-- in that they have similar positive (and sometimes negative) character traits. I think that is completely normal and very common. They are the first men we ever love, and we idolize them. It's very Freudian.

I don't see why a woman marrying a man her age, that is similar to her dad, is any different then marrying a man who is older that is similar to her dad. My dad is honest, supportive, encouraging, thoughtful and has a great sense of humor. Who wouldn't want those qualities in a mate? On the flip side, he has a hot temper and and is sometimes closed minded. fDH is not like that.

Don't we take the good and leave the bad?

StickAFork's picture

Lauren... you first said your dad was absent most of the time, and you were all about playing house and having the family unit you felt you lacked.
NOW, a matter of minutes later, you're saying how your dad was/is such a terrific father.
HUH?
Inconsistent at best.

Lauren B's picture

I never said my dad was a bad dad.

He was gone a lot for reasons that were beyond his control, being in the military. Because he was gone a lot, we had typical military family household problems. I would say that the biggest (and fairly common in military families) problem, is that while my dad was deployed or on duty etc., my mom would be in control of the household, and didn't have to answer to him. When he came back, there was a power struggle between them over who was in charge and who the kids had to answer to. As a selfish teenager, I resented his absence and didn't understand it. I hated it when he came home and tried to boss me around or parent me like he knew what was going on. As an adult, I realize that he made tremendous sacrifices for his family, and that him being gone was equally hard on him as it was on my brother and me (and my mom).

Within the last 3 years, he and I have gotten a lot closer. Our relationship has done a 180, and I value our relationship.

I don't think my advice is confusing. Not back pedaling.

She may not know she has "daddy issues" at this time. I didn't when I met fDH. I denied and denied when people told me I did. It's not something people are generally aware of. After a lot of time and some thoughtful consideration, I concede that when I met fDH I was probably searching for someone to replace my dad. It was a hard thing to admit. Thankfully, our relationship never evolved into a parent/child relationship, like I stated before. That would be unhealthy, I agree. I don't feel that I am having "sex with my dad" (yeck) or that I ever wanted to (yeck yeck).

fDH and my dad have similar personality traits, but by no means are the same person. When I met fDH, he offered me stability, kindness, understanding, and warmth (among other things), but I imagine those were the things I was lacking most from my dad.

If OP's relationship is headed in a parent/child direction, then I would advise that she leaves it or re evaluates it, at the very least.

I was just trying to let her know that there are successful blended families with large age differences between partners, with teenage step-children involved.

I guess I didn't realize I was signing up for, an admittedly self-induced, psych eval. Haha. It's ok. I'm game! Wink

reallifedrama's picture

Wow, I have 3 sons. 24, 19, and 17-close to you and your SK's age ranges. So, you are just about in the same age range as your BF's kids. I am cracking up at the thought of my 24 yr. old raising my other two sons.

I am absolutely positive they would act like your SK's are if my son tried to "parent" them. Not because they are disrespectful, but because they would feel like, hey you're not actually an adult to me, you're actually in the same age range as me. Can you imagine a woman your age with your father trying to get you to do ANYTHING?

I'm not going to even touch on the age difference thing between you and your BF. I'm just going to say that in my opinion, you're probably not going to really ever be realized as an adult, authority figure in the kids eyes.

I'm dying laughing thinking about my 24 yr. old TRYING to be a parent to my other two boys. It would be quite an adventure.