You are here

Almost a week of Daily Fights...I'm about at my limit...

Stepmomplan's picture

A little background: BM is very inconsiderate and inconsistent with visitation. She is working and has decided to go back to school through a certification program. it's not a good program...her choice except the hours are awful in that she has almost zero time for the girls. She is supposed to have them on Thursday for dinner..3.5 hrs, certain holidays, and every other weekend...she picked the schedule and dragged us to court to get it. She now misses visits on Thursday or has her BF pick up the girls and sees them on her school break for 30 min. Most weekends she keeps, but she has skipped holidays and doesn't try to make other arrangements to see them...i.e. we offer more time but she declines. There have been two instances where she forgot she had them for visitation. That's where the problems begin. This seeps over to SD14 and SD7. The SD7 handles it pretty well, but will display stress through being fussy or nightmares. The SD14 is another story. The past week she has been driving me crazy to the point where it is impacting my job. here's what has been happening:

Last Thursday: SD14 comes home and runs into the bathroom saying she has to pee. I am getting the little SD7 ready for bed and I hear SD14 yelling from the bathroom for me. She wants toilet paper. It's already in there but she refuses to put the new roll on and use it herself. She wants me to do it. I wait her out and 15 minutes later she does it.

Friday: SD14 leaves the house for her Mom's with an attitude that she does not want to take her Halloween costume to her Mom's for a party. I tell her that it's not up to her since her Mom asked for it. I tell BM that it is up to her and she takes it. Discover later that SD14 did not clean her bathroom nor bedroom as she was told to do.

Saturday:Her Dad texts her hi ect...later goodnight, but no response.

Sunday; Still no response from SD14, but we see activity on the account for her phone.

Monday:SD14 walks home from school with SD7 (within eye distance of the house) and texts Dad finally saying she forgot her keys. Dad is 2 hours away at a work meeting. I work 10 minutes away, so I race home to let them in. I give hugs and kisses but SD14 is distant. No thank you from her or apology. She just asked if her BM dropped her other bags off yet. I had to go back to work very hurt and fuming over her selfishness. Dad tells her via phone about her inconsideration. She just says "ok". That night we talk to her and she kept insisting it was "No big deal." "An accident." We also asked about the lack of text response. We said we respect her time with her Mom but she can answer even if she is mad. She refused to say anything was wrong and said when she is with her mom she doesn't feel she needs to text us. Rude. We tried and tried to talk to her, but she just gave an attitude. She eventually forced herself to say sorry and then ruined it by asking in a rude tone "Are we done now?" We set bedtime to 9pm for the whole week from her regular 10pm.

Tuesday: Bathroom is still not cleaned and I am fuming as I find SD14 playing foosball. I call her out and she says she did clean. I tell her she clearly did a half effort job since the trash was literally overflowing with nasty feminine wrappers ect. I also get on to her about having all the windows open as it is 50 degrees outside and the house is freezing. She pouts outside and I try to talk to her for an hour. She finally says she wants to live with her Mom as she never sees her. She refuses to see that her mom has a tight schedule and we give her all the time we can with her BM. She says how great this or that is over at BM's in terms of parties and social events. She refuses to acknowledge the house we provide in a great neighborhood with excellent schools. She tries to make herself out to be a martyr and states she stays for SD7. I call her out saying she is not the provider and that she is there 5 times a month with SD 7 for an hr alone..that's it! She then says that I am too much like a Mom" bc I cook, clean, take care of them, buy things ect. It's like I can't win at all at this point. She claims I make her Dad weak as I am part of the decisions made and that her Mom just used to do what her Dad said. I told her that I can't speak for that past, but every relationship is different and it's healthy to make united decisions. She doesn't like that I bring her family around and that I try to talk to her. It basically ended with her sounding like she was blindly wishing to be with her Mom with zero regard for how she is projecting herself onto others and was not open to hearing anything to the contrary of her own distorted views. She eventually takes out the trash and helps her Dad take out the rest of the house trash to the curb for morning pick-up.

Wednesday Morning: SD14 is not waking herself up anymore still despite being sent to bed at 9pm and I am running behind schedule. She wakes up with 40 minutes to get ready...still plenty of time. She comes down stairs ten minutes late with shorts on after I told her it was going to be cold and to wear Jeans. She also has this awful orange/red lipcolor on. I let both slide without a word bc I am tired of fighting and want her to get to school on time. On the way she complains about not doing her hair and being tired. I tell her bedtime is 9pm and no reading as she should be fully rested (she woke at 6:50am). She says nothing. We are waiting in the line of traffic in front of her school and she asks what time it is (mind you there is a clock right in front of her...helpless) I answer nicley and say it's 7:52am. She says "I gotta go!" Jumps out of the car and starts to take off with the car door still open. I yelled for her to shut the door which she does. I am once again fuming. I was not moving, but to do that was so rude. I get home to wait with SD7 before taking her to school and see SD14's door shut, which is against house rules. I open it and find the room a real mess with her bed unmade and clothes everywhere. I am really steamed and I stopped myself three times from sending her dad a rant as we will just fight about enforcement since he gets tired of trying and wants to ignore it.

Tonight I am planning to text her when she is home to clean her room, pick-up the clothes, and make her bed...her dad still wants to consider her request to have friends over...we will probably fight if i say no. I feel like I want to just give up on her and have her Dad do everything for SD14 or make arrangements for BM to do it. Any insight on this??? I am so frustrated and my job is to high stress to come home to this all the time. I just sat at work for an hour this morning trying not to lose it.

lil_lady's picture

Sounds like a cranky teenager but I think she is right she should not have to text you while she is with her mom.... That is her time with her mom.

Stepmomplan's picture

I think it's rude not to text her Dad back regardless of who she is with. She texts and calls her Mom when she is with us...Maybe I'm off base and not good at being a StepMom. I am feeling like I am failing. Sad

misSTEP's picture

If she texts mom on dad's time, she needs to return the courtesy.

Sounds like you are overly involved and because of that, your DH is slacking. Maybe things would be better if she went to stay with BM. She can see that life isn't all roses and fairy tales.

Just make sure your DH isn't the type that is going to let her switch back and forth between houses on her whim.

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

That is exactly how I feel about texts. I could understand if dad called all the time while SD was with mom, but an occasional text to say hey or whatever should get a response...especially since I am certain that SD doesn't stop texting her friends on "mom's time". SD14 does the same thing...when she is with BM, she ignores texts from DH. What's bad is that DH doesn't text her until about an hour to an hour and a half before she is to be picked up to make sure that they will be at the house, SD14 is ready to go, etc. SD14 always has some excuse why she didn't answer her text...didn't get it, brother had her phone, etc.

It sounds like your SD is going through the "grass is greener" phase! We had that problem when SD14 lived with us this time last year. BM sent her to live with us because she was getting into trouble (and it was only after she moved back that BM revealed that trouble was smoking pot), and was sent back to us again in May for the very same trouble. The first stint, after moving in with us, BM started making things fun over there...going shopping on weekends, letting SD14 say the whole weekend with her friends over there, etc. So, naturally, SD14 wanted to go back there, because she didn't have to follow the rules there that we had here...no bed time, etc. I'm certain the only reason that SD14 isn't trying to go back now is because she was literally kicked out by BM's husband after she skipped school and was caught smoking pot again!

lil_lady's picture

I don't think you are failing at all I think you care a lot and you are doing everything you can. Sometimes girls that age need some space though and it sounds like she is getting frustrated with neither of her parents putting effort in. It sounds like you have a lot on your shoulders. Maybe DH needs to be more involved? As for the texting from what I can gather BM gets them just on the weekend if that. I think it is a little much to expect her to not take that time with her mom. You guys have her more of course she may call her mom every 3 or 4 days.... but she does not get even that with mom!

bearcub25's picture

I feel really bad for these girls not having their Mothers on a regular basis, including my SD.

Mothers are women that had that Mother/Daughter bond and it really bothers me that they just don't care that their own daughters are missing out on that. I know some of you SMs are close with your SDs but I just don't think it is enough. Even if the BM is working, going to school just knowing their Mom is there if they need them is what these girls need.

I cherish the times I had with my Mom and with my daughter.

Bojangles's picture

I completely understand your frustration and the building stress that must now accompany any interaction with SD. I went through a lot of this with YSD when she moved in just before her 14th birthday. Inconsiderate communication, inappropriate outfits, horribly messy room and apathetic efforts to clean it when asked, annoying references to life at BM's conveying the impression all was more fun and cool over there. Discussions that go in one ear and out the other and she carries on as before. The overwhelming feeling that you are struggling to enforce basic rules and that a ridiculous amount of your time is spent anticipating being annoyed, being annoyed, or trying to recover from the annoyance. A lot of it is standard teen stuff, but much more stressful to deal with as a step parent and with split homes.

My advice is this, if she pursues a move to her mothers' house, and BM is up for it, then let her go. She would benefit from her mothers input at this age and it would make your life easier. At that age she has very little time of input into SD7's life anyway. If SD doesn't do anything about it then take it as a typical ill thought out teen outburst and don't bring it up again. Other tips:

1. Give up on her room. You will find it hard to accept, but this is not a battle worth fighting. 99% of teens are lazy slobs when it comes to their rooms, give her that one space to do with as she likes, but absolutely insist that she treats the rest of the house with more respect. At intervals her Dad can go in with her with a gas mask and bin liner and enforce a clean up. But give up on weekly room tidying, you don't need the hassle and it won't achieve anything other than ongoing friction. She will rebel for the sake of rebelling. Let her keep her door shut so you can ignore the chaos. Believe me this advice does not come easy, I started out diligently enforcing room tidying on the 'its a room in MY house' basis but much later I came to realise that I needed to stop being such a mother figure and disengage, and its very difficult to disengage if you're constantly fretting over the state of their room.

2. Back out of some of the 'we' parental talks with SD. Leave DH to be the front man and take the flak. If she fails to respond to DH's messages that should be an issue between him and her and he should speak to her about it. It doesn't need a family conference. Try not to feel protective or indignant on DH's behalf - he is a big boy, it's his child and he ought to be able to fight his own corner. Only participate if it's really necessary.

3. Time-keeping - buy her an alarm clock and set it. If possible get DH to deal with her transport to school and police her outfits.

Above all remember, there is nothing wrong with backing off from SD at this point. She is at a watershed age when her behaviour gets more challenging and it becomes much more difficult for a step parent, who lacks the security of a bio relationship, to deal with it. I completely understand your desire to parent in the best way you know how, but unfortunately you are not in the running for a parent of the year award and the likelihood is that no one will appreciate your diligence and it will just cause friction with DH. Making a partial tactical withdrawal is a sensible decision - it doesn't mean you write off having any influence, it just means you parent more behind the scenes with DH and pick the issues you pursue with her.

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

Of course, the question is, WHAT is dad doing with all of this? As many of us have found, there are too many dads who want to take a back seat and make us take over. Like with the key situation, I know what would have happened in my case...dad is 2 hours away, I'm 10 minutes...yup, DH would call me and TELL me to go take care of it because he doesn't have the time to deal with it. That is what happens already.

If the dads in these situations don't want to do anything, us SM's are stuck dealing with attitude and a host of other crap! I say I'm only partially disengaged, because if I were fully disengaged, I would be living in a pig sty, and I'm not about to have my house trashed! I have to be in this place all day every day, it is going to be clean. Neither SD14 nor DH care if it is clean or not, so they would trash it if I didn't stay on everyone's case about picking up after themselves. When it comes to what SD14 eats (or doesn't) etc., I let dad deal with it, but that doesn't change the fact that SD14 still has a crappy attitude toward me and EXPECTS things of me (you know, like giving her my stuff just because she wants X). The dad's have to stand up and be parents!

Stepmomplan's picture

Smile This is right on with how I feel..." a ridiculous amount of your time is spent anticipating being annoyed, being annoyed, or trying to recover from the annoyance. A lot of it is standard teen stuff, but much more stressful to deal with as a step parent and with split homes."

Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone and not completely crazy.

Sambolina1's picture

Some of that is just typical rude teenager girl stuff. I try to pick my battles. For instance, a. Quick text back and gross bathroom. That should be addressed. Shorts and ugly lipstick? Natural comcequences....otherwise you'll go mad because you've got like four years of teenager hood left! Smile buckle up! It's gonna get bumpy!