You are here

Bio dad wants back in after 5 years of not seeing/talking to or attempting to contact children

Tcorea's picture

My wife and I have been together for 6 1/2 years now. Her son was 5 mos, and daughter was 2yo when we began dating. Their father had seen them a handful of times the first 6 mos we were together. And hasn't seen them, or attempted to see or talk to them since 2013. We had a son together in 2017, and my step children love him as if he was blood. Their father has been in prison for the past couple of years for theft charges and will be out in the next 6 mos. I have been their for many firsts, and they promoted me to "dad". The kids told me today that while at their grandmother's house, they spoke with their "dad". I was heart broken. Not because they spoke to him, but because I dont want them going through the heart break again. I've been wanting to adopt them since a year after my wife and I started dating and she is all about it. I'm really hoping that he doesnt put up a fight, but if he does, I plan on taking it all the way.

TrueNorth77's picture

Hopefully it works out that you can adopt them! I will say, that my mother left us when I was 5, with only 2 very half-assed attempts to be in my sisters and my life since (I’m 42 now). The feeling of abandonment doesn’t leave you. My sister especially struggled with it, with several suicide attempts in her 20’s and 30’s. I’m well-adjusted, but it never leaves you and that fear of abandonment is always there for me in almost any relationship. I totally get the worry of heartbreak for skids- but I do hope you encourage a relationship as much as possible. Not because their dad is good for them, but because abandonment is worse for them. I’m sure that will be tough to do, but all you can do is be there for them if things go south. It sounds like they are lucky to have you!

tog redux's picture

Well, first off, your son IS blood to your stepkids, he's their mother's son as well, so their half-brother.

It's hard to have to give up the "dad" role but let them try to sort that out.  If the bio dad stays consistent that's good for them, they then can have two father figures.  As step-girlfriend said, being abandoned by a parent is hard on a kid, and even a loving stepparent can't make up for that.

lieutenant_dad's picture

This is one of those times that being a SP sucks because you can put ALL your energy into being a good parent and then be "demoted" when the BP returns.

As tog said, this is something the kids have to sort out. Even if you adopt them, that doesn't change the fact that he is biologically linked to them. There may come a point where they want to try and have a relationship with them, even if adopted by you.

I very much don't advocate for SPs adoptings their SKs unless the SKs ask for it, the family has had some counseling to discuss what that means, and the other parent is on board with giving up their rights. I don't think it always works out well if a SP pushes to be "the new parent", especially if the BP is still in contact with the kids and the kids don't ask. It sets you, as the SP, up to be the bad guy who tried to cut the BP out of their life - even IF it is what is best for them.

Your wife and her ex are the ones who will break the kids' hearts. For better or worse, this is the man she chose to have children with, and part of that fallout falls on her. She doesn't get to replace their father just because she met someone better. That's not how this works. She needs to work with her kids through this, and not in a way where they trash their father (even if he is trash). The kids have to decide what he means to them; that is the little power and control they have in their life.

ETA: Ultimately what is best is for him to right his ways and do good by his kids. Everyone needs to give him a chance to do that, even if it seems unfair.

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

If he’s been in prison for the past couple years 99% of courts will allow him to retain his parental rights and start with supervised visits. There’s next to nothing you can do about it. In the courts eyes the children have a dad and contrary to what you want it’s not you. The fact that dad had to go through the kids grandparents to speak to his children isn’t going to make you guys look good since you’ve had years to attempt to terminate his rights and decided not to till now.

However that doesn’t mean anything about your home has to change.  It’s 6 months till he gets out and at least 6 months to a few years before he gets anything more than supervised visits.

As for being worried they will be hurt? Do anything to actively keep their dad away from them and you are hurting this. Of course I’m not saying don’t go to court and protect them but if dad is doing what he’s supposed to and want’s to exercise his rights then for their sake he should be allowed. No matter how bad you want to be you are not their biological father and children do better when ALL parents are involved in their lives.

Harry's picture

Them without there Bio father giving up his rights. Or not showing up in court. If BF fights the adoption, you will lose.  If BF wants to see them, that his right, Also has to pay CS. Kids are already involved with his parents, he going to see them if he wants. Nothing you can do about it. Except make him all the picks up and returns. And have a set schudal and make him stick to it. 

It does really suck, we know how you feel.  He does nothing but still has rights,  The right to screw up his kids, and you are the one who has to live with the effects

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

OP and BM can easily request supervised visits to start. The children don't know this man. They need a reunification plan. It will be a while before overnights happen.

Letti.R's picture

What do you mean by:

I'm really hoping that he doesnt put up a fight, but if he does, I plan on taking it all the way.

I really feel for you as you have been the only dad these kids have known for a number of years, but it does not give you or - your wife - the right to exclude the children's biological father from their lives.
It may seem great to you and your wife to re-write history, but what about consideration for the children?
Are you sure this is what is best for them?

The children's biological father may have bad past, it doesn't change the fact that he is their father.
Your wife chose that man to father her children.
She does not get to undo it, because you are a better match for her.
Morally, to me, I have a question around how much better you really are, with a statement that may mean you have decided to take away the rights of someone else.
For which valid reasons?
Your post doesn't say other than him being an absent father.

If the courts decide he is an unfit parent, his rights may be terminated.
Being in jail gives me no idea as to what kind of parent he will be when he gets out.
He may be reformed, he may be rotten, even worse than before he was first incarcerated.
He may be the worst person to have your skids around.
Do you have any idea of his behaviour whilst he was in jail?

You are really deluding yourself if you think you can play happy families by excluding the children's father.
With time they may look him up or blame you and your wife for denying them a relationship with him.
Please tread carefully.
Do not do anything to antagonise the father, where you start out by creating a bad relationship with him.
It can backfire on you and make him oppose any attempts you have to adopt the children.
Please don't rock the boat at the outset because it is going to be a mistake.
Yes, it sucks, but these are his children and not yours.

Jcksjj's picture

Yeah I wouldnt count on the communication lasting...my ODS dad has only contacted my son when he is in jail/prison and writes letters then and always includes in them how hes changing his life blah blah...and then he goes straight back to how he was as soon as he gets out and hasn't once actually set up visitation. Willing to bet BD there wouldnt either if he didnt gave gma facilitating it. It's pretty obvious from the contents of his letters that he is doesnt really care about my son and he is just looking for someone to worship him and care about his grand life adventures he thinks he is living with his lifestyle. So I can see where your concern is coming from if you have a similar situation.

Everyone saying that he still has rights and is BD is right BUT if he does go a significant period of time without seeing them or providing child support (one year in my state I believe) he has legally abandoned them and you can file to have his rights taken and adopt. Unfortunately, despite popular belief, not all parents truly love their children and no it is not always best to have them involved. Social services will tell you that, but the courts tend to assume otherwise. And in most cases it is best for both parents to be involved. The prison population has a much higher rate of personality disorders than the general population though so I don't doubt in your case that BD is not the type of person cut out to be a parent.

Rags's picture

However, in all likelihood you won't find it easy to adopt if the BioDad does not readily agree to it.  The odds of finding a Judge with enough testicular fortitude to grant an adoption while BioDad, regardless of how reprehensible he may be, fights is slim and none.

No kid should be forced into the presence of, or to have a relationship with a criminal. Even if that criminal is their parent.  IMHO of  course.  I do not see your desire to adopt as a denial of BioDad's rights. I see it as you protecting your children. But that may just be me.

You may not have a genetic relationship other than as the father of their youngest sib but the fact is that you and only you are their father, Dad, confidant, advocate, disciplinarian and viable male role model. That other guy is just a  sperm donor and not a particularly appealing one at that.

CS is a huge stick to motivate adoption approval from the blended family opposition.  One we never played but we did hold it as a control mechanism to keep the SpermClan under control during the 16+ years we lived under a CO.  We could have changed venue to TX any time after SS had been resident in TX for 6mos. That would have raised CS by ~$1000/mo.  We never did it for two reasons.  First, it would have also more than doubled visitation time for the SpermClan and second ... we did not need the money.  The stick was more important to us than the money.

If she does not already have one, I suggest that  your DW get a CS order in place and get it in place before BioDad gets out of prison.  She can use it as leverage if necessary.

We discussed adoption a few times while SS-26 was a minor.  The SpermClan took extreme exception to the proposal.  I would have too if I was them.  So we did not force the issue.  While I did not adopt  him as a minor, he did ask me to adopt him when he was 22.  We made that happen. 

Be measured in how you proceed with the adoption push.  Just be dad.  I was... and ultimately it is my name on his birth certificate and it is our family name on his USAF uniform.

DW and I met when SS-26 was 15mos old.  So our journey began at about the same time as yours did as far as Skid ages are concerned.

Good luck.

Thumper's picture

Sir please consider this. I get it, you wrote that you have become a dad figure for your wife and her ex's bio children. BUT putting all lovely; wonderful; feelings and actions on your behalf aside----A fact that maybe you have not considered is.

IF dad terminates his parental rights and/or IF the court terminates his rights (doubtful) and you legally adopt their children, YOU will be 100percent on the hook for child support thru the age of majority in kids state AND possibly college expenses, AND God forbid one of the kids becomes disabled car accident, medical illness,  mental heatl issue .

lots of kids disabled for mental illness. Have you noticed? A lot of  that going around don't you think and few people are paying attention to. They should especially dads. Anyway,

...YOU can be on the hook for life time child support.

Let that sink in for a little....."YOUR" Life long child support or at the least,  child support for dudes and your ex's kids IF 2, 3, 4 years, from now your wife OR you divorce.

i know, i know,,,you and your wife will never get divorced. wont happen. You dont believe in divorce... None of us ever thought we would be divorced but it does happen.

The 'States interest' is only 'who' will $$$$$$ care for the child.  You can do just that without putting yourself at risk.

You can provide for them in many ways in addition to what your doing. Small life insurance policy, small bank account. You can control that narrative.

Adoption of minor children is something you can not change.

IF you must adopt, wait until the kids are 18 years old.

Quick share:  Friends of ours have an adult daughter. She was married and had 2 kids. She divorced. She hooked up with a solider, nice guy. WELL, the last time i saw her she was saying her ex  is a deadbeat, went to jail for many months, he doesnt see the kids. You know the story...HER plan is to have GI adopt her two kids asap. At 'least the kids will be set up'

Oh and by the way she was expecting her third from GI so they were getting married.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

DONT be foolish, be smart. Women have been 'daddy' shopping for hundreds if not thousands of years. My gender is not always on the up and up with guys...sorry but it is true.

Your situation is not about Foster kids, or a widow or a husband and wife who can not have bio kids of their own. Your wifes kids have a bio dad...regardless of what or whom he is he will always be bio dad. He may not be a daddy like you are. BUTTTTT

I wonder what your wife would say IF you told her you wanted to keep status quo, love her kids, help support her kids $$... but not legally adopt them.

Best wishes moving forward.....remember take care of your future.

(sorry so long. I have seen situations just like yours turn out awful for the men.)

lieutenant_dad's picture

You bring up several excellent points, one of which being that even IF OP adopts the kids, if he and DW split, she may try to withhold the kids from him. Or allow BD to have access to them, causing major conflicts for the kids.

OP, this isn't me trying to trash your wife. This is me telling you that none of us *want* our relationships to fail, but sometimes they do. And sometimes when they do, it goes badly (hence why most of us are here). You can do ALL the dad things and be "Dad" without the legal expectation that you ARE Dad. Your wife can even grant you partial guardianship so that you can make some decisions for the kids in her absence.

Don't take on someone else's responsibility without having equal authority. Right now, you get to make the rules. If you adopt them, the courts get to make the rules, and the courts are not always favorable to fathers, especially non-biological adoptive fathers to kids who have a living, capable mother and living bio-father. It's not fair, but it is what it is.

And I speak on this from familial experience.

Jcksjj's picture

On the other hand...something happens to DW and he has no rights. Kid is put (at least temporarily) in foster care or else handed over to bio dad who is a stranger. Any "ours" babies that are siblings might have that relationship torn apart. It depends on him personally which scenario would be worse to him. Idk if many people realize this, but stepparent adoption is the most common form of adoption there is and there is a simplified process for it. I can think of at least 6 families offhand that I knew growing up where the stepdad adopted (dont know of any stepmoms). The only I reason I knew about 3 of them is because i lived in a small town where everyone knows everything about everyone. The other 3 I didnt know until I became good friends with the kids.  Chances are everyone on here knows someone whose "dad" started out as stepdad and dont even realize it. All of those situations except one the families are still intact and the kids are in their 30s. The last one they split after the kids were 18 and I couldn't tell you what the relationship is now between the dad and daughter but the adoptive dad was kind of a loser so who knows. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

The process is simpler for stepdads because there doesn't have to be a father on the birth certificate. It's super easy to have a man added if Mom says "I have no idea who dad is".

This simplified process has actually caused some states to implement "presumptive father registries" for men who think they are the father of a baby. Men register before babies are born stating who the mother is, and when a birth certificate comes through, it triggers an inquiry before a father is added to the birth certificate. It gives the presumtive father a chance to take his claim to court before Mom adds Joe Anyman onto the birth certificate (which is super easy to do, by the way, for a newborn).

Plus, this isn't a case where Dad has disappeared. He has been in prison. That gives Mom the ability to fully dictate whether the kids interact with Dad or not. I'm not saying that he is Father of the Year, but to act like Dad chose to not see his kids for 5 years (because he has been in jail and Mom has kept them from him, which I'm not saying is right or wrong) isn't exactly accurate.

If this man has been rehabilitated (and people can be), he may be able to be an active father. He shouldn't lose that right just because Mom has a new husband.

Again, sucky part of being a SP.

Jcksjj's picture

The simplified process actually is not just for if there is no dad listed on the birth certificate. There is just the additional step before that of having dads rights terminated if there is. Granted I only know the procedure for my state and the neighboring state from my previous work as a paralegal, so other states it may be different. Usually the dads have agreed to terminate their rights though, so that makes a difference. There are alot of dads who would have chosen adoption or abortion in the first place, but didnt have that option since it wasnt up to them. Again, I dont know the situation here in that much detail, I'm just saying what I've seen going the other way also.

As for whether or not dad should have rights still since he was in prison...that's kind if a case by case thing that I dont think can be judged by an outsider. Some people can be rehabilitated and some theres no chance. Given that dad was only in their life minimally before he went to prison its kind of a toss up. From what I can tell from the post BD was MIA completely for a couple of years before even going to prison. To me, if BM wasnt preventing BD from seeing them (and it appears he would have access if the kids are seeing gma on that side), abandoning them is abusive.

Tcorea's picture

Even if we were divorce. I plan on being a part of the skids lives and she knows that. We've had our rough times and we've discussed it. Even if we were to get a divorce, I would still be in their lives and fully support them. I really appreciate the input though!

justmakingthebest's picture

My bio was in prision when my stepdad adopted me. It was the greatest gift of my life.  I was always safe, loved and wanted. Stories like this make me so happy.

You are the dad. I wish you the best.

Rags's picture

As much as society and many people want to claim to the contrary... biology is not worth a crap in parenting. Parenting is a process of choice, intellect, character and commitment.  Fortuneatly most BioParents do it right.  Sadly, far too many have no business breeding in the first place.  That is where being a REAL parent comes in.  And being a REAL parent has absolutely zero to do with biology.  A parent is an example, a mentor, an advocate and a disciplinarian.  None of that requires biology.

I am a non-breeding father.  I was a StepFather to my son (former SS-26) for 20 years.  I was also his Dad.  The only one he has ever really had as his SpermIdiot is a waste of skin of monumental proportions, devoid of character, a criminal, and useless.  No child should have to have anything to do with him including his 4 all out of wedlock spawn by three different baby mamas.  The two eldest would rather piss on his leg than look at him.  The youngest two.... worship him and are delivering on the SpermIdiot's goal of being a Crip or Blood ganbanger.  The SpermIdiot is a Opie Cunningham looking Cracker.  His two youngest are bi-racial and sadly can join gangs that only used to laugh at and beat the shit out of their idiot SpermDonor.  They are making their SpermIdiot proud.

Just as I have been, you are your SKids' father, you are their Daddy, their Dad and the only REAL father they have and far more likely than not... will ever have.

Be proud of that.  Keep up the great work.

I became Daddy to my SS shortly after his mom and I met and started dating when he was 15mos old.  I was the first person he ever called "Dad(dy)".  His mom and I married the week before he turned 2yo.  He asked me to adopt him when he was 22yo.  We made that  happen.

REAL fathers protect their children.  If that means having to go to war in court to protect your kids from their toxic criminal BioDonor Male then that is what a REAL father does.  Just be prepared for a long, expensive, heartbreaking process that is far from a sure thing regarding the outcome.

Far too many people forget that parenting is about the children.  That is something that you are clearly in touch with.

Good luck.

tog redux's picture

OP, don't alienate this bio father from his kids, just because you want to be their father.  If he drops out of the picture, then fine, you can still be dad. But forcing him out of the picture via court is parental alienation. Don't be fooled that you are doing the right thing for a kid by cutting his bio father out of his life.

Let the kid make that decision.

Rags's picture

IMHO one of the primary responsibilities of parenting is protecting children.  There is a reason why children do not get to make decisions as an adult until they are 18.  Untill then they express opinions but adults/parents make the decisions.

I have a number or friends who are adopted.  None of them have any interest in knowing their birth parent(s).  They have great parents, they are in great families, and they have no need to know the whats and why's of their conception and the path that occurred before they were born.

lieutenant_dad's picture

Yeah, THEY made the choice about the relationship they do or don't have with reaching out to their bioparents.

YOUR SON made the choice for you to be his legal father.

That's the point most of us are making. OP can move through with adoption and push BD aside, but that doesn't stop the kids from wanting a relationship with him, whether that be now or in the future.

I know four sets of adopted families, and in all of them, the kids wanted to learn more about their bioparents for various reasons. That is their CHOICE.

The time for deciding who should be a parent is before having sex. I admire what you did, Rags, I really do. But your approach of "push out the bad and bring in the good" isn't always as cut-and-dry as you make it sound. Your wife made a crappy decision in who she chose, and you both are lucky that you made the right calls in regards to your son. That approach does not always work, and it borders very dangerously on parental alienation.

tog redux's picture

It is parental alienation, period.  Bio parents have a right to a relationship with their child and a stepparent who decides he's the better parent and pushes out the bio parent is alienating.

Rags's picture

In the dictionary definition of the work alienating, yes.  A SP adopting a Skid would be alienating the replaced BP from the kid and vise versa.

Within the context of my understanding of the definition of PAS... not necessarily and most likely it is not alienating.  PAS is an undermining long term manipulative process.  Adoption is direct action.  Generally speaking, adoption of a Skid is not PAS.  There may be PAS occuring in the family dynamic associated with the adoption but adoption of Skids is not in and of itself PAS.

In our case we discussed adoption when SS was a minor and broached the topic with the SpermClan.  We even offered to adopt the three younger also out of wedlock SpermIdiot spawned  half sibs by two other baby mamas when the SpermClan cried about how they could not affort to feed them due to the CS they were paying for their miniscule share of supporting SS.  It was a whopping $133/mo at that time.  So, we offered to help by adopting them and raising them with their elder brother.  They rejected our offer to adopt the younger three and got all pissy regarding my adoption of SS.  So, we never broached the topic again.

As far as outcomes for all four of the SpermIdiot's spawn. His eldest (26), my son, is thriving, a self supporting viable adult.  #2 (the sister) (23) is struggling though is self supporting and has disengaged from her father completely. She does remain in contact with SpermGrandHag.  #3 and #4  (21 & 20) are both fringe gangbangers with criminal records. They worship the SpermIdiot and are entitlement minions.

What was the right decision for these kids?  What should the SpermClan done with our offer?

So, let me ask a question based on an historical event.

During the Clintion administration we had the Elián González incident.  He was rescued at sea though his mother drowned in the crossing from Cuba.  Fla courts awarded temporary custody to his Uncle.  His Cuban father claimed he should have custody and the boy should be returned to Cuba.  The federal gov't intervened, took the child from the Uncle at gun point and the kid was returned to Cuba.

Meanwhile 18 years later and back in Cuba he is a puppet of the Castro regime and a scripted revolutionary talking head. 

In hind site... did the father's rights apply to the detriment to the kids life?  Hard to say.

I am a balance sheet engineer kinda guy.  The data drives decisions for me and not emotion.  So... in terms of the OPs situation..... the balance sheet tells me that adoption would set the base for the best future outcome for his Skids over forcing visitation with a convict.

Then there is the humanist perspective.  Should the best interests of the Skids trump the BioDad's rights?

I tend to go with the balance sheet approach though the humanist in me has qualms with that in this situation.

Jcksjj's picture

Of course alot of kids are curious about their bio parents. That doesnt really have anything to do with their relationship with their adoptive parents. It doesnt mean they would have preferred not to have been adopted. Even if they did prefer that it doesnt mean they would have had a better life...sometimes it's a "the grass is always greener thing." Like you said, it's not always cut and dry. Sometimes the bio parent really is a danger. Or would be perfectly willing to trade the kids for getting out of child support. And yes, sometimes it is alienation. But the courts arent going to cut parental rights without dads consent or there being an extreme circumstance. So if that isn't the case adoption isn't going to happen anyway. 

tog redux's picture

They may not cut dad's rights, but OP and his wife could make dad's life so miserable that he decides it's not worth fighting for his child anymore.  Then OP can take over as "father", whether he adopts him or not.

Jcksjj's picture

Possible. All I know is that in my case it means zero to me anymore if my sons BD is blood or not and I can understand where OP is coming from in wanting to protect them. BD had plenty of chances though already in my case and I dont care what anyone on here says that doesnt know him personally, he is better off without him around. I know the abandonment hurts him, but the cruelty BD is capable is far worse. And he has put him in physical danger before as well. Even the couple times he has sent him letters (which were clearly meant for attention for me anyway) were only because he was going to jail and wanted attention. I mean, why would a grown man send letters detailing his drug addiction and claiming hes nearly died several times and referring to his people as c*m sl*ts etc to a 6 year old? I guarantee the contents of the letters would have traumatized him more than anything else and he would have cried every night worrying about what his dad was going. I did show him the drawing he sent him and saved the letter for when he is older, but I'm sure as hell not going to continue to allow him any unsupervised access until he is older.

All I'm saying is only the people who are personally involved can truly know which option is better in this case and hopefully they are making the decisions with the child in mind. There are worse things than an absent parent. We dont know in detail what else has happened. Talking to them once so far doesnt mean much.

tog redux's picture

Yes, sometimes a bio parent is not fit to be around a child, I don't disagree with that.  But it shouldn't be done just because someone doesn't like the other parent's lifestyle, or the parent has been to prison, etc.  It should be a carefully decided action based on more than just the Stepparent's desire to be the real parent. 

Jcksjj's picture

Agreed. There isn't enough detail for me to know for sure but a couple of things rang familiar enough with me to want to offer my take on it. IMO the phone call was likely facilitated by gma (assuming they were at paternal gmas) and not dad but who knows. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

I'll counter that it shouldn't be a parent's decision on whether the other parent is unfit or not, and whether that other parent's rights should be terminated. That should be on the court, and to a certain extent, the kid.

Look, I'm no stranger to substandard parenting BS. I'm not even a stranger to family drama related to parental rights being terminated. My SSis has 4 biokids that her rights were terminated to. Honestly, I am beyond thankful that the courts terminated those rights because my SSis had ZERO business raising those kids (read my blogs to fully understand that), and my SF thoroughly blamed the system for keeping his grands from him. Had she been given the chance to keep her kids, I have no doubt they would be worse off because my SF would have enabled her BS parenting. It would have destroyed our family in a lot of ways.

The courts don't always get it right, I'll grant, but they are the most impartial system we have. Unfortunately, parents can't be trusted to get it "right" or to do what is best for their kids. Having a kid is risky on all fronts, including when establishing parentage. You get one shot at it, and you need to make sure it's a good one. If it's not, it's unfair to tell a kid "sorry, I chose wrong, and all that love you have for your parent, even if I think they are a deadbeat, needs to be squashed so someone I now think is better can come in and be your new parent". Actually, it's not just unfair, it's cruel. Even if the new partner is 1000x better than the bioparent, that's a crappy predicament to put a kid in.

I don't blame the OP at all for wanting to step up. I don't blame Rags for stepping up, either. I do, however, blame their wives for choosing such poor specimens for fatherhood (provided they are as bad as they are being portrayed) and for these BFs for not being better fathers. Their poor choices put their kids at risk of having serious issues and provided an ample breeding ground for alienation. Sometimes it ends well for the kid, such as Rags' son. Other times, not so much.

Basically, the ends don't justify the means. I can't be okay with parental-sanctioned alienation because they found someone better. Kudos to the new partner for stepping in, but shame on the parents for making poor decisions in the first place. The "better" one doesn't get a redo.

Jcksjj's picture

Obviously this is personal to me but I dont think you can make the assumptions based on the BM making a bad choice as to who the SD is. And yes, some people really are that bad. I say that from a place of acceptance, not anger. It took me a long time to fully accept that my sons dad as is bad is he is and it was painful to get there. Was it a bad choice on my part? Absolutely. But at the same time I just had no clue. I didnt know about personality disorders, I had no experience with pathological liars or how domestic abuse works etc. I didnt know the love bombing and all the too good to be true stuff at the beginning should have been a red flag. And I'm far from the only person hes fooled - hes made a lifestyle of it. For example, he had a very good paying job. Then he quit it and pretended he still had it. Left for work every day, told me stories about work etc. When it was time to pay rent after that we went to the bank, he went in and pretended to get a money order. Then we went back to the apartment and he went into the office and pretended to pay. When we got kicked out a couple months later he threw a huge fit claiming they lost the money order and demanding they check the cameras etc.  Of course I believed him since I had seen him pay, right? Unfortunately all the lies started coming out and his real behavior after I was already pregnant. Like is incredibly common with abusive situations. So did I make a bad choice, yes. But at the same time I also had incredibly crappy luck at being picked by one of the small percent of society that is that bad of a person to be conned by. And I was never taught and in general our society does not teach what to look out for in people like that. Do some research on domestic violence...its not limited to a certain group of people or area of society or something that only happens to people of lower intelligence.

I absolutely would never put my son at risk with him again just because I made a crappy decision. Yes he will have to live with who his bio dad is forever, but no that does not mean that theres no hope left and that he cant have another father figure to actually be a role model. Blanket statement blaming their wives is unfair, the blame for being a crappy parent lies solely on the BD. There is definitely times that the BM is crap themselves and just didnt care, but in those situations I don't think they tend to go on to learn from it and choose better partners. There are plenty of con artists and unfortunately sometimes the truth doesnt come out until it's too late. And if you have never personally dealt with someone like that before it's hard to see sometimes.

lieutenant_dad's picture

I apologize for not making it clearer that I wasn't including abusive relationships in with my narrative. Like with any of these situations, there are outliers where the victims include the parents.

There is a big difference between "abusive parent" and "crappy parent". I'm solely talking about the "crappy parent" side of the equation.

I'm not saying kids can't have parental figures in addition to their bioparents. What I'm saying is that the "better" parent doesn't get to decide that the "crappy" parents should lose their rights to be a parent simply because they have, for lack of a better term, buyer's remorse.

That's why it's called parental RIGHTS and not parental PRIVILEGE. Another adult shouldn't be able to arbitrarily strip you of your rights just because they don't think you are exercising them how you see fit. That's why we have courts and laws. The OP shouldn't push through as hard as possible to strip another person of their rights in order to gain their own just because they don't agree. That doesn't sit well with me at all.

Rags's picture

With the limited information provided as far as the BioDad is concerned... I would be surprised if an adoption attempt would be successful.   Most courts are dedicated to maintaining the relationship between BioParents and their children.  I do not disagree with that premise... baring any additional information.  I do believe that courts should focus on what is best for the children and also need to have the testicular fortitude to make decisions with information specific to each case and not stand on the flawed ground that the parental relationships should be ordered regardless of how crappy a BioParent might be.

Just my opinion.  I am not a Judge.  

For clarity sake... I never pushed my SS's BioDad out of his life.  In fact it was the opposite.  On many occassions I (my wife and I) paid for their share of travel expenses to ensure that SS maintained his contact and relationship with that part of his family.   What we did not do was tolerate manipulation, lies, or for them to jeopardize our family dynamic or relationships.  We were not entirely successful. There were a number of occassions when SS would return home from visitation and ask why we were so mean to that side of his family, why his mom didn't still love his BioDad, etc, etc, etc....  All due to the shit they piled on the kid.

To this day I ask my son if he has spoken with them.  They make no effort and haven't since he turned 18.  He does contact them upon occassion but there is no real substance to their interaction.

It is sad to me that the relationship has not  survived the facts associated with their crappy manipulative behavior.