You are here

New stepparent to a teenage kid with undiagnosed liability(ies)

neskajy's picture

We are not married yet, but planning to soon. He is a little older than me. My family lives on the other side of the planet and there are cultural differences that are present (it is a strengths in my opinion, but can certainly present difficulties as well sometimes). Almost all of his family is here or relatively close, he has a career, a job, a house, and a 17 year old daughter who he raised alone (divorced his wife, fought for custody and eventually got should custody of her). He did not re-marry after until he met me.
Now, I feel like a horrible person, but I am having a hard time emotionally with the daughter. As I mentioned, she is 17, but developmentally she is behind. And only with certain things. I will try to explain in order and to an extent that I know about what has been going on. They divorced when she was almost 2 years old. Even then she was already behind her peers. The older she got, the more it was obvious that she was behind. Her daycare did not want to accept her because they did not know how to deal with her. She was unresponsive, did not talk or play with other children, disengaged and I don't even know what else. He had to fight with that daycare to get her additional support and to keep her there. He had to fight with schools, doctors, etc. all the time. They supposedly had the best pediatrician in town, but that pediatrician somehow failed to recognize that she couldn't hear well. She had 4 surgeries in her ears at the age of 6 or 7 (I forgot) and she finally begun to hear. She was in speech therapy for 10 years. She was in special ed for most of her school years except the last year when she is a regular classes. She is not a brilliant student but she does okay. There were doctors consultations and board meetings and she was never diagnosed with anything that is commonly known (ADHD, Autism etc.) but anyone who ever meets her and spends some time, would notice that something is "off", but what is "off" is unclear,
She doesn't have friends. She doesn't strike any conversations. All of her answers are one-word answers. She constantly plays video games. She is not interested in doing anything active, going anywhere (it is rare that she will actually want to go do something), she doesn't like learning things like cooking, cleaning etc. She was not made to do any of those things for the longest time, so now the extent of what she will do is microwave food. She did learn to put her laundry in the washing machine and press the button...she can sleep. She showers. All of these things took a lot of effort on her father's part, because although she is capable (and I now believe that she is), those are the things she prefers not to do. She needs EXTREMELY detailed instructions of how to do something because she lacks an insight or common sense and won't figure things out on her own or learn by observation (or will just pretend like she has no clue how to do something - that happens too, which annoys the crap out of her father and me to be honest).

Well, so the thing is that she lives with us. Or, rather, I live with them now. The mother is out of the picture. It is extremely unlikely that she will be out of the house any time soon. In fact, I feel like she might be with us for a very VERY long time and I try not to think about it much, because then I question why did did this to myself (signed up for a step-mother role). I love my soon to be husband. he is a great guy. I think he will be an awesome father to our child (I am expecting, he is thrilled, she wants happy about it and said "I am not ready"), but I don't like her. It is not even that I don't like her per se, because she has never done anything BAD to anyone. But I find it extremely difficult having this 17 year old in the house, who never really talks much, sits on the couch all day playing video games, has very poor social skills, doesn't show emotions, doesn't have friends or do anything that a 17 year old would typically want to do etc. etc. And I fear that it will never change and there will always be this presence of someone like a "roommate" who is very odd and it makes me feel very uncomfortable.
She likes me in her own way. She tries to show it in her own way (like come up to me, hug me like a 5 year old and say "I love you"), but I always feel weird responding to those attempts, because for one, I actually don't love her. I never will LOVE her. She is not my child. I respect her, I will never be mean to her, she is my husband's child and is important to him, but that is where it ends for me. I have a hard time connecting to someone who can't connect with others.
I can't talk to him about any of it because he is extremely sensitive when it comes to her and is very protective. And my family is far...So I often find myself at home with her alone (my husband works very long hours and mostly nights, so he sleeps during the day and is gone at night) and it is hard for me. We are not even married yet, but I am already thinking about how it will probably get worse when i get a real feel of the entire situation....It is one thing to be a parent: you are bound to love your child no matter what and how they are, but I don't have that attachment to her and she is not really a child any more...

I don't even know what kind of help I am seeking here. I guess I just want to somehow feel happy despite the circumstances...

onthefence2's picture

My sd was very similar, so I know kind of what you're dealing with. She did not have delays, but was actually advanced academically but never really rose to standards she could have. She was just sort of blah. I will never forget when we were playing in the front yard, and we saw our neighbor's cat get hit by a van, and I was SO upset and she was just watching me like I was weird. She showed no emotion at all. We never figured out what it was, because her parents didn't want to shell out the $2500 for evaluations, but she has struggled. She is now 23 and is on her own. Her mom made her move out so she couldn't influence her younger siblings, and she moved into the basement of a family friend. When she was moving to another state (where her dad and I still live) a group of church friends helped her pack and clean up and there were used tampons just randomly strewn about the place among other trash and junk! She then moved in with a few roommates and survived (well, they survived her!) The only reason she has people in her life is because her mom is very social and they have lots of church friends. Now I am an introvert, so I know that's not it. It's more than that. It's weird. I'm guessing she has asperger's, but I *know* that her dad is a psychopath, so it's possible that there is something in the upbringing that was missing. I don't know. I guess all I can offer is encouragement that even though all four of her step/parents thought she would never move out on her own, she did. But her dad is going to have to put something in place to practically force her out because she is too comfy there to just decide to go on her own.

notasm3's picture

I am an STAUNCH believer that special needs children/young adults needs to be encouraged to live their lives to the fullest.

I've seen friends with Down Syndrome Children, CP (mental and physical) children, etc with severe disabilities. The children who are allowed to live as independently as possible and have jobs (no matter how minor) are so much better off than the ones who are just sheltered.

notasm3's picture

I agree - I've seen how happy and content disabled adults are who have a purpose in life.

In other cases where the parents kept them at home totally sheltered the adult child was DEVASTATED when the last parent died and their world turned upside down. Even when siblings were willing to take the person in - the now adult child just could not cope with change and was miserable.

neskajy's picture

Her father had 17 years to form an attachment to her and to love her. Plus she is his daughter. I don't think it is fair to even expect me to LOVE a 17 year old I never had any connection with ever before in my life. I feel like it is perfectly reasonable that I respect her, i wish her well, and I treat her well. I don't have to LOVE her. I am pregnant with my own and I would like if i said I can love her because I am starting to understand what a love for a child is - there is one growing inside of me. I care about her just like I care about people in general. And she is important to my husband, so I respect that.

She had a lot of evaluations in her life (according to her father) and at this point when she finally can bathe herself, dress herself, go to school and get grades above Ds (she does okay but struggles with some classes and she always gets extra help at school or she wouldn't have made it this far). With my husband's crazy work schedule, I think he is done evaluation her. After 17 years of trying to find out what is up, I think he is tired too and I don't blame him.

So far there is no independence in sight for her in my opinion. She refused to learn to drive and said she wasn't ready. So this was the first school year her father said she has to take a bus to school because it is very hard for him to take her to school and back every day when he needs to go to work at night and needs to go to sleep in the morning...Well it was such a disaster! The school bus stops very close to the house, but she wasn't very happy about the idea and her grandmother wasn't either. It escalated to the point that grandmother insisted on taking her to school and back every day. And she has been... So I feel like some of SDs behaviors have been reinforced by the family as well. For a very long time their only hope for her was that she can one day talk, now their only expectation is that she finishes school. That is all they want. But she does have 2 arms and 2 legs that function perfectly well. She can learn to do things like cook simple meals for herself, clean up her mess etc. But now I feel like I am the only one interested in her knowing those things and it is expected of ME to help her with it. And to be very honest, I have no desire to and no energy to be extremely detailed about how to clean a mirror for example with a 17 year old. I have no desire to teach her how to dress, how to brush her long hair every day several times a day, so they look good etc.
As for the social skills....I think she needs serious help in this department or she will struggle a lot in her personal and professional life. I don't know if she will be able to go to college, although her father is convinced that she can. And I certainly hope so too. For her and for us. If she goes to college, he already told her he will pay for everything and she doesn't have to work during college and she can stay with us to save rent money. So that will be another several years. And like I said, I just hope she can go to college and finish. What will happen after that or in case she can't or doesn't want to go to college - who knows...

Indigo's picture

Sorry, this girl-child sounds as if she will be with you for a very long time. Even if she "launches," DH will most likely continue to support her until he dies and then afterwards through his will. He understands she is different. He probably wants her to maximize her skills/abilities and live independently before she is 30. However, he most likely realizes that she will need more life-time support than more traditional children.

neskajy's picture

That is exactly how I feel and what I think. And I am just trying to figure out how to be happy and "detach" myself (or rather emotionally protect myself) from having another person living with us possibly forever and be nice and be happy.
I never thought I would date someone with a child, let alone a teenager, and on top of it with some issues that we can't even really identify (I personally think she has some mild form of autism). I never was prepared to be a step parent and a step parent to a child like this. It is not something we learn at school. I did not realize the extent of it all before I recently moved in and it is now a reality check for me. I just need to know how to cope and not to be evil unloving step mother (I am not that, but I can see how she or he or both may start feeling that way if I am not very involved). And most of all, I don't want any expectations put on me such as to become her mother, to teach her things, to replace whatever it is that they can't give her because I am at home more etc. She is 17, going on 18 and it is not my responsibility. I strongly don't feel like it is and I did not sign up for THIS role. I will support my husband, I will be nice to her, I will respect her as his daughter and I strongly believe that is all that should be expected of me. The rest of it, I feel, they need to figure out for her (although I have a strong gut feeling it won't happen or won't happen soon and it makes me sad). I don't want to be the nagging one telling them how much she needs to be re-evaluated, how much she needs some counseling and to get help with social skills, how much she needs vocational rehab and independence. I think they like to think of her as she is like everyone else even though they know she is not.

She wasn't happy to find out we are going to have a baby. She said she wants ready for it and I guess she felt like she was going to be replaced. I have no idea how things will be when the baby is born. I just know that I will love my baby like crazy and I don't know how I will feel about the rest of it all later when I have my own child... Truly, I feel sometimes like I did not really know what I was getting myself into.
Everything could be a lot worse and I do realize it. She could be a troubled teen giving me attitude, doing drugs and acting out. She is none of that (thank goodness!). But the issues that she does have do not at all FEEL easy for me to deal with at all.

Indigo's picture

I'm sure that you had a 'fantasy-reality' where it was you & DH and the new baby with SD out of the house. Instead, it's DH, special SD, you and your baby. Nuances of dynamic.

Many folk on this board had this same realization. BM dies, remarries, goes to jail and suddenly the situation which was reasonable at EOWE (every other weekend) becomes a full-time addition to the new household. Add a special needs child, and you've got your hands full.

BTW, "feeling" that you're in something that you didn't anticipate is normal. Lots of folks turn around one day and say "wait a minute" this is not what I signed on for ... and then they plan their exit strategies. Others gather information and FACTS, not impressions from DH regarding diagnoses, tests, further testing options, life-plan, etc. It's a lot of work either way.

Good luck.

neskajy's picture

There is no way her dad will let her go to a boarder college. I don't think she would have lasted at one too - she has no life skills. Someone still needs to cook and clean for her. Not to mention paying bills, rent etc.

Yes i wish i had my own outlet here and someone to talk to other than this forum

neskajy's picture

There is no way her dad will let her go to a boarder college. I don't think she would have lasted at one too - she has no life skills. Someone still needs to cook and clean for her. Not to mention paying bills, rent etc.

Yes i wish i had my own outlet here and someone to talk to other than this forum

neskajy's picture

neskajy's picture

little wing's picture

Has any progress been made? I am in a very similar situation and am desperately seeking communication with those in similar places in life.