You are here

ADHD meds cause attitude problems in teens?

The impossible Girl's picture

First, apologies if this is a frequent topic. I have not had a chance to read other posts yet. I have to get back to moving in my house. But i wanted to ask this question real quick for anyone dealing with ADHD medication.
I would have to look up the name to the one she takes as i have forgotten, but for a little over a year now my SD13 (almost 14) has been on ADHD medication. They started bc she made average grades in school amd sometimes Ds and Fs. She has trouble focusing and has all the signs of adhd. So ever since she started taking it i noticed she is very withdrawn and holds on to anger. She used to get over things fairly quickly but now if she is angry at the start of the day, it seems to last all day. Now a few things happened around the same time so it is tough to say what the cause is. For instance, around the same time she started the super rude behavior, we were in a custody battle with DHs ex. And SD is of course going through puberty which just started two years ago. She was turning 13 and i know that has its issues. But i also read online that the meds can cause children to have behavior changes and become withdrawn. I asked my hubby to share it with the doctor at their last visit but he didnt. He disagrees and thinks the medication has zero side effects. My step daughter and her mother wanted her to take the medication during the summer while she is with us for two months but my husband said he would just play it by ear. So far, she has not needed the medicine and the Doctor thought it was good to let her decide as well. She feels strange when not on it but so far everything is good. She has been behaving as u would expect a teen to act but not over that. Her temper is normal for a whole week now which is not something we have gotten in a year. I wonder if it has to do with the medicine or maybe it is bc she is separated from her mom and that family. I know they hate us (they said as much)and i get the feeling from my SD that they instigate problems bc the first day she would come to our house she would always be pissed at her dad and bringing up stuff from his past or just being really rude. Then the next day she would be fairly normal but still have an attitude. Now since she has only been with us and not them, everything is cool. Has anyone noticed mood changes with ADHD medication or is it all in my head? I am tempted to encourage her to start the medication again so i can see, but i also am enjoying the conflict-free home. I hope i am not jinxing it right now. Lol...

Well they did some test to see if she qualified for adhd and she did. Honestly, I was not for the medication, but as a SM I dont have much say. DH has adhd too, I just hope my daughter does not end up having the same challenges. Sad thing is, SD's grades have remained virtually the same. She told me that she just didnt want to do her work. Her mom will help her at the end of the week to complete all missed assignments, so there does not seem to be a point for her to do them in class.

No you didnt miss anything, not really. Except that I am the only one who thinks she acts differently. My DH already saw the doctor and didnt mention it to her. I didn't want to push it with him, he can do as he wishes, but I was just curious if anyone else experienced this.

NoWireCoatHangarsEVER's picture

mY STEPkid age 16, a girl, got put on vyvanse in feb and I think it has changed her for the better. I really do. She just now made a/b HONOR roll. She was a real mess before she was put on it.