You are here

Shocking behaviour

anonymous1306's picture

I've been with my other half a year, we each have our own daughters (mine is 5, his is 2 1/2) and i'm struggling to deal with his daughters tantrums 24/7. If you tell her no she whinges, cries, throws a tantrum. We have no less than 15 tantrums a day. Yesterday she decided she wasn't going to eat her dinner, and twice i had to get her and put her back up the table which she decided to cry the whole time while asking for a treat. Her dad wanted to give in by saying can my daughter have a treat (to which i said no, as she hadn't eaten all her dinner either - although she only left like 2 potatoes). The only reason he didnt cave her to her was because i put my foot down. He then tried to put her to bed, which she drank her milk and then just got up which he let her despite her being in an awful mood because she was tired. Although his excuse for everything is that she is tired (although her mood is always like it). She runs away when we're out in public, and he doesn't tell her off which is all well and good until she runs into the road and gets hit by a car. He'll get her out of bed if she's 'not ready' to go to sleep and my life revolves around the WANTS of a 2 year old. Was i just lucky with my daughter that she didn't tantrum because i was strict from day 1 or am i just oversensitive and this is normal 2 year old behaviour?! 

Kes's picture

No this does not fall within the category of "terrible twos" at all.   Children of any age respond to firmness and consistency - that is no doubt why you were "lucky" with your own daughter - your partner is training his 2 yr old to be a little tyrant. Perhaps he needs to read some parenting books or watch a few episodes of "Supernanny" or something.  

ESMOD's picture

It does sound like fairly typical behavior for a child of that age. 

And.. one thing I would point out is that you may have an outdated view on eating behavior.  It actually is not necessary for a child to "eat everything on their plate"... by forcing that.. you are training the child to ignore their natural hunger/satiated signals.. so if she was full and left two potatoes???  that is actually just fine and if she is done then she is done.. no need to sit her there to force her to eat.

Now, of course, that also means that she doesn't need a treat at the end either.. that is also a bad habit to get into.

But.. a kid being a bit overtired and cranky.. all can be normal.. and can be caused by the changing environments.. his place.. your place.. mom's place etc.. and maybe a lack of consistency in sleep schedules..napping etc.

anonymous1306's picture

I don't force her to eat if she's not hungry. I meant my little girl left 2 potatos whereas his daughter had 2 bites of broccoli and then kicked off. I also don't force her to eat anything she doesn't like but when i know she does like it then there's no excuse for her to want something else after. If she's not hungry then she's not hungry but she can't expect anything else. I also forgot to mention the time he went out specifically to get her pizza which she wanted and then didn't eat when he got back! We also live together so it's only mums place and our place.

ESMOD's picture

still.. young and switching up can throw kids off their game a little.  sounds like your SO needs to up his game a bit though... 

I was confused about the food thing.. sorry.. but I do think parents need to tread carefully when making battles over meals.. sometimes we would offer one alternative.. and make a PBJ sandwich instead.. but otherwise.. kids eat what is served.. or they can leave the table and wait until the next meal time to eat again.. of course.. you could also set her plate aside so that when she whines about being hungry in an hour.. you can heat it up for her then...

But generally.. kids will end up eating when they are hungry enough.

Letti.R's picture

Two year olds can be monsters, but what you are describing  seems excessive and abnormal - to me.
Your OH really is not parenting well or doesn't seem to be making any effort to address her behaviour.

Sorry to say but I wouldn't put up with this.
Either he gets his kid under control or he needs to become an ex.
This is going to get tiring and affect your child too.
So not worth it.