You are here

Daughters & financial help

AVR1962's picture

I have 2 grown daughters, 29 & 25, both married with families. My 29 year old is a bit of a manipulator and not always truthful. Younger daughter wants everyone to get along.

25 yr old was layed off from her job and because of it she was able to collect unemployment and since her son wasn't going to need day care this actually put them in a better finacial situation than when she was working.

Her husband, also working, has been trying to get into the military and is in Basic training right now. I am real happy to see they are trying to better themselves. 25 yr old decided while her husband was in Basic and then school after that she didn't want to be by herself so she planned all these trips in the time he was gone. One of the trips she planned was to come to visit us in Germany and we were going to do a cruise.

I got this call yesterday saying that 29 yr old is begging her sister to visit her for 2 weeks and that her bio dad would pay for the tickets, 25 yr old says she is broke and has no money. One of her courses with college might not be covered because of some technicality and she doesn't know how she is going to pay for that.

Given that info I cna see the writing on the wall, if my daughter and grandson are going to visit and do this cruise like planned I guess we'll be footing the bill for it all. This was never mentioned so did she just assume?

It is kind of not setting well. 25 yr old went to visit the sister that uses and abuses and manipulates her, part of the reason for getting out of the area she lives. If older daugter can't control her and younger daughter gets mad there's always a fight yet younger daughter keeps going back like something is going to change but never does.

While I think it is great the kids are trying to better themselves and my daughter now has the opportunity to work on her Bachelor's degree while being unemployed, what I see is she is traveling everywhere and now with the last sitaution I wonder who is footing the bill for all of this?

I have been giving my daughter and her husband $125 a month which was originally supposed to pay for their Internet/cable pakage so I could have Interent contact with them. She then said she could do without the Internet, that they needed to use that money to kmake their house pmts and I agreed this would be okay. I have been doing this for over a year. Now someone esle is living in their home while they are gone, the people are not paying rent. Daughter says they can't afford to pay rent because they are having a house built but they are paying their own utilities and caring for the place in exchange for a place to stay.

So, I am paying $125 a month towards their house which someone else is lving in while my daughter is traveling all over the country living on unemployment and by the looks of things if she is going to come here as originally planned I will have to foot the bill for this trip too. I am feeling a little used myself at this point and just wondering if it might be time to let daughter stand on her own 2 feet.

AVR1962's picture

Talked to husband we came up with a plan to give daughter a limited amount of time this would continue, it has to stop and she has to become responsible for herself.