You are here

Can we get BM evaluated by a psychotherapist? California

Crazyness's picture

Hello,

I am a bm and a sm of my sd7 which I am very worried about. Its a long story and Ill try to make it short. Dh is in the process of child support modification also seeking more time with sd. BM has left us evidence that shows that she is mentally unstable. We have emails and voicemails in which she sounds very angry and using explisitive words towards DH and I. Does anyone on here know if we can get her to be evaluated by a psychotherapist? DH will be contacting his attorney regarding this but I'd love to find out if anyone on here would know more about that or has gone thru that.

BM fills up my stepdaughter's head with bad stuff. SD7 knows wayyy too much for her age and her mom has made her have anxiety and SD has mentioned that "her conscience is telling her that she will die at young age" and just stuff like that really scares me and DH!! I am really worried about that little girl and hope we win more time so we can eliminate the damage her mother creates. The only thing is that bm knows about the court system and she is squeeky clean, no dui's/drugs/physical abuse but that Dh has evidence of her anger and bad language maybe can help our case?

SD is too good for her...also sd has a skin condition since she was 2 and it only dissapears if she uses special lotions and meds. Her mother is a dirty and lazy and doesnt take care of this problem. So we have photos from 2 years ago and now that shows theres no improvement. Can we use this against her too?

NeverendingFightmare's picture

I lived in California and went through a move-away case with my ex for my now 5 YO daughter.

Psych evals are expensive and the court does not pay for these. You can always request one, but if the judge accept it, then you might be looking at a 4k bill. 

My custody hearing in California for the move away cost around 10k. I did not opt for the psych eval because once my lawyer told me that, I did not want to be liable for that extra money. And you have to have real cause for requesting one, or it will look bad for you and actually work aganist you. Since BM has no record of any kind, it will be reaching to request one just based on some angry voicemails (even though they piss you off to no end). The court won't take that as being a unfit mother. 

About the comment she made on dying. She is a school aged child. She could have picked this up at school. My daughter has also said "OMG, I'M GONNA DIE". I don't know where she got it from, but most likely PreK or TV. That really can't be proved to directly come from the BM. Since it can't be proved, I would leave this one alone.

Photos of skin condition would not work either. Again, she could say that that particular medication did not work. How will the judge know otherwise? 

Things to present in front of the judge have to be so concrete that she could not deny otherwise. Actual abuse to the child or neglect or evidence of her being an alcoholic or addict. Otherwise, it will be a he said/she said and most likely, you will lose. 

Sad to say, this is how things go. It is frustrating and I too get constantly berated and bullied and accused from the BM of DH. But, in the end, people that psycho will find ways to talk their way out of it. 

I would honestly just hold on to all of that knowledge. Keep it in a binder. Maybe one day, she will do something that is real evidence.