You are here

Trying something new

Wicked stepmo.'s picture
Forums: 

I have 2 stepdaughters age 12 and 14. I have been in thier life in this role for 2 years. I have one son Age 12.  SO and I have been friends since we were kids, we now all live together in my home.  SO and I couldn't be happier with each other. Over the last 2 years I have invested a great deal into building a relationship with his girls. I have always made it a point to treat them no differently than my own child. SO having primary custody has welcome the help and always expresses his gratitude.  Unfortunately,  as of recent BM has decided to become more involved in thier lives. Which at first SO and I were excited for the girls because they have always wanted a relationship with her. Unfortunately,  as time has passed she has not changed and her sole purpose of her new found relationship with the girls was out of jealousy that they had developed a relationship with me. She has forged to create conflict through parental alienation,  using the girls desire to have a relationship with her as leverage for thier loyalty. It started small and has grown significantly. From her berating them for texting me. "Oh, you like her so much, then she can be your mother." To now her telling the girls that the reason she hates me and they should to is because I bad mouth her all the time. Because I have never said a bad word about her to the girls because I dont want to hurt them. She even goes as far as to tell them that I do it through messages to her. Trust me when I say I keep all contact with to a minimum because she is borderline and likes to argue and stir up conflict when thier isnt any.  Unfortunately,  over the last 2 months this has caused them to turn my house upside down. They show up after a visit making it abundantly clear they do not want to be here. BM has also begun allowing these young ladies to live a lawless lifestyle at her home, purchasing them clothes that barely cover thier underwear,  allowing them to speak and behave any way they choose, profanity is allowed and encouraged as cute and funny. They speak to thier father by calling him by his first name and screaming in face if he tries to redirect thier behavior.  Because I am experienced working with troubled youth I use behavior management to address the issues instead of trying to discuss it, because it only provokes am argument which is what they want so they can use gaslighting to try and confuse the situation. When thier is an issue a just post a rule to address with specific consequences for violating that rule. This way it is being addressed to the household instead of one specific person and it sets a boundary.

Unfortunately the girls telling thier mother about my parenting style has lead her to convince them that me doing so is abusive. So now they have this anger and hatred directed at me. I cannot say anything even if it's just trying to have a conversation without the oldest jumping down my throat and telling me how I mistreat her.   

The reason I have chose to disengage is because I am human, I do have feelings for the girls. It does cause hurt and pain and I need to be there for my kid too, who gets lost in the shuffle because he is so laid back and easy going.  I think I finally decided to waive the white flag when the oldest looked me straight in the face and said to me the only one that loves her or does anything for her is her mother. My jaw dropped and this immediately after I spent $200 to take her and her friend skiing.  Her mother doesnt provide thier clothes, medical care, go to school meetings. I pay for and transport them to all thier extracurricular activities. I have taken them to concerts, broadway shows, on vacations and have included them in everything.  I have had to purchase multiple sets of clothes because thier mother doesnt buy them any, so they take what I buy and leave it at her house, knowing out of necessity they will get more.

I can only best describe my current situation as being in an emotionally abusive relationship and to maintain my own mental health I have regain control. The only way I can see it working is to step back since I am the intended target and let dad parent and provide. I will still be there as a support for him, the girls are in counseling. I feel it's best I focus on my relationship and being a parent to my son. 

Sparkl3s's picture

Disengage don't give them a chance to use anything against you. Be polite and friendly as you want but don't engage. 
You might be the most equipped adult to make a difference but it doesn't matter if the mom and dad don't care. Take care of yourself, your marriage and your child. Focus your time, money and energy on those things and let the chips fall where they may. Close the bank/atm of wicked stepmo. 

Wicked stepmo.'s picture

Dad is a great father. When we met he was in a state of hopelessness in what to do. He has always been open to advice,  suggestions and any help. I also had to get over the guilt that by stepping back I was abandoning him. He is a good and kind man. But he is also a man and a father. I dont blame him or get upset when he doesnt see what I see,  he is so hopeful that it's just a teenage thing and will go away. Unfortunately at least with the oldest, I am not so hopeful. I have always had a hard time relating to her, even though I really tried. But as an observer her behavior goes beyond the normal teenage egocentric behavior.  She lacks empathy,  lying and gaslighting are natural for her and the only time I have ever seen her show what looks like emotion or appreciation towards her father is right after he bought her something.  Then she goes right back to calling him by his first name and disrespecting him. Even the counselor has said she has no desire to change.  I have to let him be to figure his relationship with her out for himself.  I have been being disgustingly nice to her even when she is moody. I'm not going to lie I get some personal satisfaction from it because it irritates her because she has so much animosity towards me right now.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

Read up on parental alienation. That is exactly what BM is doing to the girls. You are right, for your protection disengaging is the way go.

Wicked stepmo.'s picture

I am very familiar with parental alienation that's why I was careful to listen to the girls when they would tell me things in the beginning that thier mother would say or do without reaction so they felt comfortable coming to me. Thats also why I had SO put them in counseling.  When this is over they are going to be very broken, and I wish it didnt have to happen, but I am not going to walk into a battle I'm destined to lose. I not only have to strategically find a way to coexist with my SK, I also have to change my behavior to not allow for reinforcing BMs behavior also. I have been the only constant in thier life as far as who to go to to have thier needs met. SO is a typical guy who is clueless about girls. BM is unreliable and has never provided for them  she is the same age as me and cannot get her life together.  She makes very poor life choices and repeats them over and over. She has 6 kids by 5 different fathers and just had another. The kids do not have thier own room to sleep in at thier mothers home they share one with her. They sleep on the couch at her BF house. They have been together 4 years and has the room but neither of them have even bought a mattress to put in the rooms, and she has the money plus every year she rushes to claim the kids and gets $8,000-$10,000 back in her refund.  SO gets angry but has learned to pick and choose his battles. . They both have thier own rooms in my house furnished because I have always wanted them to feel a part of this home.  So it's like being stabbed when I'm told I dont do anything for them and mom and her BF are so much better.  Now that I have stepped back mom will get bored she isnt causing the uproar she wants she will lose interest in them again. When we first started dating she didnt see SK for 6 months. 

Wicked stepmo.'s picture

I don't look at disengaging as a bad thing. All it is, is establishing new boundaries around yourself.  Which is natural, we have different boundaries already for different relationships.  Some relationships are toxic especially when you are dealing with adolescents and young adults.  If it was your own child and you tried with no success to address a substance abuse problem, one of the first things any professional would advise is to implement tough love and not engage in behavior that enables. Disengagement is necessary sometines and appropriate if it comes from a place of good intentions. 

MissTexas's picture

You are right to pull back for your own sanity.

These kids are THEIR PARENTS' responsibility. I admire your contribution and ambition. I think we all had that from the beginning. We wanted a "familly." Unfortunately, when you're dealing with BM's, and their kids, there is no "normal" anymore.

You must do what is best for YOU. Stop doing anything for them, as it will be undermined, fault finding, and evil. Nothing will be appreciated.

As my uncle used to say, "If you don't ever learn to say "NO" they'll screw your eyeballs out onto your cheekbones and keep grinding." S

The way I see it you have two choices. (1.) Buy the Sam's size Vaseline to make the screwing more comfortable or (2.) Save yourself the misery.