You are here

Seeking advice from other blended families

trytrytry's picture
Forums: 

I just joined this site because, at this point, I want advice from other blended families. My wife and I were married 2 years ago. I have 3 children between the ages of 10 and 13. B/G/B. My wife has 2 girls between the ages of 6 and 10. We met 5 years ago and fell in love and got married 3 years later. Our problems began and grew steadily worse after we moved in together. Neither of us probably realized what it was actually going to be like to create a 5 child blended family. My kids are involved in a lot of activities, many of them sports. It takes up a LOT of time. Before we got married I tried talking to my future wife about this. She replied "I dont care if you are gone exery night, as long as you come home to me'. She said that, but I give her a pass for saying that because, again, neither of us knew what it would be like. In any case, all of my kids activities began to weigh heavily on my wife. She felt like supporting my kids was taking time away from being a Mom to her own kids. As the months went on, it got worse and worse. More resentment, more anger. My wife came to view it all as way too much time. Not only did she not want to attend, she wanted me to not attend as well. She did not like it that I'd go and my ex-wife would also be there. She viewed it as me 'spending time on my ex family'. I should mention, at this point, we had no issues with bringing the kids together. They all got along great. They were pretty respectful to us. Easy going. Nobody could believe how well they got along, with each other, or with us.
A few months ago she said she'd had enough and she moved into an apartment. She filed for divorce, then put it on hold. She is telling me the only way she will get back together with me is if she is the number one priority. Where 'the guy does whatever the girl wants and the girl takes care of him'. The problem is, to do that, I feel like I would be not supporting my kids. They very much look forward to seeing their Dad at their stuff. I have read books about stepcoupling. I see how it is very different than regular parenting. But I fear that to get back together, I will end up missing half my kids stuff, which is very important to them. I love my wife dearly, I get along with her daughters well, I desperately do NOT want us to end up getting divorced. If anything, I look at this time as temporary. My youngest child is 10. I told her I know it is a lot now, but, as the kids get older, each year, and move out of these summer and weekend activities and into high school, the impacts will not be there. Not every weekend sports tournaments anyway.

I don't want my marriage to end over this. When my wife and I are alone, just us, we are very much in love. When we are with just us and her daughters it is OK. I am positive that if the kids were grown and did not have the daily impact they do now we would be happy. I can see us having decades of happiness. The big problem for her is MY kids and the attention they take. My wife has told me she loves me. She married me. She did not marry this former life. And that she will 'put up with them' until they graduate high school. But if I can't agree to making her the number 1 priority all the time, then she's going to file for divorce.

All advice greatly appreciated!

trytrytry's picture

Joint custody in both cases. I have my kids 7 out of 14 nights. My wife has hers 8 out of 14. Most nights match so we either have 5 kids or no kids.

Willow2010's picture

Your wife is being unreasonable. You have kids. You have an obligation as a father to raise those kids FIRST. (Most do not agree with me here but oh well.)

I feel that most people should not remarry until their kids are at least almost out of HS.

Can you talk her into living apart until kids are much older?

blayze's picture

You say that your kids are involved in a LOT of activities. How many nights/weekends each? What percentage of games do you attend? What do you do after the games? And most importantly, do you ever make Wifey your priority (i.e. date night) even when there's a kid activity going on?

Because I don't believe that it makes you a good dad to be at *EVERY* game. The important ones? Yes. But if your life revolves around your children's activities, what are you really teaching them? I could never be married to a parent like that. These aren't even high school games. Your kids are young...they don't need a cheering section to watch their every move.

Edit: If your ex wife is there, you don't *have to* be there. Have her take pictures/record it if you all get along. One parent is more than enough to watch kids play. Sorry to offend those in the "kid's first" camp. My child playing games will never be more important than my marriage.

PokaDotty's picture

I agree with blayze. I'm in a blended family situation and my SDs have a lot of activities but DH and/or we don't go to every single activity. I'm going on 8 years married and the SKs are now ages 10 - 15 (all girls). It can work but you have to find a balance. Your wife is telling you she doesn't feel like a priority to you. That's a huge flag that needs addressing and maybe counseling would be the best way to address it.

I'm curious, when you are not attending one of the many events, what is the contact like with the kids and BM when not in your custody?

trytrytry's picture

The contact with kids and BM is fine. She attends everything. BM and I do not get along to the extent BM would let mw know how things were going, would take pictures, videotape, or anything like that. If I did not attend I'd basically call my kids after and ask how it went and get the update from them.

Unfreakingreal's picture

blayze - from the OPs description of how he treats his wife, it sounds like she is just jealous of the time he is spending with his kids. It is a natural emotion. As a SM, I went many years feeling that jealousy and feeling as if I wasn't a priority. It wasn't until I stopped acting like a spoiled brat that I realized that my husband needed that connection with his kids and I was in no position to ask him to sever it. Now, we all get along great. My SD is almost 14 and she loves me, my relationship with my SS21 was a little tumultuous because he turned out to be a bit of a dickhead, but recently we made up and it's water under the bridge. DH and I have been together almost 14 years. It takes a lot of effort to make a blended family work but BOTH parties have to be realistic about their expectations.

blayze's picture

I agree with you on the realistic expectations. Especially in step families. It just seems to me that there's more to it than what OP sees...not saying he's wrong, just that he may not see it from his wife's point of view. I don't understand how a woman could go from "I don't care if you're gone every night" to "I'm getting an apartment and I want a divorce." Something must have happened. And since she throws in the part about spending time with the old family, I'm guessing that something happened with the EX coupled with Daddy doing everything to make his kids happy by breaking his back (and his marriage) to make it to every game.

Trust me, I understand the jealousy. But his wife wasn't jealous at first. So what changed?

Unfreakingreal's picture

Ok, I guess my next question would be on the nights when there are NO kids, are you also running out to games and such? Because I would think that if there are 7 nights with NO kids, it is a perfect opportunity to reignite the marriage and dedicate some quality time to your wife so that she doesn't feel like a second fiddle.
I agree that any woman that is asking you to choose between her and your kids needs to get a foot up her ass and sent packing. It's not a fair thing to ask and I highly doubt if YOU gave her that type of ultimatum she would be keen to drop her daughters and be off with you.

trytrytry's picture

Yes on some of the nights that we do not have kids I am also attending their games and such. Those nights are particular problems. Regarding your last commnet, when I ask her if the same rules will apply to her daugthers she says no and the reason is because she's the Mom, and it's more important for her, as a Mom, to be there for her daughters.

Unfreakingreal's picture

Oh the "I'M DA MOM" statement makes me wanna hurl. Typical BM words. She's got a particularly large set of balls my friend. Turn that around and say "Well I am THE DAD and as a DAD I need to be there for MY children." Do not let her get away with this, you will resent her, you will lose your kids in the process and you'll end up getting divorced anyway.

PokaDotty's picture

Unless it's a big deal event, I totally understand why your wife would be upset. She's getting a kid free night, why wouldn't she want to spend time with her husband?

trytrytry's picture

During the baseball season (Mid May through Mid July) it is about 2-3 nights per week. No weekends. Basketball season is particularly nuts. 8-9 weekends in a row. They are all 1 day of the weekend, not all of it. Usually just Saturday. Sometimes only half of the day. But, still, duly noted, it's too much.

I have always attended all of the games, but am coming to understand that is not necessary. And can't happen if I want to stay married.

As for making time for wifey, other than work and going to my kids stuff, that is all I do. We have taken multiple trips every year. We do not have kids one night every weekend and we always spend it only with each other. Almost always going out to nice dinners, nights on the town, or sometimes just staying in and watching movies. We talk and talk and talk. We really hang out only with each other. I do nothing else other than spend time with my wife and kids. My thought has been, I understand that the kid stuff is overwhelming. But, there is also a ton of time with just me and her. Each week. I look at that and think sometimes the kids take time, but, look at all we do together just ourselves. However, she does not see it that way. I should mention that we do attend all of her daugthers activities. It is not to the extent as my kids sports, but, there are dance recitals and concerts and choirs. We never miss one, nor would I ever think of asking her to miss one. And I understand it's not equal due to the fact that my kids have much more, but, still, it is hard to say to one set of kids we cant make your stuff for no particular reason when they see us making every single one of the other kids stuff.

Unfreakingreal's picture

Then I am sorry - your wife is selfish and unreasonable. Especially if you have never missed ONE of her daughters events. That is outright cruel and if the kids get along now, that will end as soon as they see a divide or as soon as they feel that your "new" family is taking precedence over them. You are in a tough spot but as a wife, BM and SM, with 5 kids between my DH and myself, (him 3, me 2) I do not think what she is asking of you is in any way fair or logical.
I thought you were running out 7 nights in a row to watch practice, but one night a week? No, it's not right that she would ask that of you.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

You have 1 night a week with your wife. I take it you work the regular hours. So I'm going to guess you spend about 4 hours (if you get home at 6 and you guys stay out until 10) together at most on that one night a week.

Yeah, put in those terms, that's not enough to sustain a marriage.

trytrytry's picture

No, that is not correct. I have much more than one night per week. If I could walk through a calendar I'd say January-March there is basketball. This makes it so there is 1 weekend day, usually Saturday,that I'd be gone to a basketball tournament, IF I went to them all. All 6 other days and nights I would be home.

From mid-May to mid-July there is baseball. On a very busy week I'd be gone 3 weeknights. All other nights, including both weekend days and nights, I'd be home.

In Sept-Oct my son plays pop warner football. That takes about 3 hours for 6 Saturdays. All 7 nights and weekends I'd be home.

Any months not mentioned I'm home all the time.

hangingbyathread6's picture

My situation is very similar, I have three, my DH has two and we have primary custody. In the winter...from October- May we have four kids who play hockey, two who travel. One who is a varsity cheerleader. It's a tad busy. In the spring, we have three who play baseball.

So I know where both you and your wife are coming from. Running after five kids involved in sports, who of course love both of us to be there can be exhausting. My DH was always at every game for my SSs unless there was a conflict with both playing at the same time. BM in our case is not very supportive. However, when DH and I were alone, things were wonderful.It came to the point where I too was resentful, of all the time spent running to this game and that game, this practice and that practice, even when it wasn't our weekend. I had a talk with my DH and it took him some time to realize, and some positive affirmation from other parents, that it is NOT necessary to be at EVERY SINGLE GAME, nor practice. We go to a vast majority of them, and if they are important games we go even on our off weekend, otherwise, we have as a couple put our foot down to our respective exes that they must get the kids to practice and/or games on their parenting time. I know as a parent you want to watch your kids play, and the excitement, but also, your marriage and your relationship as a couple needs to be important too. It can't always take a back seat to EVERY thing regarding kids. I read an article not that long ago about not making your children the center of your universe and why that is a good thing...wish I could remember where.

My point, talk to your wife. Come up with a compromise. Let her know that your marriage and her are the most important, but the kids events are also, however they do not need to take over your life and how can the two of you compromise so everyone is happy? Good luck!

Jsmom's picture

I don't think you need to give up your kids extra curriculars, but I see it from her point of view. Do you have to go to all of them? Also, when you are there are you talking to the Ex? That is annoying at best.

If the activities are every night it is a bit much, but a couple a week is understandable. Also, make sure that she is not doing any of the car pooling them there. They are not her kids, she has her own. She should take care of hers and you take care of yours.

I find it hard to believe that she would say to stop going completely. There is more to this as to why it bothers her. Expecially if you get almost 5 nights without the kids.

I agree it all sounds like jealousy and possessiveness at this point. BUT, and here's a big BUT. I sort of have an skid/mistress which is DH's activity/hobby and if you are like my DH, then I would have a bone to pick with you too.

He works from 9am to 5pm, so he's out of the house at 8 and back home at 6 if he doesn't go to his hobby. His hobby runs 3 nights a week and both days on the weekend, even though for the weekends it's only half a day, and then two weekday mornings from 6-7am. Those three nights a week, he's home after 10, sometimes 11 or 12 if he and the guys grab a beer. On the weekends, since it's half a day each day from 11am to 1pm, the entire day might as well be wasted because we can't spend time together in the morning or after since that's when the two of us can pull together and get some of the big chores done. Wednesday nights and Thursday nights are all we have together, but you know what I'm doing when he gets back? Yup, cooking dinner while he gets on his computer. Finish eating at 8:30 and we have effectively maybe an hour of quality time before we go to sleep. AND when that hour rolls around, he just wants to destress and vegetate from his work and his hobby. Saturday and Sunday afternoons are spent doing household maintenance.

Now, you say you guys take trips. Yeah, we take multiple trips a year too... for his hobby. Sure, I get to go with him and sit on the sidelines and watch or lounge at the hotel taking care of the baby, but I don't count that as vacation even if he does (well, duh, he's not taking care of a baby and doing what he loves at the same time as traveling.)

I am much more tolerant and patient than most women would be with a schedule like this, but if it gets on my nerves, I can bet it would set another woman off. I almost left DH twice over his schedule, which was how he FINALLY gave up his Wednesday and Thursday nights but then he started the two mornings to make up for it.

A guy's idea of spending time on his wife can be watching TV next to her. Sorry, that's not quality time to me. I want to still be wined and dined, even for one night a week. I want him to give up that last beer and come home a little early so that we can talk for even 15 minutes before we have to sleep, instead of him coming into bed when I'm out of the world of the waking.

For an intact family, it's different with stuff for kids because when you both go to your children's activities, it's considered bonding time. But if you're sitting on the sidelines watching the clock tick by while your spouse is gallivanting somewhere, you become precisely aware of how much time he/she is dedicating to NOT YOU. And then the time he is home, he's still doing his own thing! It's infuriating to say in the least.

(This is my vent when he's being his worst.

When he's being his best, he gets up early on the weekends and does all the chores so when I wake up it's all done, I just make the meals and we have the whole afternoon on those two days to ourselves and our daughter. He's been making the change to sit with me when I'm cooking dinner now on Wed and Thurs. Sometimes he'll have his iPad and that'll tick me off but at least he tries.

AND once in a while (maybe twice a month) he'll give up a night going to his hobby just to surprise me because that REALLY shows me I am important to him--knowing how hard it is for him to do so. I think it's when he's feeling guilty though, given all I do...)

Orange County Ca's picture

"...she's the Mom, and it's more important for her, as a Mom, to be there for her daughters." Wait I got to get up off the floor where I've been rolling around with my belly aching from the laughing. Around here that's called the Golden Vagina or Uterus.

Many women on this site would agree with your wife. They think a guy should effectively drop his kids if he marries to devote undying attention to them. But when asked if they considered what it would be like if this custodial mother had to relinquish their kids to their father 12 days of 14 they suddenly become protective mother cougar, claws and teeth bared.

Soon enough, quicker than you both think they'll all be gone and if you've done your jobs right you two will have decades to be together. Remind her of all of this and if she insists then she's selfish and uncaring about your relationship with your children.

Like others I can understand how she feels, we're all selfish, but surely she can postpone her immediate gratification for the long term goal. However EVERY game can be a compromise. How about if you suggest that one night of your alone week be dedicated to a nice dinner out and wine when you two get home and see where it goes.

If she insists she wants it all let her have it and change the locks. I'm still chuckling over her remark I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read it.

trytrytry's picture

I found this site this afternoon, and have been having a very hard time these past few days at the prospect of facing the 4th of July holiday without my wife and stepkids. Every year we had a big 4th of July party, it was one of my favorite days of the summer. So, it's been a rough few days. I just wanted to say thank you for all the comments. It is very comforting to know that others are, and have been, in the same boat. I know a person should know that, but, you get so wrapped up in your own problems, you think that nobody else will understand. I really don't have a big family, and not many people I can talk to. It is very helpful to hear from people who have been through similar situations and made it. It gives me hope, which, this afternoon, I very much needed. Words can not express my thanks for each and every comment. Keep 'em coming! I find great value in everyones opinions and experiences!

Pilgrim Soul's picture

I feel for you, trytrytry - you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I did not read all the comments, but it think you need to speak to a marriage counselor and work out a compromise. Having those nights out when there are NO Kids in the house is great! That makes up for the time spent away with your kids.

As a mom to two teenaged boys who played every sport when younger, i can tell you, i have had my fill of soccer and basketball in the fall and winter and every year was close to the nervous breakdown by the time baseball season rolled around ( i prefer ballet to baseball anyway). So by the time kids were in middle school, i either refused to attend baseball games, only dropped off/picked up, or only went when DH went, or he went, i did not, or my mom went - or no one did. It was just TOO MUCH ( i work full time, long hours). And guess what? My kids survived. Now they are both in high school, play fewer sports, and the high school provides a bus for away games, so my involvement has lessened drastically. Your wife can take solace in the fact that there are really only a few very intense years left... and during those you can compromise. And if you do not attend every game, so what? Who made the rule that parents have to be there every time?

Your wife seems to believe you attending so many games MEANS you do not love her. It does NOT mean that. You can make her a priority and still find time for your kids. The compromise is inbetween your two positions. You need a mediator/couselor to help you find balance. May be attending fewer games on days kids are not with you is the answer. Both you and DW can agree to do date nights on those days. Or work in the garden, or pay your bills/do your taxes together.

Good luck! I think your DW is very lucky that you are not afraid to crowd-source this question and listen to everyone's feedback. Invite her to join you on ST!

FedUpandMovingOn's picture

Even as I type this, I am unsure if I will post it because I feel it will only encourage my husband, the poster of this initial thread, to continue talking about this situation as if it is an open issue that is waiting to be resolved (which it is not). However, I do feel the need to set the record straight on a few of the things he is posting and since he e-mailed me the link to this blog, it occurs to me that I can tell my side of the story so he can't take your responses and try to weave them into some new attack on me. He is truthful about the basics - we met 5 years ago, fell in love, got married 2 years ago, he has 3 kids, I have 2, and the serious problems began as soon as we moved in together. I won't even get into the history of our relationship or the fact that nobody in my life has been supportive of it from day one because it is mostly irrelevant to this topic although it did contribute to how stressed out and isolated I was in this relationship from the moment we moved in together. We moved into his old neighborhood, where he continues to live within 2 blocks of his ex wife who kept the home the lived in while married. It is also one block from the school his children attend (mine do not) and his ex wife works in the school. Currently, she is home all summer so when they wake up at his home, they walk over to hers and vice versa. Her street borders our backyard so many of the neighbors we have knew them as a couple. The home I lived in with him, was picked out by he and his ex together when they were going through their divorce. I never realized until I moved in the amount of contact the all 5 of them had on a daily, if not hourly basis. Pat was coaching ALL of their sports. So even if he didn't have the kids, not only was he at the games with all of them, but he was also at every practice. In between, the two of them, and the kids were constantly running "forgotten" items back and forth between the two homes as well as communicating constantly through text, phone and email. It was literally to the point, before I moved in even, that if he didn't take the children to church on a Sunday they were with him, she would get upset and he would make excuses. The first weekend I moved in, I took my kids and his daughter to a Girl Scouts event, and when I returned I found out that the minute I left he ran over there to help her with school registration paperwork. It was as though she was living directly with us. To say nothing of her influence on the kids and the fact that she knew everything that was going on every minute they were with us. And how I constantly had to hear how she did things and what I and my kids were doing that was "wrong" or she perceived differently. The boys especially, were very brainwashed by their mom and would not even say hello back to me at an event when theyt were with her. They also made the bonding process difficult at home but I kept trying. My husband and I went through pure hell and agony fighting over all of these things. Our fights deteriorated so rapidly that I would absolutely classify it as emotional abuse. There were constant threats, vile insults and just about every door in that home was ripped off the hinges. There is no getting away from him when he is angry.
There were things that he corrected - he stopped coaching some of the sports. He started to copy me on the emails back and forth so I wasn't constantly caught offguard by schedule changes that impacted me and my kids as well as him and his. But it didn't come without the cost of deep resentment, on both of our parts. His ex hadn't wanted the divorce and caused us as much trouble as humanly possible, on a daily basis. In addition to consistently taking us back to court for child support, variable expenses and custody schedule changes or contesting anything we tried to do including taking the kids to DisneyWorld. And oftentimes, he would defend her. This is on top of being gone constantly. He would often take the boys, but leave his daughter behind with me and mine. I tried to make the best of it and we did bond. I tried extremely hard to make that relationship work and I did more for that child than I ever saw either of her parents do for her - they were too busy with their boys and their sports. However, as I'm sure some of you understand, it can be hard to take when your stepchildren are rude and/or unappreciative and sometimes I just needed a break.
He would put me between a rock and hard place by saying that I should be coming along to all of the sporting events as a family. So I tried that too. He is definitely a parent that places a huge amount of importance on the boys' sports. To the point that he is so involved he doesn't even help watch the other children and doesn't care where they are or what they are doing in the dark at baseball games. I would give up my Saturdays to take the other 4 along to basketball tournaments when he was coaching, thinking, hey he can at least hang out with us in between games....no such luck. He would rather chat with the other helicopter parents and watch the other teams play. So, I started to stay home for some of them. Since he was gone constantly all of the housework fell to me. I was staying home to clean the house, take care of kids, do all the laundry. If I ever asked him to stay home, it was like all hell broke loose. I just WAS NOT a priority unless his kids had nothing else going on.

Now, he types that he attended "all" of my kids' events, which for one thing is simply untrue. The things he did attend, like dance recitals were because his daughter was also in them and mind you - dance recitals are ONCE A YEAR, not 4 times per week like baseball games or every single weekend like basketball and football. The plays are 4 times a year and choir concerts maybe twice. There is really no comparison at all. Plus, his kids have all of that stuff (band, singing concerts) in addition to all of the rest. So, do I go to my kids stuff? Yeah, I do. But if it were 4 nights a week, you can bet I would sit some of them out to have spent time with my husband. I would damn well understand that he didn't want to sit there with my ex husband and kids that often.
One commenter asked what changed to go from "do whatever you want" to "give up your kids" in 2 years. for one, I didn't ask him to give up custody of his kids. Nor would I. I asked him to give up the games on the nights he doesn't have them for the sake of our marriage. I asked him to put US first. And he simply would not do it.

That, in addition to the fact, that we had many many other problems that culminated into several violent fights during hte last 6 months we were living together. The final one involved the police. I have been moved out ever since and I'm not going back. That house is a nightmare for me. That neighborhood is a nightmare for me. That entire LIFE is a nightmare to me. I had so much anxiety from all the fighting we did, that I was literally losing my hair by the handful. We have been in counseling since day one. We knew this was difficult. It hasn't helped. I am giving up. I will never be his priority. He has a deluded vision of this perfect Brady Bunch family that involves a woman playing the role of wife with no opinions, no needs and no wants that differ from his own or his kids and that just is not and cannot be me. For the last six months I have struggled with this because I made a commitment and there is a lot of shame and sadness in walking away from it. But I can no longer see any way that this situation won't make me completely miserable. And as much as he claims that he wants nothing but to stay married, he didn't do one thing over the last 6 months to change any of these circumstances. He just keeps trying anything he can to prove to himself that what I want is "wrong". But make no mistake, it is too late. Even if he completely changed his mind at this point I would not go back - too much water under the bridge. It is time for him to accept that it is over.

Stick to your guns, girl! I knew there was something fishy about his story.

Guys like him make me laugh... and then want to clip his nuts for what he put you through.

BEST of luck to you. I hope you get out of that hellhole and never look back.

And Pat, you're a grade A asshole. Thanks for leaving out the important details like the fact you coached, constantly at your ex's beck and call, defending her when you should have been protecting your wife, allowing your ex to wreak havoc on your home, and making your wife THIS DAMN MISERABLE.

As a husband, I give you a failing grade.

Pilgrim Soul's picture

Thank you for your very brave and very anguished post, FedUpand...
Once again best intentions pave, roof and wall the road to step-hell.
Such a mine field... i hope you can both get to the other side with as few
bloody wounds as possible.

simifan's picture

I agree with wife. She should always be the number one priority, always. I would walk from any relationship where I felt second. You don't feel you need to be at every game and practice. I would have a problem with DH spending more nights with his ex then me & yes I would see it that way. It seems your very enmeshed in these kids lives.

Where is the time you put into your relationship? Do you do a weekly date night? What romantic overtures do you do for your spouse? I get the feeling she gets what's left over after your kids.

Edited: Wow! I guess I should have read the whole thing before I commented. It seems the point is mute.

WTF...REALLY's picture

Pat......with all due respect.......you still are married to your first wife. Fedupandmovingon........definitely move on.

Disneyfan's picture

OP, time to accept the fact that your marriage is over and move on.

Just realize that your parenting style isn't going work in a step situation. That doesn't mean you have to change the way you parent. However, marriage or living with someone may not be an option at this time. I can relate to not wanting to change your parenting style for the sake of a SO. I ended several relationships because the men made me feel like I had to make a choice between them or my son. After that I dated, but I always made it clear that my minor son was my priority.

I met my DF two weeks after my son graduated from high school.

Unfreakingreal's picture

Fedup - ok, 1 million apologies for my statements to your husband. Had I known THIS version of the events I would have never agreed with him. He should have stayed married with his ex. I can't even imagine living in the same state as our ex Bitch, so on the same block? Yeah, I'd be locked up by now.
Good for you for putting yourself first and moving on. Holy moses, I don't even know how you lasted that long!

Unfreakingreal's picture

Echo - holy crap, talk about TWO totally different versions! Wow…I feel awful for her, she sounded very, very disappointed and fed up and the Ex sounded like a nightmare.

Disneyfan's picture

I kind of wish we could hear the other sides (Husbands, BMs, SKs)of many of the other stories posted here.

Unfreakingreal's picture

Shame on you TRYTRYTRY - you tried to bamboozle us! Read your wife's reply and I mean REALLY read it. Clearly this marriage cannot be saved but you might want to take note for the next relationship because each and every one will blow up in your face if you don't change ALL of that behavior. Why'd you leave your ex? Sounds like you would have been better off to stay married to her. My DH can't stand to even hear his ex's voice much less spend every waking moment with her. I'd leave you too!

trytrytry's picture

Two different versions of the story is exactly right. It is true that my ex does anything and everything to cause problems. To say that I am still married to her is false. I see what she is. I see what she does. I hate it. She has been trying to break my wife and I up since day 1. Why? Becauase when my wife and I met we were both married. We left our spouses to be with each other. My ex is relenteless, she will cause problems the rest of our life to get back at us for that. My wife and I have make great progress dealing wiht her in things like mediation agreements, and in how we handle her ourselves. I went to the extent of cc'ing my wife on every single email I sent to my ex wife. And/or letting my wife review the communications and even write them. On the other side, my wife communicates with her ex via text 200+ times per month. We have a joint phone bill, sometimes there are 70 texts a week. And she sees nothing wrong with that. I never see what these texts are about. There are also many many many phone calls, but phone calls from or to my ex are not permitted.

A couple other things. To make this better, I have told my wife I will sell the house and we can move to a house in her childrens school district. I will take money from retiremenet savings to set up college accounts fo $30,000 for each of her daughters. Will change my custody schedule to an every other weekend schedule which will allow just us to have a lot of time together (she has recently changed hers). I gave up coaching everything. At this point I'd like to attend as much of their stuff as possible but realize it does not have to be all. I realize we did this wrong the 1st time. I look back and see all the hurt that was done on both side. While my wife paints me as a monster, above, it is one very exaggerated side of the story. You will notice there is nothing in there where she accepts any accountability for anything. I will not list them. It will look like tit for tat. But there are been extreme actions and reactions on both sides as we've struggled through this.

I was not trying to bamboozle anyone. I realize when we moved in we never planned for anything. We just thought it would all work out. And that was wrong. But at this point, my wife has been moved out for 6 months. I fully realize all of the bad on both our parts from the past. And I honestly love her. I honestly miss my stepdaughters. And I want to make this work so we can have a happy life.

I am desperately trying to get over the past and do what we can to move forward together. My wife is stuck in the past. As you can tell from her words there is a lot of anger. She goes on angry most days. At points in the past 6 months she's told me she loves me. Though she has been moved out, I have seen her quite often. Most nights we have no kids I go to her apartment. We have gone on trips,even done things with all 5 kids. Colored Easter eggs, gone on boating trips. We have gone out around town for nice dinners and nights on the town. We have told nobody we work with about this, though I am sure many have this figured out. Through all of this, she has only told her family that she moved out and she does not see me. She is afraid that if she tells them she has been seeing me since she moved out the won't support her. And that is very important to her. Many times as she is talking to them I am sitting right there and she wont say anything. She will post pictures on facebook of events the 2 of us have gone to, but only post pictures of herself, or her and he kids. Even though me and my kids are there.

So...I am not trying to play a victim. But, it is hard. I love her. I want to change a lot of things and have a life with her. Over these past 6 months she has alternated between I love you and I hate you, many times during the same day. Sometimes we are sleepng together at night, loving in the morning, and 60 minutes later she is throwing things at me telling me to get out.

I will close by saying, I realize there has been a lot of hurt and pain. I did not realize all of the impacts as it was going on, but I do now. I still want this to work. And, as I said initially, and also said to her, the only thing I want out of it is to be able to attend my kids stuff. And not even all of my kids stuff. We can live where she wants, with her household rules, we can set up college funds for her kids, I will not coach anything. I simply want my kids to feel like a part of the family. She has told me they are my ex-family. That when 2 people get divorced, the kids go with the Mom. And the only way she will get back together with me is if I 'cut it with the ex family sh*t'. But my kids are not my ex family. They are my currnet family. And, moviing forward, I would like them to feel like part of my current family. I would like EVERYONE to be happy.

trytrytry's picture

One last thing. My wife, above, posted that this is not an open issue waiting to be resolved. But, Sunday, when she came home from a weeekend of partying, she called me on the way home. I asked to see her. She said come on over. We laid down, you can figure out where it went from there...and after she asked 'what are we going to do'. We talked about not getting divorced. She told me she wanted me in her life and I told her I wanted her in mine. We talked about how we could work it so she could see me on the 4th of July. This takes some doing because she has to find a way to make it look to her family that she is not seeing me. We did all that. Loving, talking about the future. That fills me with hope that we can move past all that has happened and do things the right way. Then I told her I had to get back home because my kids had been there alone for the past few hours and she became extremely upset. She said I was picking them over her. Which led to this week. Dropping out of site and saying she wants to get divorced again. And that is the way it goes. Some days are loving and great and we see each other behind her families back (even thought we are MARRIED!), and others she hates me and wants a divorce.

Cluster eff to the max. I'm not even going to touch the cheating thing.

However, dude, your wife presented more facts to us than you are even doing now. All you are saying is some vague, ambiguous idea of how to be a family in YOUR EYES. Expecting to play the sympathy card, the feelings card, but offering no concrete solution other than you want to go to their event which now looks like takes up most of the year and the week, practice plus the actual sporting event, which means you still haven't listened.

Fact: Who gets to do all the work while you're gone? Yup, your wife. It looks like she's on her feet enough to be able to afford her own apartment, so she was probably working, and probably still is working to support the household. And she STILL had to maintain the housework? How the hell is that fair? What? Women are SUPPOSED to do the housework?

Fact: Who has the watch your daughter (which I find deplorable that you would focus so much on the boys, and then have the gall to complain about going to all of her daughters stuff when YOUR DAUGHTER IS IN THEM TOO) when you're gone? Yup. Your wife.

Looks like your wife is done with you, and honestly, I would be too.

Your wife, if she ever does date and marry again, may have to change some things like not be texting her ex all the time, but you are still tightly enmeshed with yours. You may hate how she acts but you evidently allow and defend it to your wife, without stopping her or putting in boundaries.

I'm glad she got out. What she described is pure stephell, and none of what she said wasn't evidently true.

I think she went in wanting to be the perfect wife, expecting you to be the perfect husband in return. Looks like what you wanted was a ready made soccer mom and be able to do the things you want while someone else deals with the daily life stuff. She's been out six months, I think it hasn't been easy without someone picking up all your slack for you.

Also, if the police were involved in your domestic dispute, then I suggest anger management on both your parts. She at least had the brains to realize at that point it wasn't going to work and was unhealthy for her kids and got the eff out.

Disneyfan's picture

Why would she expect him to be the perfect husband? He cheated on his first wife with her. That act alone speaks volumes.

Disneyfan's picture

The two of you cheated and broke up two families. Then you both made the choice to move into BM's back yard. Now are surprised that BM is giving them hell. :?

You helped break up BM's marriage, now she has helped to brake up your marriage. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

trytrytry's picture

Thank all of you for your replies. I want to say that I very much appreciate them and I appreciate that you cared enough to offer advice, encouragement, and even the slaps up side the head. Regarding our past, believe me, I know neither of us are proud of it. You do things the wrong way when you are too scared and too weak to leave on your own. We have talked about that particular topic many times. And neither of us ever desires to be that person again.

It is probably impossible to clearly understand any couple by reading a few paragraphs on a screen. For the several hundred words that were written by my wife and I, there have been dozens and dozens and dozens of hours of conversations. At times they have been great and we have made good progress in some areas. And then with others we struggle. Such has been our cycle. Good times, sometimes weeks and weeks at a time, then bad, for days or weeks at a time. Over and over.

It has been more helpful to me to hear from other people who are in step families, stepmoms, stepdads, than any counseling sessions I or we have been in. Hearing from people who have been there and surived (that sounds drastic) is of great value to me.

In particular, thank you Nodoormat, for your thoughtful reply. Many of your words hit me like a ton of bricks. HURT PEOPLE, HURT PEOPLE. And it takes two to fight and two to make changes. Your advice is not judgemental and mocking; it is balanced and understanding. I will definitely look up marriagebuilders.com and also His Needs, Her Needs; StepMonster; Love & Respect.

The answer to your question of do I want a divorce...is 100% no! I do agree with what you said about being married, and doing everything we can before we toss in the towel. That may sound crazy coming from someone who was the bad guy at one point, but, to me, I love my wife more than I have ever loved another human being. She was, and is, my dream come true. And when we got married, to me, it was truly for life. We had not idea how to be a stepfamily. And consequently did a lot of it wrong. I appreciate all of your words of advice and opinions. And I hope we get the chance to do it right.