You are here

Break up due to my feelings coming last.

ajp1999's picture
Forums: 

I recently broke up with my bf of 3 years. I am heartbroken as he was and and is the love of my life. During the past 3 years i have alway felt as if I was second to his "co-parenting" relationship with the ex. I've always felt that he was too enmeshed with the ex wife. He did not want to stop small things that upset me concerning the ex (i.e..at the beginning ex coming into the home each morning to give the kids breakfast, and most recently the ex doing his taxes, a bank account they both have access to) my list could go on. And a recent text I got from him (post break up) is that he wants to do b-days together with the ex and continue relationships etc with her family members at the cost of our relationship. He says he does it for the kids, but I think it's for him.

We had been talking of marriage for a couple of years and as time has gone on with no proposal I have been feeling not very secure a due to no commitment. He has said recently to me that he needed to see how my meeting went with his ex before any major plans for marriage etc. (there have been no events til recently which required me to meet her. He wanted to move in together so see if I could "handle " things with a blended family etc and my take is that i don't want to get any closer with his kids etc and just move in just to be moved out if there was something he didn't like about me. It made me feel very insecure in the relationship to have him say things like this.

I've also been feeling very alone lately. After 3 years we just were spending the same amount of time together as we always did from the beginning. He said we were "partners" but i just felt like a girlfriend and nothing more...

I was to the point that I didn't want to put any more large amounts of time into the relationship when I felt second and we still had no future concrete plans. I did not want to continue to get closer and closer with his kids and him without some sort of commitment.

So I broke up with him. After a couple of days we texted and I told him I still loved him and wanted another try. I told him I will go ahead and meet the ex (which would have been fine) as I don't have an issue with her.. it's the way he deals with her. And his response is that it's too late.. I broke up with him and it's over. He says he wants co parenting and I want parallel co parenting. It seems like he really wants to be a family with his ex and his exes family over being a family with me. So I am so heartbroken. Was this breakup justified folks or am I nuts? He really wants to raise his kids with the ex and be friendly with her... contact her daily etc.. really be a family with the ex- do parties etc with her..

I was ready to marry this man and raise his kids like they were my own. I loved him and them so much. I'm really having trouble getting over this.. it's only been a few days but I feel like I have lost my family. He wanted to be the way he is with his ex at the cost of our relationship. I just wanted him to have the basic contact with her and be nice and civil and all that.. he could not do it. He wants to do b-day parties with the ex-- and keep things like they are.. These things to him are more important than me. Am i correct in assuming this?

Any way.. how do I move on from this? I feel like I have been lied to for three years. I told him at the beginning.. if he wanted to do b days and holidays with the ex and HER family I would not be into that. He knew my position on this stuff. He also knew I did not want to live together first. That I wanted to be married and be with him and the kids. I just don't understand where things went wrong but I can't help the way I feel about his extensive co parenting. It's overkill. but he wants it that way.. he has shown me where I stand in his life. bottom of the priority chain. he doesn't see it that way.

I feel like i will never get over this.. and i'm alone again.. the love of my life gone because he just can't seem to let go of this relationship with the ex

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

Get counseling and a good therapist and read what you just wrote about the things he and his ex did to remind you why you got out of that clusterfuck of a situation. I think he was only the "love of your life" in idea--because no love of my life would even THINK for a second about treating me the way he treated you. I know break ups are hard, and if you can just get through the first 6 months without bending or breaking, you'll get stronger. You're missing the oxytocin rush of "being" with someone but that too shall pass, and you'll look back and be like, what was I thinking even staying that long in a dysfunctional situation like that?

hereiam's picture

It hurts but it's the right decision for you. You want something different than he is willing to offer and that's okay.

He knew your position but did not respect it. Little by little, he was seeing how far he could push it, what you would put up with, how far he could go before you would stand up for yourself. He was hoping that you would not stand up for yourself at all and he could have his cake and eat it, too.

Good for you for not letting him have it.

You deserve better and will eventually find it.

ajp1999's picture

No.. I realized the BM had to be communicated with etc. What I wanted was just for the basic contact.. regarding schedules etc etc. Basic stuff. 6 months.. you all think it will take that long to get over this?? I can't stop crying literally and I can't eat or sleep well (the good news is I lost 5 lbs) Do you all think this ever could have worked out. I just can't be a "family" with his ex and her family.. that was not what I wanted. I wanted to be a family with him and his kids.. And he would just handle the BM when necessary etc.. Also after 3 years isn't it a long time to just "date".?

twoviewpoints's picture

https://www.steptalk.org/node/228688

We pretty much got both sides of this from both your ex and you in the above link.

I'm sorry, but the relationship couldn't last. You are both in very different places in your lives. He's going to co-parent his children as he sees fit. Right or wrong. Do not beg after this man. He's never going to change what he believes is the correct way for he ad his sons.

Mourn your loss and work at moving on. He's told you it's too late...a big indication that any acceptance and changes of his co-parenting would have to be on your end. He's doing his raising of his children and co-parenting the way he wants to. End of story aka relationship for him.

ajp1999's picture

HA.. Echo.. you crack me up. I really do appreciate these responses. Every time i want to break down I will read them. I agree it didn't feel like he was ever available to me on a true partnership level anyway. He really just needs a permanent GF.. now someone who wants to build a life.

Voodoodoll's picture

Unfortunately for you dear, as much as you don't want to admit it, you have just been playing house with a "married man". He clearly isn't ready to make a commitment to you because he can't make a commitment to himself first. It''s not you. This is between your boyfriend and his ex. I don't think that you will ever have the place in his heart that you rightly deserve but on that note, nobody else will either except for his ex until he draws a line in the sand.

ajp1999's picture

Thank you all so much. He just promised me so much.. a life with him and the kids. I feel like it was all a lie on his end. I can't believe he cared so little about me.

Honestly would most women be okay with a lot of these co parenting items.. etc.. and yes there is a prior post on this. ? Am I just being crazy for no just accepting what he wants to do and should i have just moved forward with the relationship and attepted to become part of this intertwined family unit of his.. ?

ajp1999's picture

Thanks.. it will be a long road for me for sure. I'm going to a counselor next week. and I will try to stop crying and eat something tomorrow. I guess just one day at a time is all I can do at this point. thanks for your support.

twoviewpoints's picture

Reading the guy's post over there and the male advice to him was pretty consistent to what she's getting here . Move on. Two sites, one mostly female, one mostly male.

I left a link earlier this evening to a recent thread between the OP and her now ex SO. There is also another thread here on ST between the two of them. Two years ago this month. The SO is logged on as 'locke' instead of 'tek' on the older one.

https://www.steptalk.org/node/185609

The older one is harder to make sense of as so many of the comments on it are gone (members who have since deleted accounts). The issues and how each felt and their inability to get the other to change their stance however were just the same.

While I know the OP is hurting right, I really hope she does move on. There's lots of life left to live and happiness to find.

CANYOUHELP's picture

I think advise from random strangers is a healthy place to begin, actually; it is not personal and takes a lot of bias out of the situation to begin with...and, you get a variety of opinions to consider.

I do not want to burden my family and friends, nor should I ever believe them to be impartial; so I applaud posters who are reaching out to others to help them find solutions who may have more expertise and experience.

CANYOUHELP's picture

Seriously, men's divorce forum...is this the best advise men give to each other???? No wonder there are so many women on this site...geeze.

First, why would anybody get married to come SECOND???????????? And, these men appear to seriously believe this...Thanks for sharing the forum with me, it is still hard to believe so many screwed up men are thinking like this as not one responder stated anything differently. That sends a powerful message to women everywhere...

You are well rid of this dude and his dysfunctional thinking. "Forsaking all others," guess the marriage vows are meaningless...lol.

ajp1999's picture

Oh my word.. Thanks for sharing that. Very interesting for sure. in one post he states he doesn't want to ever upset the ex or she will try to take his money.. wow wow.. I'm seeing now that he probably just never really cared for me that much. Guess money is one more thing that is more important to him than me. I don't really give a shit about money. Do you think those men are right? OMG.. they are terrible...

I highly doubt that many women would put up with a lot of the stuff he does.. anyway folks i really appreciate all of you. and your support.. it means a lot to me.

Disneyfan's picture

He said the same thing about you. That the reason why he doesn't want to get married before living together. If it doesn't work out, you would be able to clean his clock.

I have to admit, that was a pretty smart move on his part.

ajp1999's picture

The relationship has ended for good. It's done. Over. The thing is this is the ONLY issue we ever had. We had gotten along so well and I got along with his kids. The only thing I ever asked of him is to just separate a bit from his ex and he just could not and would not do it. I feel like I compromised every day with him working around his and his exes schedules etc and he could not do this one thing for me. I feel like he picked his relationship with his ex over our relationship. Love is hard to find and once you have it you want to keep it. But he just could not separate a bit from his ex. In fact I think he wants to do more with her now.. b-days and such which before he said he never wanted to do. He has to deal with the loss of me but I have to deal with the loss of him AND his kids. It's like my whole family just died. I feel like I will be alone forever. I am literally destroyed over this and amy barely functioning at this point. But he still has his happy little family in tact. Him, his kids, his ex.. the exes family. He just could not put me first and do away with some of the things he was doing. I don't want to be a "family" with his ex.. I would have been nice to her, but I could have never been so close as he is with her. I just don't understand if he loved me so much why he could not separate from her and HER family some. Anyway it's done. It's over. So this will be the last forum topic,

twoviewpoints's picture

You have a daughter of your own. Young lady who just reached adulthood. Your going into 'empty nest' as she moves on to college. Go on a nice vacation together this summer. Last hurrah . Just Mom and daughter. Do lunches and dinners with your female friends. Take up a new sport , hobby or do volunteer work.

" The thing is this is the ONLY issue we ever had."

It was and continued to be a very big issue. One the two of you could not nor ever would agree upon. Look forward, not back. The rest of your life from this moment forth will be as happy or as divested, bitter and lonely as you choose to make it.

Tater salad's picture

You lasted two years longer than I would and I waited 20 years for my now DW to come back and realize we should have always been together. I would have tossed it all away if she didn't listen and respect my feelings... so I think you did right. You deserve to be happy in life. If he loves you, he'd work harder at making it so.

Tater salad's picture

Wow I just skimmed over the thread...
Why in the world are ya'll on forums talking to strangers and not each other. THAT is why it was never going to work. Next guy you date, please don't bother unless you can be absolutely open and honest about things... all things. That is true intimacy, and without it, no marriage/serious relationship will work.

ajp1999's picture

I tried discussing how I felt about these issues and each time he was extremely defensive and protective over his relationship with the ex. More protective of that relationship then he was with our relationship which I just couldn't handle. When I brought up things early on he would say we'll just dump me if u can't handle the fact that I have an ex and recently he had yelled at me a couple of times because he said I shouldn't be bothered by these things. I wanted things to be cordial with his ex but separate so that I felt there was some room for me

Tater salad I did feel as though my feelings were not respected and this is one of the reasons the relationship ended. The other reason it ended is that the relationship was not going anywhere. I wanted more and he wasn't ready. I was lonely in the relationship. I had also voiced those concerns over and over. In the end he was either not a good listener or not really concerned about me. Or both. I just hope I can get over this soon and move on. If I ever date again it's not going to be for three years if I feel I'm not being listed to. Lesson learned. I'm still really hurting over this. Heartbroken.

ajp1999's picture

Thanks.. despite my prior posts I know now I made the right decision for me. It's not that I didn't want to speak to the ex. I def would have but I was just looking for a bit of separation.. That was not going to happen. I'm happy to say that I've moved on from this relationship.

My ex bf seems to want to communicate and be friendly or something, but I'm not into that.. so I just blocked him from everything. I'm sure he will find a woman who is willing to be a family with his ex wife and her family.. That person is not me.

ajp1999's picture

Hi Everyone.. It's the original poster ::

I'm doing so much better. I have met someone that I really like so far. Not only is he a sweetheart but he knows why my prior relationship ended and he says that he believes in listening to his woman and doing whatever it takes to make her happy. This man is an absolute sweetheart. He has been married and divorced but he says he would always put into place whatever boundaries with his ex and ex in laws to make his woman feel like there is room in the relationship. He said I would not ever have my prior issues with him. OMG.. He really is just so so good to me so far. He says he would always place his woman 1st in this life and he is an amazing father. He says he wants to listen and be there for me and try to understand and feel what his woman is feeling. He has two girls that are really sweet and has them 50% of the time which is great because I love kids. He is on good terms with his ex which is fine with me. This mans attitude about his SO is a total change from what I'm used to!!! He is always there for me to talk about things and has really just been there for me through this difficult time. I'm really grateful for him in my life right now. He says if the woman he wants to be with wants marriage before living together he would do that for her. He is a real gentleman. He couldn't believe some of the things me and my ex fought about. He said he would have just stopped doing those small things immediately if it hurt the woman he loved. He seems nothing like my ex.

He brought me a dozen roses on our 4th date. OMG...! He is not only romantic, but handsome. Not sure what will happen but I'm really enjoying this man so far=) So folks I can honestly say I'm happy for now....of course it's only been a short time but we are getting close fast...

Trying to take things slow with this guy since I'm fresh out of a relationship. So moral to the story is you can find someone who has similar values as you do. He actually goes to church with me.. and believes in a couple putting each other 1st for the sake of the family and kids... something we have already discussed extensively. It's early on with this guy but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

uofarkchick's picture

OMFG.... Four dates in 11 days?? I'm sorry but I think this TEK person and this AJP person are one in the same. 11 days days before your post, you were devastated. Now you're "in love." I don't know how in the world you find time for this little multiple personalities hobby. I wondered why you and your "ex" were posting your crap all over the internet. It's because you have some sort of obsessive need for attention and you get it by playing make believe. I'm calling BS. Please get some therapy.

Solidshadow7's picture

I just read the bottom of this thread and im very glad to see that you've moved on. But I wrote this out first, so here it is....

Reading your story was painful. Sometimes the bio parents just seem to be brainwashed by having had a kid. He seems to be under the impression that because she happens to be the mother of his child, he needs to place her before anyone and everyone in his life. Maybe its because he's still carrying a torch for her, and maybe its because he somehow believes this is in his child's best interest and his child comes first. His requirement that you prove your performance in a blended family before moving forward indicates this as well. It means the family you are expected to blend with is more important to him than you are or likely ever will be and he's not interested in learning to make it work if there are problems later, he expects that you will simply be perfect off the bat or you're just not good enough.

I'm sorry that you feel this man is the "love of your life" but I can guarantee that he's not. Love is mutual, it requires two people to feel the same way, and he is clearly incapable of holding you in the same regard that you hold him. Its not love if its not returned honey. If he has no interest in extricating himself from BM's web, he is not able to be in a relationship. At least not a functional one.

Right now his definition of "co-parenting" is very close to most people's definition of him still being in a relationship with this woman. If he feels that's the best way to raise his kid, that's a personal choice for him to make. It also means he is choosing not to have any real functional relationship in his life. If he believes that's in the child's best interests and a sacrifice he has to make as a father, that's completely on him. He's free to ruin his life on his own terms, do not let him take you down with him.

You are a person with needs and wants and you will put your SO first in your life, and you deserve the same. I understand that its a balancing act because when there is a child the child must sometimes necessarily come first, but not all the time. In your case the boyfriend has decided to run his life with his SO being third behind the child and the ex. This is a complete and total disservice to you, it cheapens you as a person and reduces you to a commodity. In a relationship you need to be viewed as an equal and not as an item to be cast aside when you're inconvenient. RUN and don't look back. There are plenty of people in this world who can love you and respect you as the woman you are, and not as an afterthought to their dysfunctional existence

ldvilen's picture

Saw this quote the other day that certainly applies here: You are another in a long line of women to date a conflict-avoidant man whose ex-wife takes advantage of his good nature to hang onto some perks of the prior relationship and call it "parenting."

There is co-parenting and then there is licking your ex's boots.

ChiefGrownup's picture

I'm way late to this whole melodrama but I have some thoughts anyway in case you come back, OP.

1. Constant superiority complex over poor scullery maid in the corner you who knows nothing about "communication" or "relationships." Cuz he's such an expert with his one teenage marriage full of adultery.
Check.

2. You had to audition for his ex-wife.
Check.

3. You had to audition for the "role of stepmom" before he would propose.
Check.

4. After 3 1/2 years, he still has this list of major hoops for you to jump through before he could be "sure" he wanted to propose. In yet another year.
Check.

5. Tells you your idea to seek the mediation of a professional--a "stranger"--is stupid.
Check.

6. Seeks the intervention of strangers himself on the internet in at least 2 different fora.
Check.

7. Thinks these strangers are brilliant when they tell him you're immmature and he's well shot of you.
Check.

8. Suddenly these strangers are "bitter" and "hateful" when they say the same thing to you after hearing the rest of the story.
Check.

9. Endlessly repeats how willing he is to compromise in the same breath as endlessly defending every single position he has.
Check.

10. Tells us womenfolk here one thing while revealing material details--a hidden agenda--to the menfolk.
Check.

All future women in his life will be told the same story about how you were so "jealous" and couldn't accept his role as a father. At first these women will want to prove they are nothing like that witch. Until one day they realize the real truth of the situation and they high tail it, too. Sadly, one or more may even marry him before they figure it out.

This new bf of yours may turn out to be a player or he may be wonderful, but you will be fine. Do not look back. I'm sure tek had great aspects of him. But they came at too high a cost. He's enmeshed with bm, is condescending to gf, and for all his balderdash about his great openness and communication, he was keeping his true agenda secret from you.