You are here

Question - moving to new house, who gets which room?

marie5's picture

Hi everyone - I am new here and just need to see what other people thought on this. I have an 8yo SD and I have been in here life for almost 7 years and love her like she's my own and we have her every other weekend. This is my question. My husband and I are buying a house and actually waiting to do our inspection but I mentioned to him that out of the 2 bedrooms that she would get, maybe we could give her the smaller room because future baby/kid would be there all the time, so wouldn't that make more sense. He didn't agree and didn't see an issue, and I feel horrible for feeling this way. This has nothing to do with her personally because I want her to have so much, but we only have her every other weekend, so that was my theory on it... I know it shouldn't be an issue, but for some reason it's bothering me. Am I crazy? lol help please!

marie5's picture

I agree - that is a great point. No, I am not but we plan on trying soon. So that's why I feel horrible for feeling the way that I do because we don't have one on the way yet. But wanted to make sure I wasn't completely crazy. And don't want DH to feel I love SD any less... I don't know why I feel so stongly about this and I just need a way to stop!!

marie5's picture

I appreciate all the feedback... And I agree - definitely don't want to give her the bigger room now and then have to move her later. I wouldn't want to do that and have her feel resentment. DH says; does a 6month old need the bigger room? No - but when he or she is 5 or 10 maybe. and they might say, wth... Or maybe kids that age won't even notice the difference.

The rooms aren't dramatically different, but different enough I think. But we're supposed to have the inspection this week possibly, and if so, she will be with us when we go (and he told her she can pick out her room when we go and that's when all these feelings came rushing). But we will see what happens. I guess I should just see the house again and go from there. But it keeps eating away at me for some reason and idk why. I don't care about silly stuff like this usually.

marie5's picture

Thank you Vanessa! I am probably thinking way too much into it and they probably will care so much more less than I do.
but you're right, she probably will need the room, I just want things to be fair that's all. Feeling selfish and don't want to.

Rags's picture

Resident kids get the most logical and livable rooms. Visiting kids get rooms that have the least intrusive impact on the rest of the residents. Pure logic. It works. DH needs to try it.

If the larger room makes the most sense regarding location, convenience etc... then put the baby there. If the smaller room makes the most sense then that is your answer. Size if the room is not relevant if both room sizes will suit the basic needs of the kids that go in them, at that point the decision is about convenience.

When we lived in a 2br apt the Skids room was also the guest room so when we had guests he got an aerobed in our huge master BR closet. It had a heat/AC vent and we put a nightstand and lamp in so he could have privacy and comfort. He actually enjoyed it. The three of us would banter and laugh every night before we went to sleep when we had guests.

IMHO of course.

somedevilishbeauty's picture

Which room is closer to your the bigger one or smaller one?

in our situation when we first moved in it was a 2 bedroom, skids stayed in one room and DH myself and BS shared a bedroom.( he was one at the time) We eventually added a third bedroom. so now SS and BS share one and SD has her own. our issue is cable. boys room has cable and SD has the xbox. since skids only came over on weekends cable went in BS room (which SD has free access to anytime) but now kids live with us she wants cable in her room too, but a third line would cost us more and we already have extra cost with them moving in.

marie5's picture

Thanks everyone! Rooms aren't a huge difference, but I will look better when we see it again which I'm hoping is in the next couple of days. I think even having whichever one closer to the master makes most sense for future baby, and I'm not sure which room that is yet.
It all makes sense and I'm glad that I am not an a**hole for feeling this way, like I've been feeling.
aswang - you're absolutely right.. I really do have a good relationship with her and do feel lucky. She evens get sad when I'm not home when it's our weekend (I'm a volunteer and on a bunch league, so I am busy a lot)... so I should take that into affect as well because I don't want to ruin that.
Rags - your first sentence makes sense and that is how I feel. Not that I want her to feel differently or left out, just thinking logically.
Feeling a little better - just wish he'd see where I was coming from.

stepinhell617's picture

Start out the way you intend to end up. My stepson is 50/50 and we hoped to have more kids when we moved he was almost five and he got the little room. We used the big room as a guest room until the first baby was born (there are two girls and they share)when he was seven. He did ask why the baby got the bigger room and we told him babies have a lot of stuff and she has one room and he has two rooms for all his stuff. It headed off so many problems not giving him the big room and then making him move before the babies. You will end up resenting her and your husband when you child/ren are crammed in a small room and there is a large room empty 26 days a month.

Quintessa24's picture

Closes room to you makes more sense because you want to be able to hear baby and I hate to say it but if their was a fire you need to be able to get to the baby 1st because it cant help it self but an older child can get out a window. I have our layout like this even with my bio kids I always have so its nothing to do with my SD being a step kid. The room size wont matter to a baby and by the time it will theirs a good chance SD wont be living at home or at least coming to stay as much.
Most of the time kids get to an age where set visitation doesn't work for them anymore she'll be out and about with her own friends so don't stress so much if SD gets the bigger room for now coz by the time you bio kid is 10 and wanting more space you SD might be out flatting.
Babys don't need a lot of space its more when the teen years are coming that they want to hang out in their rooms more but again I would keep the room close to use for baby

Orange County Ca's picture

You don't have a problem with the logic as I read it you just are protective of a un-conceived baby and want to get over the feelings.

Seems like that will happen as the massive work-load looming ahead of you in moving will take care of that.

counseling.advocate's picture

Normally I would say that the baby should have the bigger room. But since there's not that big of a difference in size, I'd say sd sd should have the bigger one because she's so much older and she will need more space for her things. Unless the baby would be forced to be downstairs or the house is so big that you wouldn't be able to hear the baby, I don't think you can get out of giving her the bigger room without DH taking offense and thinking your being petty. Unless there is built in shelving that would benefit one of them or some other case to make, tread carefully Wink

But you can always switch later. I know other people said it might cause problems, but if space became an issue and custody was still the same arrangement down the line, then you could explain to sd the situation and she would be more mature by then and understand. The baby wouldn't need more space until way later, but we don't even know what kind of difference there is but I hope this helped!

But generally, I do agree that who ever is there more should get the bigger room but be considerate of DH's feelings

Jelly2's picture

That's easy-his kid gets the bigger room. That's how it is in my house even though SD is only here 50% of the time and my BD is here almost all of the time. But then I noticed that a huge tree limb is leaning over SDs room and BDs room is safer, so I go, "ok, your right."

marie5's picture

I totally understand what everyone's saying, and I just want to say thank you!

Definitely want to be aware and considerate of DH's feelings as they mean so much to me and I don't want to offend him. And I don't want to offend sd either. These are all great reasons, I'm so glad I am not completely crazy for feeling this way. I'm more upset that it bothers me so much and that I can't just say "I don't care" because part of me does and I don't know why.

marie5's picture

But again - thank you to everyone that responded... I wasn't expecting an overwhelming amount of responses and I really liked hearing all different sides to the situation and what other people do. Smile

Crazy_Psycho's picture

Sorry but whether your future child is born or not, if your trying theres obviously going to be a full time child there. The full time child has the bigger room. It will only cause problems when your child born and needs to change room. Your child will live there his other kid stays four nights a month (which my dsc do) which is absolutely nothing.

Poodle's picture

Marie5, you keep mentioning feeling guilty about this feeling and not knowing why you had it. What stood out to me in your posts was the line, "The rooms aren't dramatically different, but different enough I think. But we're supposed to have the inspection this week possibly, and if so, she will be with us when we go (and he told her she can pick out her room when we go and that's when all these feelings came rushing)." It's that bracketed bit that would do it for me. You, as a couple, were embarking on this huge commitment in an adult relationship of buying together (for the first time?). The home is like a symbol of your adult relationship. It's the nest where all your adult hopes in each other are reposed and where you will build your mutual life together as parents of your own brood. And although you all are a happily blended group, he's imo crossed a little boundary there by offering her a choice of room when he had not discussed that with you in advance. It's like he trumped you in a little way. Or handed out your bounty and took you for granted. I personally think that's where the feeling came from, and hopefully the experience of going through all this planning with you will teach him not to do it again. Especially if you have the kind of discussions that some of the posters above are suggesting. Those restore you and him to your positions as heads of the household deciding something together and then handing it together to the child.

BlendingOilAndWater's picture

I personally don't feel that kids need to have two 'homes'. If they feel like they are temporary guests, it's usually because they ARE! And why does that have to be a problem? I have no problem with my kids having a very firm sense of HOME. Home is where they live. They stay with their father but that is not their home. They never feel unwelcome, unloved or in the way just because they don't feel his house is their home. It's not! Just my personal opinion but I do feel that the need for kids to have two 'homes' is actually more about the non-custodial parent's needs. It's like they like to pretend that their kids live with them. To me, it creates instability for my kids. They have never expressed any desire to feel more 'at home' at their dad's place. This is of course different with shared custody (50/50).

Big difference between feeling AT home and feeling HOME.