You are here

Possible Divorce at hand (opinions needed)

momoutofhermind2's picture

Ok long story short, my DH wants the password to my e-mail account. I don't want him to have it. I am not hiding anything and there is nothing that he can't see, but I feel like it's my own 1 thing to have to myself. He says b/c I wont let him see what's in there, he don't trust me and is throwing a divorce in there if I don't let him see it. I know there is something else in his mind and me not giving him the password is just making whatever it is bigger. Then I think if he's gonna divorce me over a password then go ahead b/c it's dumb and if this one dumb thing is going to break us then that's sad. I haven't done anything wrong for him to think anything is going on. I talk to him at work a couple times a day, I am home when he's home, 3/4 of the time we go out together so there is no trust issue beyond this in my mind. In his mind, maybe more. He is making this into a huge thing and it's making me mad b/c I didn't do anything wrong. Am I wrong for wanting one thing to myself? it's a place I go and vent to girlfriends about everything, like everyone does. It's a place I vent to myself sometimes. I actually write myself e-mails so I don't lose my mind and just so I could put it on paper. The last thing he said is basically either I let him see what's in there or else he wants to file. I am just in aweeee. This is dumb and if he's ready to give up now, it's almost not worth it. I LOVE HIM SOOOOOOOOOO much, but I can't deal with this stupid aggravation.

So opinions on this please.

overit2's picture

Sounds like a jealous control freak...tell him you're not budging. And if he walkts out yell after him "Dont't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you!"

Probably just bluffing anyways.

Yep, it just sounds stupid. We have had our past of dumb trust issues yearsssssss ago and now there is no reason to even think anything. I am not budging. I have had one friend tell me to just let him see it, who cares, but I wont do it. I thought of maybe opening it up and let him see what's in there, but he's not getting my password. I never asked for his and I don't plan on it. It's a dumb argument and I figured he was bluffing too. If not then it would be real sad to end it over something so dumb.

Tx mommy of 3's picture

He is the one hiding something from you. Whenever one person is dishonest, then they start not trusting the other (often innocent) party. Then accusations start, etc. Talk to him about what is really going on. I don't see the big deal about a password- that can always be changed anyway. You can tell him it and pacify him. However there is more going on here than him wanting to know your password.

I thought of that too. I don't think there is anything on his end either, but ya never know now that this dumb situation is coming up. He sent me a long sincere text, but in the end he still wants to see the account. I think this whole thing is dumb and exactly, I can change it anyways.

caregiver1127's picture

This is what my Ex used to do - he would get so pissed when he heard about people lying and do you want to know why because he was lying to me and having an affair. I would not let my DH see my email either - before I found this site I use to write emails to my girlfriends and sister about SS and BM - I don't want him seeing it - if he asked me and then threw in divorce I would not let him see it just on principle that is ridiculous - he needs to grow up!

That's exactly why I wont let him see it is b/c it's the principle. Now that you told me I HAD to let him see it or else....basically I am telling him or else b/c he's not getting it. I don't want divorce to be the or else, so we will see how it goes tonight when I get home from work if he backs down a bit.

I did a little digging today and I don't have anything on him. Not like there couldn't be something, but what I dug into, there is nothing. IDK what his prob is. He gets a thought into his head and just runs with it. I don't wanna get a divorce over this stupid reason, but I don't wanna give him my password either. He said he would give me any password I want and that he didn't think we had anything to hide from each other. I said we don't, but this is my one thing I want to myself and to quit making it into something it's not.

I am at the point that I am thinking, I put up with your kid, all of his drama on a daily basis for the past year and now this. I wanna say take this marriage and shove it, but I really don't mean it overall.

DaizyDuke's picture

This is a tough one... there must be a reason why your DH is concerned about your emails? I can't imagine that out of the blue he just decided one day that he would like to see your email account? Have you told him that your email is like your diary or personal journal?

I can see from his side that by you denying him, in his mind you are trying to hide something from him. Do you really think that he is going to file for divorce? Will he seriously go to a lawyer and tell him that his "grounds" for divorce are that you have an email account that you won't give him access to?? In my state at least, it wouldn't fly and he'd most likely be laughed out of the lawyer's office.

OMG Daisy, were you on the other end of my convo with my DH. I told him the same thing you said at the bottom about filing... Smile and the part about the e-mail being my own journal in a way.

We talked about the divorce for a sec. When I said what you said, he said he would tell the lawyer that there is no trust. I said yeah, now when you say it he will say then what happened? I said and when you say she wont give me the account number, you should feel stupid B/C IT SOUNDS STUPID.

We go from talking into him getting mad and then into the divorce talk. I am not sure if he really would. I think he's using it as leverage, but it's not going to work. So it's 2 stubborn people not budging. I am going to call his bluff b/c I wont give him the password. If he does go, REALLY then I guess it is what it is. I only say that b/c if he can't last in a marriage though one thing, then we won't work out anyway. Marriage is through thick and thin, not through one stupid fight.

I could see where he thinks I am being defensive and hiding something, I will give him that, but there is NOTHING else going on for him to think anything more.

We are from what I know at full disclosure.

I told him I tell you everything. I don't have anything to hide b/c you are my best friend. But, I also vent and write to myself on there things that I have in my mind and some of the things he can't handle hearing. Anything I think or say about his son, he gets defensive so if I am thinking something I write it down just to get it out of my head and just so we don't fight. He knows most of what I write anyway, but just like we write on here, it's our own feelings, but we don't want our DH or SO to know all we say or think b/c it might hurt their feelings.

He thinks there is more to my e-mail account then just me writing to it like it's my journal. I said I don't have a secret on-line life that you don't know about. Men vent differently from women so he can't comprehend that my e-mail account is not all just dirty jokes like most men have. They vent to friends in person if they vent at all. Women vent online, in person and on the phone.

He wants to see it and can't handle not being able too. You are correct. I told him I wouldn't ask him for his password b/c it's his account. I don't wanna know what's in it b/c I trust him that he isn't doing anything wrong. I really don't want his password so I don't ask to have this problem in case I ended up curious.

I have thought of if he is not bluffing and I come up with IDK. I don't want a divorce, but I don't want this held over my head anytime his boxers are in a bunch. In my mind I think if he can divorce me over this then we really wouldn't have lasted then if something big came up and needed us to stick together.

MARLA_823's picture

If you give him the password, he will have all the power. Everytime you have a fight, he will know he can wave divorce in your face and get his way. I hope you continue to be strong and don't give in, and I do hope you seek marriage counceling as well. This definitely is something bigger than a password.

skylarksms's picture

This IS something bigger than a password. This is control. This is not having respect for your spouse's boundaries.

Elizabeth's picture

I can definitely see both sides of this. DH has a separate computer at home where he does all his work and correspondence and he keeps it locked ALL THE TIME. If I'm working on my computer and our kids want to do something, they can't. I have called him to ask for the password and he won't give it to me. He won't even allow me access to our bank account (which he accesses online via his computer) without being there to monitor me. And the second I am done looking at it he locks the computer. All of this is suspicious to me. I told him he should give me the password, and he won't. I don't like it, BUT I didn't threaten divorce. I just told him that when he dies there will plenty of his friend who will never know because I don't know all their names and I won't be able to access his computer.

Do you see any other signs of something being wrong or a little off? do you think anything is going on behind your back for you to worry?

Elizabeth's picture

Actually, yes. Like he has multiple e-mail accounts and didn't tell me about them, so for the longest time I only knew about the one. What is he using the rest of them for? I don't know. And he had a Facebook account I didn't know about and when I sent him a friend request, suddenly he claimed he didn't remember the password to that one and he started a new one and friended me through it. And he'll come home from work an hour or more late and not tell me where he's been. Or he'll leave early in the morning without telling me; I'll just wake up and he's gone.

smommy1's picture

If I were you, I would *Google* each of his e-mail accounts with and without quotations around them. You never know what you can find Wink

caregiver1127's picture

Elizabeth does he make all the money and that is why you can't access the account by yourself because if he makes the money I am sure he is not at home taking care of the family - so if I were you I would start socking away some money this does not sound good - also having the computer under lock and key is suspect!

Elizabeth's picture

No, actually, I make about twice what he does. He doesn't want me to access it because he doesn't want me to see how much he is channeling to SD17.

caregiver1127's picture

Oh hell no - do you two fight about this a lot - I am just curious and is your money put into the account with his or do you have your own?

I LIKE IT.... Smile ALL OF IT...hehe. HE would be HOT and embarrassed. It would be funny on this end though..hehehe. Not a bad idea. I will def. keep that in mind.

pastepmomof3's picture

This is a tough choice. If you are venting your frustration and concern that you know he can't handle hearing but knows that you're feeling that way, then what does it hurt for him to see? He might get pissed that you're airing your "dirty laundry" to other people, but if there's nothing to hide, there's nothing to hide. At the same time, he needs to show you his email account too.

At the same time, and like so many people above have said, this is a control tactic and hanging a divorce over your head definitely is not healthy. Giving ultimatums like that generally doesn't go over well. In addition, let's just say you DO give him access to your email -- then what? What is the next thing that you get an ultimatum on?

I realize this is a principle thing. You say that you and he are best friends, so there has to be a way you can come to an amicable resolution to this. In addition, you may want to consider taking counseling together. It seems that there are some unresolved issues that are coming to the forefront that need addressed.

Good luck to you.

He knows I am annoyed with SS10, but I don't want him to take something out of context that I say. Which is easily done when you are talking about a DH's own kids. They are 10x's more defensive. Venting to a best friend or two is what woman do on an e-mail. There are things that they write that are very personal too. He asked me what I vent about and I told him flat out what it was. He thinks there is still more. So the no trust thing is not working out either.

The untimatum thing is def. not going over well with me. I don't need anyone telling me what I need to do. I am a grown woman and if this is what is going to make or break us then that is sad.

If it was facebook, myspace or anything like that, I think that should be an open book, sure. Like you said, that is something tons of people will see. An e-mail account is more of a private thing. We vent about work, home life, love life and everything else that nobody will see. When I am venting or I am the person they are venting too, it's usually just 2 friends. That is a more closed space so it's not like things are out there for everyone to see.

caregiver1127's picture

I agree with momoutofhermind2 - this is your personal email he needs to butt out - sounds like trust issues has something happened with either of your before?

skylarksms's picture

I have never given my H my password or anything like that BUT he did see me checking my email once and demanded to look to see what I had in there.

The result? He got upset because of some stupid SPAM email that was in my Inbox!! OMG, then I had to sit there and educate him about email accounts and unwanted email (aka Spam) that comes in the account, blah, blah, blah. He is not too computer literate.

Guess what? It didn't make him any more trustful of me than he was - which was not much in the first place!

wriggsy's picture

I am playing devils advocate here...

My question is...was he cheated on in a previous relationship? exW or another very important woman? My DH exW cheated on him unmercifully and he knew it. It destroyed him. My exH cheated on me, too. It took us both a LONG time to get over that and it took some serious soul searching to be able to trust another human being enough to just let go of those hurts. We both still get nervous every once in a while and need some extra attention. Saying that to say that if DH was severly hurt in a past relationship, while very controling, can be his attempt to reach out for a little re-affirmation (not even sure that's the right word I want to use...)

I'm not saying that what he is doing is altogether right, but maybe, there are underlying issues that he wants to talk about.

If all else fails, warn him that he will certainly see things that he will not like, he is welcome to look one time and that you will be changing your password after he is done. Make him understand that all sane women need a venting place and that vents are just what they are--vents. And those emotions can often times be scary for a man to see ....

Orange County Ca's picture

Does he want to open your mail also? Tell him email is no different. You don't open his and he doesn't open yours.

So tell him you're willing to give him access to anything you're allowed access to. In fact you want his passwords to his phone if he has passwords as well as his email. Tell him neither of you are allowed to erase messages or phone number records saved in the phone and ell him you'll have the right to open the US mail when it comes in also.

If there are no secrets in this marriage then there will be no secrets.

However if you're both willing to end a marriage over this I'd let it end. There's not much there to let this pull it apart however you are entitled to this privacy so its up to you.

Most Evil's picture

Wow this is a tough one. I would say give him the password - once you have all his passwords too. That is the only way it is fair.

He will most likely never even look at it, just afraid you are hiding something. I have asked DH to look up something on my e-mail when he was wigging out about it, just so he could see, there is nothing there from another man, etc. I have always had his passwords, he asks me to look up things on his too. I e-mail things to myself I don't want lost, documents, etc.

I try to be really careful what I put in writing, especially e-mail because it can be forwarded so easily. For journaling I like 'livejournal', set to completely private.

Rags's picture

I have my wife's E-mail PW and she has mine. We don't look unless one of us asks the other to get something out of the other's E-mail. Account passwords, plane tickets, etc....

As for the threats of divorce, the next time he throws the D-word out there on this topic tell him to hold a second, pick up your cell phone, dial 411 and ask for the number for the locksmith. Then turn to your DH and tell him that he has about 45mins to pack a bag and get the F out before the locksmith comes to change the locks.

Call his bluff.

This guy is a putz IMHO.

Best regards,

steptwins's picture

I'd give him the password but fuel the fire first. Make sure all email are about him & stepkid too. And how sad or depressed you are at home with your lack of privacy. Exaggerate via email how your life was so secure before you met him, and the dreams/goals you USED to have are now gone. He won't be interested too long in reading about you feel shortchanged or he could be interested and try to make you really happy.

smommy1's picture

I definately would not do this.It seems rather manipulative. You can make your own choices on how you want to act but you never have to stoop to your husbands level.

Like I said before, I would google his other e-mail accoutns to see if anything comes up and then I would look at that information and make a choice.

Can you live in a relationship that seems to be a little one sided and controlling or can you not?

It's a big question and will probably require a lot of reflection. I'm sorry you're going through this.

TheWickedStepmom's picture

The only time I ever had a man give a rat's a$$ about my e-mail password it was my 2nd ex, who I found out was not only having affairs, but he was also doing coke when he was on the road... he was an OTR truck driver. GREAT mood for 2 weeks while he was gone, then he'd come home and be a complete a$$hole to me and the kids the whole time he was home. It took a few months before I knew what was going on for sure because I had never been around drugs at all to know what signs there were. By the time I found everything out, it was like he had a whole other life while he was on the road that was completely seperate and independent from us.

I'm not saying that your dh is cheating or doing something dishonest, but it's definitely weird. Either someone's filling his head full of sh** or he's up to something himself. I do like someone else's idea of letting him see your email without actually giving him the password. Although I'd go hide those venting journal ones before you show it to him. If he sees that stuff, he'd probably be a total jerk about it.

keepinit2gether's picture

Make a new one and forward what you want to keep to it..delete anything personal show him then change your password..or just make one so similar he wont notice and apply to horoscopes and other random emails then give it to him..let him check it everyday lmao