You are here

Children separated

AlyssaHC's picture

So I will try my best to make this clear as possible.

My spouse was once married to a woman who had a child of her own then they later had two other children together.  She doesn’t take care of them well at all and she favors her oldest son. They got a divorce and now my spouse and I have a child together. Her oldest son has special needs and will no longer be covered under my spouses benefits. The school year has begun and it’s time that the boys should be separated. Although it would hurt to separate them because they’re brothers I just don’t want to take on the full responsibility of a child that doesn’t belong to neither my spouse or I. The mother already doesn’t take care of them or helps financially. She has kept the boys away from my souse simply because we don’t want to bring in an extra child. It’s already difficult to co parent with her. But now she wants to force us to take care of child just because she doesn’t want to separate them. Let I remind you she doesn’t help at all neither financially! Is it wrong to not want to take care of another persons child?

SteppedOut's picture

Hell no! 

Why on earth does she think that your husband should have to take her kid? This is completely unreasonable. Is there a court order for visitation? She can't withhold just because your husband will not take her other child. 

Crazy!

susanm's picture

If your DH does not have a custody order for his 2 sons then he needs to get one immediately.  He has no responsibility toward a child who is not his now that he is divorced from the mother whether she likes it or not.  If he wants to include the other boy in an activity once in a while and invite him to birthday celebrations that is great.  But his sons are his sons and they need to be with him and the other boy either needs to be with his own father or have a father figure family member or through an organization like the Boy Scouts or Big Brothers Big Sisters.  

Rags's picture

TIme for court.  BM cannot put stipulations on your DH's visitation with his children.  His former SKid is not subject to a CO that governs the custody, support and visation structure with his prior relationship children.

Any interface DH has with his former SS is up to him as well as the BM.  As for the BKs, that is a different ball of wax.

Harry's picture

want to take care of a special needs kid. Then she will call CPS. Telling you abused special needs kid